Problem Sonos Five ios 15.5 Mikrotik (speakers disappear and appear randomly)

Hi, I'm having problems with Iphone v15.5 in my Sonos Five System ( 8 Speakers)  the speakers at the moment disappear and after a while they appear alone, even remaining in the same physical place with the iphone.
Using the speaker system from a laptop the problem does not occur.

The confirmation number for the troubleshoot 1813330338

thanks.

11 replies

A SONOS connection is more complicated than a phone, pad, computer, etc. Even though each SONOS client will rebuild its own WiFi connection, they also need to also connect with each other and the controllers. When the SONOS WiFi connection is taken down the units must re-establish the inter-device connections. In a worst case I can imagine it could take 30 mins for a unit to be discovered. I don’t know if the SONOS units will attempt to renew their IP address during the reconnect. If a new address is assigned, this could fluster a controller that is working with an old address.

This is how you deduce, when Mikrotik is going to select a channel again, it disconnects the clients, most connect instantly but Sonos takes a long time

I’s not familiar with Miktrotik details. Can I assume that “00:00:00” implies that the Reselect time of day will be midnight?

Hello, it's been a long time, but I didn't want to stop commenting on how everything turned out here. the sonos equipment did not disappear anymore after changing the "reselect interval" value, by default it is 1 hour, and I was able to verify that when that time expires the sonos disconnect and take time to connect again, so I changed the parameter to 1 day.

The speakers will work hard to build and repair the mesh, but if an area turns out to be too difficult, you can move a speaker or introduce a BOOST about midway between a good and bad coverage area. BOOST can be wired or wireless. A distant unit may attempt to flip-flop between WM: 0 and WM: 1. This usually does not work well. Any combination of wired and wireless is supported -- up to 32 total units.

You can go to http://[address of a player]:1400/support/review and check the Network Matrix at the bottom.

This area is unloved, undocumented and the newest units don’t cooperate here, but you may learn something. Red cells in the matrix indicate potential wireless issues. Note that this is a static view. Refresh the page if you make a change or suspect that conditions have changed.

I really appreciate your answer, it is very informative.

initially in the same SSID 2.4 and 5ghz coexisted.

then separate the SSIDs with the band and channel settings you have recommended.

notice that the speakers changed from AP, at one point one was connected to AP1 then to AP2. To avoid this automatic change, create access rules so that it is always connected to a particular AP. I made this change today and I haven't been able to test it yet.

Currently all the sonos five are in WM: 1

So, as a plan B, just by connecting a network cable to a speaker, the sonos network is generated, even though some speakers are very far from each other?

Thanks again for the dedication.

Since you are using Miktrotik, I assume that you like to get your hands dirty while building and controlling things. Unfortunately, there is nothing to do other than make the SONOS LAN connection, then wait a couple minutes for the system to work out the details.

I’m not using Miktrotik, but I like to use separate SSID’s for 2.4 and 5GHz. This gives me some control over which access points the clients will use and minimizes the risk of an access point suddenly switching bands or channels. Use 20MHz channel 1, 6, or 11 on 2.4GHz.

You can go to Settings → System → About My System to check the details. “WM: 0” units are using SonosNet (the SONOS mesh), “WM: 1” is WiFi, and “WM: 2” units (surrounds and SUB’s) are using a private, direct 5GHz connection)

Thank you!
I appreciate your response.
It is possible to connect a SONOS FIVE to the wired network.
1.- Is the mesh network generated by itself? should I generate it?
2.- Then we have to connect all the Wifi speakers to a new SSID?

any instructions to do this?
I will take into account the change of the protocol to STP

If you wire one or more of your SONOS speakers to the LAN they will build a private wireless mesh network that is optimized for audio. The exceptions are MOVE and ROAM because they only use WiFi. If it is physically impractical to wire a current speaker, add a BOOST as the wired unit.

If you wire multiple SONOS units, make sure that your switch is set to STP, not RSTP.

Thank you!
then could I connect one of the 8 speakers to the main router, sorry if I don't understand, just connecting one of the 8 speakers can solve the problem?
In case I don't explain myself well, I leave a simple map of my connection, POE switch, connect each Access Point POE, and the speakers are connected via WiFi.
Thank you

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @infofer 

Welcome to the Sonos Community!

Your speakers are having trouble with what looks like band steering on your WiFi network - the easiest solution to this would be to permanently connect any one of your Sonos products to the router with an ethernet cable, keeping it at least 1m away from the router.

If this isn’t an option, I recommend you get in touch with our technical support team, who will look at the details of your network and assist you with alternate options.

I hope this helps.