Answered

Problem in reconfiguring Symfonisk speaker

• 28 February 2021
  • 3 replies

My Symfonisk speaker was working fine until a few months ago. Then it started to not being visible from the app (or being seen over AirPlay2). Only after force killing and restarting the app a few times the unit would wake up and become visible. 

Now this is not happening anymore, so I decided to reset and reconfigure the unit. The app finds the unit and seems to start configuration (sound is playing) but after a while it says that it lost connection, to power down and then on again the Symfonisk unit. 

Went through the process many times but always same results. Things already tried based on other posts found in the community: 

• moved speaker closer to the router
  • connected speaker to router via ethernet cable
  • deleted and reinstalled app on my iPhone

Does anyone have an idea of how to solve this problem?

icon

Best answer by buzz 1 March 2021, 00:50

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Userlevel 7

Have you tried rebooting your router or changing the router’s wireless channel?

Couldn’t do that because I had some downloads in progress, but did that this morning and same results… :unamused:

What do you mean by changing channel? Restriciting the router to just one channel? I can try, but I think that having less channels mean having less chances to find some free space in the air.

Generally, auto channel assignment is a bust. 

The only “free” channels are 1, 6, and 11. Other channels are not actually free and will interfere with each other. Channels are actually five channels wide. Channel 2 will overlap and interfere with channels 1 through 7. For some reason, in auto mode most router manufacturers allow their units to shop for any apparently vacant channel. There will not be any savvy users on channel 2. If the router moves onto the seemingly vacant channel 2 it will interfere on channels 1-7 and channels 1 and 6 will interfere with channel 2. Rather than a win for the channel 2 user, everyone in the area (including the channel 2 user) suffers.

If you install a WiFi scanner on your device you may be able to find a better channel and this “best” channel may vary from hour to hour and day to day. I look for channels that are relatively free from nearby “auto” or “smart” users (not using  channel 1, 6, or 11). For example if I notice an occasional weak channel 9 user and a regular, much stronger channel 5 user, I’ll use channel 11.

Another problem is using “wide’ or 40MHz channels. While 40MHz channels might offer higher speeds in a sparsely populated area, they cause more interference and are more easily interfered with in normal residential areas. You should not use 40MHz channels and stay away from them if possible.