Question

Problem following Controller software upgrade

• 14 August 2017
  • 3 replies

I updated the software on my windows pc and now when i play music the song plays, from one speaker in a two speaker group, then seconds later begins playing from the second speaker concurrently. How do I get my system working again?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Let me restate what I understand, just to be sure.

You have a pair of Sonos speakers, set up as a stereo pair (or perhaps grouped), and when you try to play music on them, one starts immediately, and the other delays several seconds before then playing?

Are the speakers in sync when the second one finally starts?

Are they stereo paired, or just grouped as 2 rooms?

Since this started after a controller app update, which causes the speakers to do a soft reboot, it's more than likely a duplicate IP issue, although there are other possibilities.

Start by unplugging both the Sonos speakers. Do a power cycle of your router. Once the router is back up, say after 2 minutes, plug back in one of the two Sonos speakers, and wait a minute or two again, then plug in the second speaker.

If that doesn't clear up the issue, there's some other steps that you might try. If they're grouped speakers, rather than stereo paired, try starting the group with the other speaker first, and then add in the second (do it in reverse of how you normally do it).

Check for potential wifi interference near that second speaker, the one that starts late. It may be having trouble getting the wifi signal in the beginning.

Finally, if none of this works, I'd recommend that you submit a system diagnostic, and post the number here, for the folks at Sonos to look at.
Hi Bruce, Many thanks! Its working. I took your "IP issue" idea and powered off/on the router as a shortcut.
Just to be clear the speakers are paired rather than grouped (I have 4 speakers in 2 pairs). They were not in synch. Most unsettling 🙂 The problem may have been related to my use of SKYQ mini boxes that act as range extenders. Anyway it is fixed many thanks.
Great, I'm glad it worked.

One note of caution, just powering off and on the router isn't a good solution, you have to do the speakers at the same time. Both sides of that equation keep a record of what IP address they're assigned to, so if you only power down one side, it will still connect to the same IP address when it comes back up. Only by powering down both sides can you be sure that there will be a full reset.

Range extenders tend not to be supported by Sonos, so they may well have been a source of the issue, but I'm not an expert there. I'm just happy it's working properly for you now.