Answered

Popping sound in my Sonos Play 5 Surrounds

• 8 February 2016
  • 40 replies

I have a stereo paired set of Play 5's. A few days ago I started getting a weird popping sound coming from my right side sonos 5 speaker. The popping sound doesn't start immediately when the system is running. It starts after the speakers have been running for 15-20mins. At first the popping sound comes at about 5 second intervals, but after about 60-90seconds the sound comes at about 2 second intervals. My sonos speakers are only 2yrs old. The sound popping sound still sounds even when I mute the speaker. Anyone have any ideas?
icon

Best answer by Ryan S 31 August 2016, 03:56

The latest Sonos version in beta should largely fix this issue, we're still looking into it to make certain, but it should be much better if you're on beta.

Just to clarify for anyone new to this issue, the topic is specifically for an issue with some PLAY:5 gen2 units which are bonded with the PLAYBAR in surround configuration. Sometimes you could notice a slight popping audio sound which is being worked on. This doesn't have any affect on PLAY:5s not in surround configuration.
View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

40 replies

Badge
I have this same issue with my play 5s (2nd gen). Have you gotten this resolved?
Userlevel 1
Badge
I had the same issue with my play 3, continued crackling and intermittent loud pops. The issue seemed to go away after a hard reset but it returned after 20 or so minutes of playing. It's about 1.5 years old and out of warranty. Your only option is a refurbished replacement (the play 3 is $130) with only a 90 day warranty. If this one breaks, I'm selling all my sonos devices. It's definitely not worth the price tag if they continue to break and are not covered for something out of my control, especially with so many more options on the market now.
Badge
My Play 5s are under warranty. They said it was my playbar that was having the issue. I switched the playbar out and have the same issue. They have been as helpful as they can, but I'm getting to the same point.
Badge +1
Have you guys tried unplugging the speakers when they're not in use?
Badge
No. Does that fix it?
Userlevel 1
Badge

Perfect! When I set my sonos as an alarm to wake me up in the morning - I'll just set my phone to wake me up 10 minutes before sonos then walk over to the speaker, plug it back in, then peacefully fall back asleep so that sonos can wake me up! Though, I really hope it doesn't pop loudly before the alarm goes off. Now that I think about it, I'm not sure this solution is very good but I'll certainly give it a shot!
Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Perfect! When I set my sonos as an alarm to wake me up in the morning - I'll just set my phone to wake me up 10 minutes before sonos then walk over to the speaker, plug it back in, then peacefully fall back asleep so that sonos can wake me up! Though, I really hope it doesn't pop loudly before the alarm goes off. Now that I think about it, I'm not sure this solution is very good but I'll certainly give it a shot!

Hi Sholnay,

Please send in a diagnostic report after you hear the popping sound, then reply here with the confirmation number, here's how.
Badge
Sonos told me it's a known issue and to stand by for a resolution. No ETA
Userlevel 1
Badge
Sonos told me it's a known issue and to stand by for a resolution. No ETA

Well that's a crock of stuff - I just spent $130 to get a replacement refurbished unit.. I'd be interested in knowing what the resolution is when you hear it.
Userlevel 1
Badge

Hi Sholnay,

Please send in a diagnostic report after you hear the popping sound, then reply here with the confirmation number, here's how.

Thanks for the reply but I was being facetious, the poster above who suggested unplugging the speakers when not using them was being ridiculous. I've already submitted diagnostics and you have not been able to provide any solutions other than sending my unit in because it's apparently defective.
Badge
I was told to get a replacement playbar for $180. I tried my other playbar and had the exact same issues! Glad I didn't listen to them on that. $1000 worth of Play 5s, I shouldn't have to be waiting. 😞
Badge
I would request my $130 back because that's not right
Userlevel 1
Badge
I would request my $130 back because that's not right

Well, what option do I have? I can throw my current unit in the trash, I can buy a new play 3 for $300, or I can push my luck with a used unit for $130. Might as well try the refurb route - I just hope that if it's going to fail, it fails in the 90 day warranty period since that's all that sonos will cover. This is why if I get another failure, I'm selling all my working units on ebay and switching to chromecast audio - I'd rather take a failure on a $30 unit than a $300.
Badge
True
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Hi everyone,

If you have audio issues with your speakers, please reach out to our phone team. If you feel that your issue has not been resolved properly, let the phone team know and your ticket will be escalated to higher tiers of support.
Badge
Hello all,

I have a pair of Play 5s gen 2 and a Playbar setup in my living room, and I feel like I may be having a similar problem to some of you. My system works perfectly 99% of the time, but every 5 minutes of so, regardless of it I'm playing music or watching a movie on the tv, one play 5 will make a popping noise. Usually it's just one loud "pop" or crackle type noise, then the audio resumes as normal. At first I felt like it may be a problem with the power going into the speaker or my wifi connection, but I'm starting to believe it may be the speaker itself. Does Sonos do exchanges for faulty speakers if that is the case?
Badge
They do exchanges but this is a known issue! A replacement won't fix it. We need answers here! I can't stand my Sonos anymore!
Badge
A $500 speaker should not be having this problem
Badge
Agreed. I'd rather go back to play 3s at this point or even play 1s.
Badge
How long do you plan to wait for a fix?
Badge
No idea, but I can't stand it. I have a play 1 system with a playbar in my basement that I like better at this point.
Badge
Jeff @ Sonos or any other user - Has anyone tried a bridge or boost to see if this prevents the popping noises?
Badge
I have a mine setup with a bridge.
Badge
Well that blows that thought! Thanks for letting me know!
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Hi everyone,

Audio popping is not normal. If you have a speaker making this type of noise, please reach out to our phone team for help. In some cases there may be a configuration issue (line-in source and autoplay), and in some cases there may be a hardware issue. Our phone team will help find a resolution. You can find our phone number and hours in your region here.