Answered

poor volume levels on playbase

Recently bought a new playable and the sound levels with the tv speakers off are frankly disappointing turned up full to 100 its only just loud enough for my large room and no volume at all under 75 surely this can't be right ...
icon

Best answer by MrFrayBentos 6 February 2018, 16:36

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

61 replies

Random thought here, since I have no real reference on what you think is appropriate, but have you checked the audio settings on the TV itself to make sure that the audio out is set to "Fixed" as opposed to "Variable" . I think your TV volume settings may be impacting the "volume" of the stream sent out to the Playbase, even with your speakers turned off. I suppose you could try just turning up the TV sound with the TV remote, if that would work, but many TVs have a setting to keep the volume at a constant level when sending it out to another device.
Same problem here: my playbase volume is barely acceptable at 90 watching Netflix and Plex movies and about good at 70 watching TV. Was expecting a far more fuller sound from a product of this cost, my marantz amp and zensor 3 speakers were ugly in comparison but really in another league
Today Itried all setups but it seems that the volume of playbase is barely sufficient for my not so big room. I will return playbase to Amazon and move back my stereo setup, much more musical and loud than playbase (albeit not so elegant). Really upset as I like my play:5.
Got that same issues here, using Spotify the sound is great and more than adequate.From a Sky Q box I have to use around 90% volume for normal day to day watching. Same issue running an Xbox One. Either passing audio through an AV receiver or direct to the Playbase.....Also using with 2 Play 1's, any ideas Sonos?
Userlevel 5
Badge +9
I'm looking at getting a Playbase but this issue is putting me off slightly. I googled it and found one review that mentioned the sound needed cranking up to quite a high level although none of the other reviews mentioned it. Clearly a few people here have the same issue and I was wondering if it's just to do with the TV settings as Airgetlam mentioned.

Any thoughts anyone?

Cheers
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Hi Jacob, we haven't seen much around this being an issue, in my experience, the PLAYBASE can get really loud. This could be a matter of the format coming in or the device sending it, though digital signals usually don't have audio control on them. In the end, the sound is something you'll have to judge for yourself, so we'd recommend trying one out. You can use our money back guaranty for units purchased through our store to try it in your home.
Userlevel 1
Badge +4
I just setup my playbase yesterday, and the volume is excellent. I know this doesn't help your situation but thought I'd throw it out there.
Badge
Similar issue here. When first installed PlayBase, normal TV volume setting was at 25 to 30. Over time, PlayBase is getting quieter and quieter. By now TV volume needs to be set at 85 to 95. Not much more room to go and already too quiet for music listening.

Are the speaker drivers being blown out one by one?

Sent an email to Sonos support, but no reply yet.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Hi Rysz, that's odd. If the drivers were going out, you'd usually notice it in a different way. The others would be just as loud and the "stage" would be missing parts. Also, you'd probably hear some artifacts or clipping in the sound. I'll make sure your ticket is in the right hands and you'll be getting a reply from a technician soon, if not already.
Badge
Sorry about the double post. This site doesn't play well on iPad. The first post did not appear, so I thought it didn't post. Seems that add blockers block Replies from showing. Odd.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Sorry about the double post. This site doesn't play well on iPad. The first post did not appear, so I thought it didn't post. Seems that add blockers block Replies from showing. Odd.

No problem, I removed the duplicate. It looks like the ticket is in good hands right now. They'll dig a bit into it and will be in touch soon.
Sure, Ryan. You removed it.

🙂
Userlevel 5
Badge +11
I'm looking at getting a Playbase but this issue is putting me off slightly. I googled it and found one review that mentioned the sound needed cranking up to quite a high level although none of the other reviews mentioned it. Clearly a few people here have the same issue and I was wondering if it's just to do with the TV settings as Airgetlam mentioned.

Any thoughts anyone?

Cheers

I own one; it can go very loud. I rarely run it at 50% volume in a large living room, and I never even go above 80%. You can go outside with the door closed and hear it at that level.

I would guess it's the device passing the audio to the playbase at fault in these instances.
Badge

Any thoughts anyone?

Cheers

I own one; it can go very loud. I rarely run it at 50% volume in a large living room, and I never even go above 80%. You can go outside with the door closed and hear it at that level.

I would guess it's the device passing the audio to the playbase at fault in these instances.

I would highly recommend that you listen to the PLAYBASE in person. From a personal standpoint, I wouldn't equate listening to music or watching TV at high levels as a factor of quality.
We are having the same problem - volume is great for music but have to turn up to maximum to get anything from he TV - and this is new in the last few days. Brand new playbase and TV just set up 3 weeks ago. Any ideas?
jdc26,

Please check the second post in this thread.
Arigetlam,

I read the whole thread, thanks. The volume on my TV is already set to fixed, that is not the issue.

I was looking for new suggestions.
Badge
jdc26,
Please check the second post in this thread.

For the record, Fixed vs. Variable volume was not the issue for me and I doubt it's the issue for the new posters with the same problem.
My issue was never resolved, even though Support tried to assist. Their suggestions, although earnest, seemed to be just wild guesses going around in circles. I just gave up...
That's too bad. I sent an email to support last night. For the $$ I paid for this system I sure hoped it would hold up longer than a few weeks.
Userlevel 5
Badge +11
That's too bad. I sent an email to support last night. For the $$ I paid for this system I sure hoped it would hold up longer than a few weeks.
Since the device plays music at the proper volume that implies the issue is not with the hardware.

I obviously can't for certain without seeing your device, I think you've seen the most common issue with these characteristics is a television setting. I don't know if your particular model supports them, but, I'll throw out one idea...

Presumably you're referring to television volume that's being delivered through a cable box/similar device. If your TV supports apps (ie. Youtube or the like) I would be curious to know if you get any more "loudness" when playing it.
Same issue for all TV output - cable, Netflix, Hulu, etc.

While this works perfectly for music the fact that there is an issue working with my brand new 2017 model TV is, in fact, an issue with hardware that is marketed specifically to be used as part of a home theater system.
Badge
Since the device plays music at the proper volume that implies the issue is not with the hardware.

We don't know if it's hardware or software, but its with Playbase.

Music from Sonos is via Ethernet or Wi-Fi connection, but TV audio is via optical cable, so the two don't go thru the same hardware/software processing route. If that same optical connection had no volume issues with other receivers or soundbars, I'd put my money on Sonos Playbase being the culprit. I'd also venture to narrow it down and say it's with the optical signal processing unit, hardware, software, or both.

Was kind of hoping for a Playbase software update by now...
Userlevel 5
Badge +11

We don't know if it's hardware or software, but its with Playbase.

First, the way you have explained your issue it is different than what the other people in this thread have experienced, so please don't confuse my advice for them with what you're experiencing.

My comment was that it "implies" the hardware is not at fault, and I stand by that statement. It's possible that it still is, but it's much less prevalent than the configuration issues.

Your suggestion that it's "with Playbase" is an assumption based on what?

If that same optical connection had no volume issues with other receivers or soundbars, I'd put my money on Sonos Playbase being the culprit.

Maybe you tested your TV's optical out, but I've seen nothing to indicate that from the other poster. My suggestion was an attempt to isolate the issue.
I'd also venture to narrow it down and say it's with the optical signal processing unit, hardware, software, or both.

I'm not sure if it's narrowing when you include everything but the TV :D

Same issue for all TV output - cable, Netflix, Hulu, etc.

While this works perfectly for music the fact that there is an issue working with my brand new 2017 model TV is, in fact, an issue with hardware that is marketed specifically to be used as part of a home theater system.

Look, I get that you're unhappy with the product. I wish you weren't having issues, but I'm just another Sonos customer. I have no interest in your views on the Sonos marketing experience, but I would like to help a fellow human with their issue.

To that end, hardware is not a synonym for the entire product. It's inaccurate to state it as such, and it won't help troubleshoot your issue.

Their suggestions, although earnest, seemed to be just wild guesses going around in circles.
Yeah. This is a Community forum, where people will offer what advice they can give. If you want the official technical support, I'd recommend contacting them directly for the best experience. They visit here, but it's not the same kind of attention you'll get from that:
https://www.sonos.com/contact
When at the loudest setting, my playbase is very loud and what I would think the loudest setting would be when playing music through my phone only. When watching TV, Netflix, Hulu, etc. the loudest setting seems much less loud than when listening to music. It's very odd.
Same issue as described.

For 2 weeks after buying the Playbase the audio levels matched spotify/music. So it would go incredibly loud.

Then it just randomly went quiet and I would have to max the volume out when watching TV for an almost loud enough level of sound. Tested Apple TV and the Samsung TV apps separately, tripple checked every setting possible.

Spotify continues to work perfectly, which means if I ever turn spotify on sonos volume level is mind blowingly loud(from the tv volume), not fun when I forget about the level difference.

I gave up and bought a new TV thinking that the TV was the problem. I got a new TCL and guess what, same issue.

So the Sonos is absolutely the problem and it's limited to the optical connection. Sonos, fix the issue or tell us how please. I'm having the same issue as the others here. I love the Sonos if it would just work.