Podcasts - play from this phone - constantly cut out random spots

Happening constantly to me. Basically can not use the play from iPhone podcast option. Every podcast cuts out randomly at some point and moves to the next in queue. Replay it and it cuts out at a different point. New iPhone X, new AC5400 router, Playbar all about 2 meters from each other.

Shame as I bought the Sonos to play podcasts while in the kitchen. Was using a Bluetooth speaker before. Who would have thought Bluetooth was more reliable than WiFi.

This sucks. Why did I waste this money. Technology disappoints yet again. It doesn’t even retry, if it is a WiFi issue, just skips to next track.. using the WiFi.. which then plays seemlessly for x number of minutes... and repeat. It’s TCP isn’t it? Not UDP. Why can’t it resend packets if it thinks there is a issue with WiFi which seems to be the generic sonos “they won’t be able to determine the issue if we blame their WiFi” response from every other case I’ve read.

If it’s a WiFi issue, which I doubt, please update the way your software is determining how to react to what must be extremely loss jitter, latency thresholds or packet loss.

This is not usable. An IP phone on this same WiFi network works flawlessly with zero packet loss and about 2ms of latency variation.

16 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +19
Hello there, everyone. Thanks for posting about this. When it comes to playing content from "On this device" or "On this iPhone", WiFi cards on mobile devices typically cannot keep up with the 10ms buffer needed by Sonos. This can be tested by pinging the IP address of your mobile device. If the time it takes for the ping to come back exceeds 10ms, it is likely the connection between the mobile device itself and Sonos.

In most cases, we recommend storing this content on a local music library to then play through Sonos. This will ensure that Sonos can access the data with no spikes in latency.
Hi thanks for the reply this is good info to know.

Question - is there anyway to increase the jitter buffer on the device or software? 10ms for a buffer is pretty low in networking standards, 40ms is typical jitter buffer for IP voice channel end points. I understand this may impsct sync with TV if it’s too much buffer... but a dynamic buffer that can determine music or podcasts from tv Digital audio in would be great.

Much less annoying then podcasts constantly terminating.

FYI the podcast list available inside the Sonos app is pretty weak. If the app could simply give me access to ANY podcast hosted by Apple and negate my need to ever use the Apple podcast app (to download, then play via Sonus app) it would be a lot less clunky.

The TV experience with Sonos products in 10/10. I’m sure the music streaming service is just as good. I don’t listen to music so your constant marketing tagline “for people who love music” is lost on me. For Podcasts... the experience is about a 3/10 for ease of use, reliability, content options. 3 out of 10 times I may try using Sonos, because it sounds awesome... 7 out of 10 times I’m cursing your name, hating the fact technology can never give me everything I need, and putting headphones in and opening the Apple podcast app.

Thanks for the insight though. Hope the feedback is helpful.
I saved the podcast to my phone - as suggested - but it still cuts off randomly after a few minutes and skips to the next podcast.
Please go back and re-read Jeff S’ post. He does not recommend anywhere in that post to download the podcast to your phone.
Userlevel 7
Badge +19
Hi, bradm00r3. Welcome to the community. Can you please submit a diagnostic and respond with the confirmation number? This way we can determine where the fault lies. Many thanks.
I am having the exact same issue and level of frustration as bradm00r3. Through the app - I submitted diagnostics. What is the next step in resolving this?
Hi, bradm00r3. Welcome to the community. Can you please submit a diagnostic and respond with the confirmation number? This way we can determine where the fault lies. Many thanks.

Just happened. Happening less tonight.

Diagnostic is: 455815517
Userlevel 7
Badge +19
Glad to help color in some details, bradm00r3. When it comes to increasing the jitter buffer, there isn't an option to adjust that in the software currently. However, I'll be sure to pass this topic along to the team to get more eyes on this.

That being said, let's talk about podcast solutions on Sonos. I've heard a number of users here in the Community that swear by Pocket Casts. Spotify has a great podcast selection as well. Personally, I've been using the native Spotify app and play podcasts through Sonos.

Thanks again for the feedback! We are always looking for ways to make Sonos better.
My podcast just cut out for the umpteenth time this morning. As others have said, if I have another queued it will jump to that, otherwise playback just stops. I have submitted a diagnostics report: 1447688867
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
My podcast just cut out for the umpteenth time this morning. As others have said, if I have another queued it will jump to that, otherwise playback just stops. I have submitted a diagnostics report: 1447688867

HI there,

It looks like you're playing the podcast from your iOS device's storage. There's an issue that can cause audio skips when you are playing from the storage on an iOS device while you have non-Sonos AirPlay devices on your network and your iOS device goes into auto lock. You can get the stream going by disabling AirPlay on any non-Sonos devices in your home, or by disabling auto lock in the iOS settings menu under display and brightness.

You may want to reach out to our phone team if you'd prefer not to disable AirPlay or auto lock. You can find our phone number and hours here.
Having same issue. Diagnostic is 768331006
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Having same issue. Diagnostic is 768331006

If you have any audio interruptions while playing form sources other than your iOS device, try changing your router's wireless channel to a less crowded one. Channels 1 and 11 look better in your area.

This will not help with playback issues when streaming from the storage on your iOS device. For that, you can disable AirPlay on any non-Sonos devices in your network, or disable auto lock on your iOS device in its settings menu under display and brightness.

You can bypass this issue by downloading your music library to a computer or NAS drive, then setting up a music share. This gives you access to your music library, using any controller, even if there are non-Sonos AirPlay devices active, and when your iOS device goes to sleep or offline entirely.
understood. My comment was in response to an earlier suggestion. I’m just trying to add data to the thread. I actually got a message from sonos yesterday (maybe because I submitted a diagnostic) that they will no longer support the “on this phone” function. So I guess that’s the answer.
Spotify solution sucks. Can't automatically download subscribed podcasts. Can't add RSS feed podcasts. A few of my favorite NPR podcasts aren't even available. I'll spend an hour futzing with Pocketcasts when I have nothing better to do with my life, and hope I can get migrated over there, and hope it works better than Spotify, and hope it solves the problem Sonos created.
Userlevel 5
Badge +13
Spotify solution sucks. Can't automatically download subscribed podcasts. Can't add RSS feed podcasts. A few of my favorite NPR podcasts aren't even available. I'll spend an hour futzing with Pocketcasts when I have nothing better to do with my life, and hope I can get migrated over there, and hope it works better than Spotify, and hope it solves the problem Sonos created.

TuneIn also has a podcasts section, as does Google Play Music.
10ms is insane. Running a ping from my iPhone X to an Ubiquiti AP-AC-LR-Pro access point that's about 12 feet line-of-sight from me shows an average 6.612ms and 8.463ms worst ping time to my gateway (everything else in the route is wired gigabit). I struggle to think of a real-world situation in which you WON'T at some point exceed 10ms, as you, say, walk around the house, even WITHOUT AP handoff coming into play. (sidenote: amazingly, most of my podcast playback issues over the years have been when the phone is sitting perfectly still near an AP, so handoff actually seems to work surprisingly well given this new 10ms info I'm just hearing of today).

Thankfully, the solution seems to be ignoring the problem for however many years I've been reporting it (just checked; Feb 2017), and then just deprecating podcast playback entirely which I found out today in a little popup in my Sonos app.

I see others have recommended Pocketcasts and Stitcher but I've never had a reason to investigate a non-native Podcast app -- well, I have Overcast, didn't particularly love it, and it turned out it wasn't supported on Sonos anyway, so I gave it up a month or two into trying it. There are non-zero switching costs for every user to download new apps and load up their playlists and integrate everything. Not every single user is up on every single app that comes out that might be supported. In fact, I forgot I even had a forum account until I started searching for how to work around this problem, given that I have a bunch of Play:1s that don't support Airplay2; I thought they were going to effectively become useless at this time.

Remember, most users use their Sonos as a tool, it's not a major part of their lives as it is if you're an employee and know, inside-and-out, every integration that's offered. It might be helpful to provide more context and detail in the messages you push to users to help them understand what their alternatives are, rather than thinking their devices have been deprecated.

But I appreciate the timely mention of Spotify in this thread. I was actually in the process of installing Pocketcasts when I saw this post. That'll save me a lot of effort-- I'm already a Spotify subscriber, but never bothered to try their podcasts, and forget they did them at all. Yet another project, to move all of my podcasts to a whole new ecosystem! But at least it's one I'm already a part of.

thanks,

• reid