Podcasts on Sonos not showing episode length so can't forward or rewind

• 27 February 2017
  • 28 replies

Userlevel 1
OK - here's my podcast on my iPad

clearly showing the episode length and here's the same podcast in the Sonos app

with no episode length. It doesn't happen on all podcasts but when it does you can't fast forward or rewind the podcast. Can this be fixed?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

28 replies

Hello Steve Mo, sorry for the late reply, but wanted to check in with you to see if you are still experiencing this issue. Feel free to reply here, or contact us directly via the information at this link.
Userlevel 1
I am having this exact same issue. Listened to half a podcast on my headphones. Now I want to finish it at home but have to start the whole thing over in order to play on Sonos. Extremely aggravating. Any fix for this?
I'm having this issue too. Has anyone figured out a fix?
I'm having the same issue -- listening to an on-demand radio show from Apple Music. I confirmed that this occurs only in the Sonos app. If I play from Apple Music, I have this information and the control to rewind/fast forward.
I am having the same problem with the new UPDATE. Can you fix this?
I actually fixed the problem by uninstalling and then reinstalling the app. The slider bar reappeared. I don't know why it vanished in the first place but not it has come back.
I’ve been having this issue as well. Started when I installed an app update a few months ago. Unbelievableably frustrating!
Userlevel 7
Badge +19
Hi there, kra2106. Thanks for posting and welcome to the Community. Have you tried removing the app and re-downloading the app? Additionally, please submit a diagnostic report and reply with the seven-digit confirmation number it gives at the end. Thanks again!
This just started with mine also. The podcast somehow skipped to next one. I went back to the one I was listening to and it started over. I can’t fast forward. I reinstalled app and still no luck.
Submitted diagnostics. #1039570236
Userlevel 7
Badge +19
Hi there, Harris_H. Thanks for posting and welcome to the Community. Based on the errors in the diagnostic report, it seems Sonos had lost connection to your iPad while playing the BeerSmith Podcast. In this case, Sonos did not lose connection to the network but the source itself (your iPad) that has no longer able to be found on the network.

Can you tell us a little more about your local network? What is the make and model of the router you are using? Do you have any extenders or access points?

Thanks!
Userlevel 1
Badge
I too have this problem. No "dot", no skip to next track, no ability to drag to any particular point in the track. If you miss something, you have to start over. Further, no podcast data either (similar to the album data they have for other services).

I have 9 (NINE) Sonos devices in a mere 1800 sq. foot ranch house. My walls are cheap drywall (not plaster/lathe) and I'm a good 100 feet from any neighbor (in separate houses, not connected units) and I have no neighbors in the back and no other wireless devices aside from my phones and one laptop. Yet, my Sonos items are constantly struggling with connection in a small isolated space. NINE devices. My "Sonos Net" should be a blanket of Sonos data, but it's not. It's ridiculous. Apparently this connection issue (per the Sonos rep above) is the reason my podcasts don't work correctly. This is, though, a Sonos issue. Do they expect us to keep all our devices in a single room hard wired together with a faraday cage surrounding them to protect from outside interference? That's clearly not how they advertise their products, but sometimes, it seems that is the only way you'll get everything up and running as it should.

Sonos... a great concept that frustrates and disappoints over and over again.
Userlevel 7
Badge +19
Hi there, david2pro. Thanks for posting! What problems are you having in particular? If you are having troubles with dropouts, I'd suggest giving our support technicians a call to troubleshoot this in real time. While SonosNet by itself can give many benefits, it still needs to deal with other wireless devices in the environment taking up the same wireless channel and bandwidth. The technicians can set up a remote session to get a closer look at what your specific wireless environment looks like and help identify some pain points.

Thanks again!
Badge +1
Hello Sonos customer service. The lack of FF and REWIND for podcasts saved in the iOS Podcast app seems to be a missing feature and not a network issue. Please try this on your own iPhones and let us know whether or not FF/REWIND works for you. Thank you.
Userlevel 7
Badge +19
Hey there, iwolf81. Thanks for posting. While there are no "Fast Forward" or "Rewind" buttons, if you would like to jump to a particular section in your podcast, just grab the little white dot underneath the time stamp and drag it to the desired time in the podcast. Hope you find this helpful!
Badge +1
Hello Keith,

Thank you for quickly responding. Unfortunately there is no slider dot as the attached screen shot illustrates.

Best,
Ira
Userlevel 7
Badge +19
Thanks for the screenshot, Ira. Happy to help. Can you walk me through the steps you go through to start playback of the podcast? Normally, there should be an end time on a podcast saved on your iOS device.
Badge +1
Hi Keith,

I just looked at the lock screen while listening to the podcast, and both the start and end times show "--:--".

I started the podcast as follows:
1. Ensure iphone on same network as Sonos devices
2. Select Browse -> On this iPhone -> Podcasts.
3. Select desired podcast icon.
4. Select sole track at bottom, which causes playback to begin.

Additional shots are below, including lock screen.

Best,
Ira
Badge +1
Hmmm, pics were left out of last reply. Hopefully they're here now.
Userlevel 7
Badge +19
Hmm. Does this happen on all podcasts? If you start the podcast on your iPhone but use another Sonos controller (on a tablet or your computer), are you able to scrub through the podcast?
Badge +1
Hello Keith,

Great question! The slider is present for one of my podcasts! The issue does seem podcast specific; it was present on four of my five podcasts. I tried switching from the podcast where it works correctly to another one where it doesn't; that action did NOT resolve the issue. I am guessing that the broken podcasts do not include an end time marker and the app is not enabling the slider if it's not present.

Best,
Ira
Userlevel 7
Badge +19
It could be something with the downloaded file of that podcast. Try removing the download from your phone and re-download the podcast. After, give it another go on Sonos and let us know if it works out.
Badge +1
Hi Keith,

I think this was partly a UI error and partly an RTFM error (on my part.) I *thought* I was playing a *downloaded* episode, but it turns out the episode wasn't actually downloaded. The podcast is shown in the Podcast app but upon closer inspection it was playing from the cloud. (I really thought I did download all the episodes on my iPhone.) Since the episode wasn't downloaded, there probably wasn't an end time marker for it, which prevented the Sonos app from calculating an advance rate for the slider, thus the slider to be disabled.

I realize that this is NOT a Sonos defect; however, could you devise a workaround that enables the slider for non-downloaded episodes? That would avoid much confusion and frustration in many of your customers.

Thank you,
Ira
Userlevel 7
Badge +19
I'll be sure to pass that feedback along to the team. Glad to hear it's been sorted, Ira.

Enjoy!
My system is doing the same. Podcast not showing length in Sonos app but length is shown in podcast app on IOS. Reinstalling Sonos app no difference. Sometimes the workaround is deleting the podcast from the podcast app, search and download it again, restart apps, various, and then after 1-5 attempts is will show the length in the Sonos app, length is always shown in the podcast app. It's the most annoying thing with my else beloved Sonos system (running 3 AMPS, 1 connect, 1 Sonos 5. Running good wifi coverage, UBNT, have no issues with 20-30 clients on ... only podcasts that's 1 hours long, that can't be forwarded... every 3rd. time approx.