Podcasts

• 5 February 2019
  • 14 replies

I've just spent an hour of my time trying to set up either itunes or Podcasts on my Sonos Speaker and am really struggling. I don't pay for Apple Music but have an itunes account - I don't seem to be able to set up itunes as a source on the Sonos which is frustrating
I want to listen to News Podcasts from MSNBC in particular - why is this so difficult? Any suggestions welcomed please

TBH I'm really regretting buying a Sonos, it has great sound but is very inflexible in the music / podcasts I'm able to listen to on it. I'll be recommending my friends to buy other devices

14 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +20
I've just spent an hour of my time trying to set up either itunes or Podcasts on my Sonos Speaker and am really struggling. I don't pay for Apple Music but have an itunes account - I don't seem to be able to set up itunes as a source on the Sonos which is frustrating. I want to listen to News Podcasts from MSNBC in particular - why is this so difficult? Any suggestions welcomed please.
You may want to take a look at Pocket Casts [1]. You can run the app on your iDevices, as well as add Pocket Casts as a native Sonos service. Podcast subscriptions, and the content you've listened to, are synchronised across the two. There is a one-off charge for app. I find it very good.

TBH I'm really regretting buying a Sonos, it has great sound but is very inflexible in the music / podcasts I'm able to listen to on it. I'll be recommending my friends to buy other devices

Sonos is unrivalled in the number of music (etc.) services that it integrates with, but it can appear a little awkward for folks who expect it to behave (e.g.) like a simple bluetooth device. Note that if you have one of the more recent speakers, you can use also use AirPlay to send any audio to Sonos from Apple devices.

[1] https://www.pocketcasts.com/
Thanks for that, I think its my only option.
I resent paying for a podcast service when I use perfectly good free ones on my phone. Same goes for Spotify and other services that require additional payments. Is Sonos taking additional payments from these services? When i paid for a speaker I didn't expect further payments in order to use it
I much prefer my Sony speaker, I will certainly not be purchasing any additional Sonos products or recommending them
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Thanks for that, I think its my only option.
It's not your only option, but it's probably the best.

I resent paying for a podcast service when I use perfectly good free ones on my phone.

Given it's a one-off fee of $4 for the iOS app, there's a limit to the amount of resentment I could muster.

Same goes for Spotify and other services that require additional payments. Is Sonos taking additional payments from these services?

Sonos receives no revenue of any kind from the music services it integrates with.

I much prefer my Sony speaker, I will certainly not be purchasing any additional Sonos products or recommending them

Perhaps sticking with something simpler would indeed be a better fit for you.

You don't mention what speaker(s) you have. I'd like to know if AirPlay is an option for you. Your profile indicates you have a PLAY:5. If this is the second generation model, you can just use AirPlay direct from your iOS devices.

Also, you can play downloaded Podcasts in the Apple podcast application, via the Sonos app on your iOS devices. However, there is currently a snag with this in specific circumstances due to a change in iOS behaviour, which is why I did not recommend it. Take a look at the last section in this support note: https://support.sonos.com/s/article/321.

I resent paying for a podcast service when I use perfectly good free ones on my phone.Given it's a one-off fee of $4 for the iOS app, there's a limit to the amount of resentment I could muster.

I don't disagree with you on the $4, I really don't care about the money. But with Sonos deprecating native podcast playback, it's just another hassle in my life I didn't have 24 hours ago. I've used Overcast in the past in my iOS devices, but never found it worth the effort vs the native podcasts app. So now I need to poke around and get an understanding of whether Stitcher or Pocketcasts or whatever other application supports all of the podcasts I want to listen to.

As I'm sure you can appreciate, often these services don't make it easy to figure out a full list of what you can do with them, until you've signed up for an account and downloaded the app and started using it. So you have to go in, download, install, configure, configure on your Sonos device, and try to think of the 20 or 30 podcasts you might want to listen to, make sure they're all supported.. and wash, rinse, repeat, if it turns out you chose the 'wrong' one.
I agree with the discontent, and this is just another example of why I’m planning to gradually move away from Sonos, which I’ve previously been a huge proponent of for years. It started when they disabled my CR100’s, which I have about 10 of, for no good reason (let’s not restart that debate, but I didn’t care about any new stuff...all I wanted was to continue to be able to turn the volume up and down, pause/unpause, and skip...and Sonos decided on my behalf to turn off that functionality that I had previously paid for, which is unacceptable to me). Now they are removing play from this phone, and not implementing Apple Play on most of my older Sonos devices as replacement functionality, making them less useful to me. Fine for them to do that, it’s a business decision they are free to make, but a bad one in my opinion, as they have lost a long-time customer and champion of their company...from now on, any time I have to replace one my Sonos devices or add a room, it will be with an product from a different company. At one time Sonos was clearly the best product out there, but now there are many fine options, and Sonos engineering is terribly run, imho, so adios.
Good luck to anyone looking for help with podcast issues.

I have experienced this exact frustrating, hair-pulling issue for years. After reading countless posts to solve the issue and submitting my own requests for much needed clarity and assistance, I have found the Sonos reps have never once sufficiently helped anyone with this matter. They will ask the same questions, request the same diagnostic report, and the results will still be the same -- no solution, only arrogant customer service.

No matter the iOS upgrade.
No matter the proximity to the router.
No matter interference or zero interference.
No matter the lock screen activated/disabled.
No matter the podcast downloaded/steaming.
No matter the diagnostics sent the reps again, and again, and ...

Go ahead and ask for assistance with your iOS podcast issue; the rep will run you through all of the above. It still won't help. Or, they will offer a link to a FAQ/troubleshooting page; there you will find additional, pointless information that will not be of any help, for it addresses Android, not iOS.

Once they've gone through the motions, the rep will give you a shoulder-shrug response, leaving you to blame without any further assistance. This is when we see reps speaking at customers -- rather than with customers -- with a prideful, condescending, passive-aggressive tone, implying that the customer is of lower intelligence, and the Sonos system the customer saved for and paid for is well beneath the customer's comprehension level. Which, in turn, only paints a picture of the Sonos reps as thiose junior high kids who can't solve a problem, become overwhelmed by ego, and resort to screaming, "Whatever! I know I'm right! My mom told me!" before stomping away in a huff.

They do not have a solution.
They do not seek out a solution.
There is no solution to this insufferable flaw.

With podcasts continuing to explode in popularity, Sonos only continues to fall further and further behind. Add to that the ill-equiped help from Sonos reps with their haughty tone, and it's clear to see why this company's reputation is plummeting.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
@beesneeze Hi, I replied to your other comment. You can see my response here.

There's no need to spam the community to get a response. In fact this goes against our guidelines. Please send me a direct message if you have any questions.
I am not looking for a response, Jeff S, so your other post is of no help to me. I have received too many responses over the years. You gave me the exact same feedback that countless reps have offered. Nothing works. I would think you, too, are exhausted from typing and producing the same broken record.

Since I'm not seeking a response, my posts must not be "spam." I also don't even know what that means, "to spam." I can tell you that I am confirming what many other unsatisfied customers are experiencing. After being told by too many reps that this is my fault, I am lacking brain power, I don't know how to configure my router, tp go download another app, just use a different device, etc., it has been more than helpful to read that others are experiencing the same thing, and I'm not losing my damn mind. In turn, I am sharing my experience on several posts, being well aware that those who are posting may not be thumbing through the many posts regarding podcasts. Spreading the word is better than having a valid, frustrating experience sit buried in a singular, older post.

Maybe if we all "spammed" more, Sonos would actually do something about this issue.
Posting the same message over and over in multiple threads is considered Spam.

And Sonos has done something. They eliminated the troublesome functionality in favor of ones that are more reliable.

And as I have worked with Sonos support personnel before and experienced them to be consummate professionals, I find your claim that they stated it is your fault, that you lack brainpower, or any other such rot to be utter horse s*&^.
Thank you for your feedback, jgatie. I invite you to search out responses from reps. I will help you. Try using these search terms: "maybe this system is too advanced for you" or try "a lower level system would better match your understanding of technology"

Within those posts you will also find the consumer waiting for a response and others asking if they received a response, for the rep has simply disappeared, never to return with further information.

Sonos has done nothing to fix this podcast issue.

Sonos has directed consumers to purchase apps, load other resources, or use a different device.

Moderator Note: This post has been edited to remove profanity.
Thank you for your feedback, jgatie. I invite you to search out responses from reps. I will help you. Try using these search terms: "maybe this system is too advanced for you" or try "a lower level system would better match your understanding of technology"

Within those posts you will also find the consumer waiting for a response and others asking if they received a response, for the rep has simply disappeared, never to return with further information.

Sonos has done nothing to fix this podcast issue.

Sonos has directed consumers to purchase apps, load other resources, or use a different device.

Moderator Note: This post has been edited to remove profanity.

I don't believe those posts any more than I believe you. Oldest trick in the book when one feels wronged is to feign being abused by support personnel. Sorry, not buying it.

Yet another case for #FireTheCustomer.
I too am very upset about Sonos planned inability to play podcasts. There seems to be no set date and yet yesterday it disappeared from the app and now I cannot play podcasts at all through Sonos speakers.
I’m trying to understand the reason for that downgrade of their service and haven’t found any answers in the community. I am happy with the sound of the Sonos but being forced to use the app is clumsy and meant to have the app downgraded further makes it even worse.
I too am very upset about Sonos planned inability to play podcasts. There seems to be no set date and yet yesterday it disappeared from the app and now I cannot play podcasts at all through Sonos speakers.
I’m trying to understand the reason for that downgrade of their service and haven’t found any answers in the community. I am happy with the sound of the Sonos but being forced to use the app is clumsy and meant to have the app downgraded further makes it even worse.

Yeah, this is garbage. How do we play our podcasts natively?
AirPlay 2? It's what I do, using OverCast on my iPhone.