Question

Podcast Playback Stops Every 5 Mins or So Since iOS 10.3 update

• 30 March 2017
  • 35 replies

Hello,

I updated my iPhone to iOS 10.3 yesterday afternoon, and ever since then I have an issue where podcasts (played from "On This iPhone") stop playing after about ten minutes. There's no error message or anything, and the play-time clock continues to run sometimes. So far, this doesn't seem to happen with music.

I ran the diagnostic tool and got receipt #7238412. I have a Play:5, two Play:3 units, and a Play:1, all grouped together when this issue occurs. I also have a Boost hooked up.

I don't know if correlation = causation here, but I did not have this issue prior to updating my iPhone OS. FWIW, I have not updated the iPad I sometimes use to control my system.

Please let me know what you think.

Thank you,

- AMH

35 replies

@Beessneeze

That was a very good description of my general experience. I agree totally.

However - I do not think this is Sonos directly thriving on customer heckling/bashing (but I agree to your ideas behind the people hired to help) - but I fear that this is the standard almost automated “out sourced service” you get - when you hire people to drown “a problem” in 3 standard polite questions, as I wrote before - to take the discussion of the forum by first “one on one” service and by pressing “solved” on the thread, second by blaming 4 different generations of WI-FI technology (which is just crazy talking) and then by going down the IOS screen lock - escape goat).

If you outsource “a problem”, which I think lies in the Sonos design, then you as a company do not solve a problem - you generate a business (at sub contractors) to keep this problem alive.

BUM.

....years after - problem is still not fixed...

i still like my Sonos very much - I think it’s a good technology, I think the sound quality is better than expected for that kind of money (excluding the Sub) and I think it’s a petty that Sonos feels like drowning a problem is better than solving it.

All my radio comes from Podcasts - I have to use a Bluetooth device - Danish Viking King - Harald Blåtand gave name to bluetooth, a thousand year old technology will never fail.....
Podcast chipping on Sonos

Solution:
I got this matchbox size Bluetooth kit for $48.
Link: https://hallaudio.com/produkt/forstaerker/hall-connector/
(www-hallaudio-com hall connector)

This is the fix.
Never skipped since.
Iphone /iPad to any Sonos device (with Bluetooth thingy) choose external device and play your podcasts on your apple podcast player - it stops the endless skipping.
It’s not your WI-FI!

I spend years on the advise for trying to rebuild my in-house WI-FI around sketchy software build on So-nos.

i think it’s not ok to keep telling people that they should take the discussion of line - hidden by personal support to your local WI-FI... bs - bad coding is my best guess...
easy solution - Bluetooth kit .

By the way, I love my Sonos - I Use it all over and where ever, this is why I share the right solution until they code the Sonos setup right...

Best Regards, Troels
I'm seeing the same problem with the Android App. On Samsung S7 Edge and Huawei P20 Pro. Very frustrating indeed.
I have the same issue. Created my own thread with a long explanation.
https://en.community.sonos.com/troubleshooting-228999/sound-played-through-on-this-iphone-skip-intermittently-6796255

Going to test this screen lock idea as I have tried everything else.
Hi,

It seems like I solved this problem regarding listening to Podcasts from the iPhone. I went to the iPhone screen-settings, and set the automatic lock to ´Never´

Now I can listen to the full podcast, without it stopping after 5 minutes.

It is not a perfect fix, but I hope the rest of you can find it useful.

Cheerio!
Hello,
I have exactly the same issue.
I thought that the problem was related with my wifi connection, for that reason I bought a new router (Linksys EA7500 Routeur Gigabit Wifi Max-Stream AC1900 MU-MIMO), however no improvements were noticed.
When I have the jack 3.5 pluged from Play 5 to my iphone, everything works perfectly.
Streaming from Spotify is also OK
Streaming from Tune IN is also OK
The only problem is when I stream the podcasts from my Iphone (IOS 11) to Sonos.
I live in a small flat, so my network is really simple, one router with TV, Apple TV and Computer directly pluged.

Change Lock Screen either to ON or OFF is not solving the issue.
Wifi assistant is OFF.

I sent two diagnosis, the 8053078 and 8053115.

I read somewhere that SONOS will support Airplay, this could be also a WA to solve the issue. Any schedule to deliver this feature?

Thanks
Userlevel 2
Badge +2
Example of error message

Userlevel 2
Badge +2
V similar here too. Also iPhone 6S. Always latest version of iOS. 1x playbar & 2x play 1s. WiFi assist off. I’m in a 1 bed flat so router range is not an issue! Tried various channels on the router. Tried hard cabling the router to one of the speakers (think that was ok but not a long term solution). Abandoned Apple Music (& went back to plain iTunes) in case that made a difference, it didn’t. Switched off & on every WiFi enabled device in my flat in various orders in order to reduce interference, no change. When the screen was live & not in standby I too would be more likely to experience a track skip. (This is why I wondered whether the lock screen controls might help).
If I was quick enough to spot it, when the track skipped I would see a message on the screen saying ‘Unable to play [track or podcast name] the connection to IPhone was lost’ I had to grab it really quick to see it.
This problem drove me NUTS for months. And yes, I was fairly disgruntled about shelling out for a system which was unlistenable. Various support people tried to help, I took a billion diagnostics, but unfortunately made no difference.
Changing the lock screen controls was a last ditch effort. I wasn’t expecting it to work but it definitely has for me. I’ve had a track/podcast skip only twice since I tried this a couple of months ago.
In the interest of getting this resolved, here is my experience,

I’m using an iPhone 6 with iOS 11.0.3

WiFi assist is off.

Lock screen controls for the Sonos app have been tried both on & off.

Handheld, keeping the iPhone “awake” there is no drop of podcast: on a c.20min test.

Unplugged, screen locked the podcast stops with played position not saved after 2-5mins.

Plugged in the time to podcast stop seems to increase, but i’ve not done many repeats of this.

It appears to me to be a problem of fike accessibility or wifi connection with the iPhone locked.

What disappoints me about this issue and the others I have experienced is mainly the poor support. I’m also out £ks for a multi-room system that isn’t robust, has a poor UI and appears to be getting worse with each software upgrade. I would not buy again and seriously consider offloading the whole lot on eBay....
I have finally managed to resolve my problem with skipping or part-playing tracks/podcast ‘on this device’.
Having logged calls & spent hours on the phone to support, submitted numerous diagnostics etc nothing had worked. This all started around new year 2017.
A month ago I was about to buy a new router in the hope that this would stop this issue. It appeared to be a connection dropping issue between my iPhone & my router (& therefore sonos) even though it did not manifest itself in any other way other than this track skipping issue with sonos.
Anyway the guy in maplin’s told me that there was a known issue with iPhones dropping WiFi connections & that buying a new router wouldn’t help (which i thought was good customer service being that he talked me out of spending money in his shop). At that point I was thinking I’d have to either upgrade to iPhone 8 (financially prohibitive) or switch to Android (sigh).
Anyway, the upshot is that I went back home that day & looked at my sonos app settings for about the billionth time since this all began & on a whim flicked the switch to use LOCK SCREEN CONTROLS. I’d switched this off months earlier due to it draining my battery.
On switching this back on, not only did it not drain my battery (I guess sonos fixed that in the meantime). but it has fixed my track skipping problem. That was a month ago & throughout a month’s listening the issue has occurred only once, which I can cope with.
I couldn’t tell you why this fixed my problem & perhaps other people’s issues are caused by something else, but if you want to try the same thing, maybe it’ll work.

I have actually just been told the exact opposite by Sonos support. They have instructed me to turn lock screen controls OFF to prevent this problem. Not sure whether it has made any difference yet, still listening...

I’m not sure that the root cause(s) of this issue is understood by Sonos support.
Userlevel 2
Badge +2
I have finally managed to resolve my problem with skipping or part-playing tracks/podcast ‘on this device’.
Having logged calls & spent hours on the phone to support, submitted numerous diagnostics etc nothing had worked. This all started around new year 2017.
A month ago I was about to buy a new router in the hope that this would stop this issue. It appeared to be a connection dropping issue between my iPhone & my router (& therefore sonos) even though it did not manifest itself in any other way other than this track skipping issue with sonos.
Anyway the guy in maplin’s told me that there was a known issue with iPhones dropping WiFi connections & that buying a new router wouldn’t help (which i thought was good customer service being that he talked me out of spending money in his shop). At that point I was thinking I’d have to either upgrade to iPhone 8 (financially prohibitive) or switch to Android (sigh).
Anyway, the upshot is that I went back home that day & looked at my sonos app settings for about the billionth time since this all began & on a whim flicked the switch to use LOCK SCREEN CONTROLS. I’d switched this off months earlier due to it draining my battery.
On switching this back on, not only did it not drain my battery (I guess sonos fixed that in the meantime). but it has fixed my track skipping problem. That was a month ago & throughout a month’s listening the issue has occurred only once, which I can cope with.
I couldn’t tell you why this fixed my problem & perhaps other people’s issues are caused by something else, but if you want to try the same thing, maybe it’ll work.
Have submitted diagnostics 7902294
Userlevel 1
Badge +1
Hi there,
I have a similar problem. An episode is almost half way through and then it plays next one. A code is 7751796.

Hello, MTruba14, thanks for sending us a diagnostic. After checking it looks like Sonos is communicating with the network really well. We're seeing error messages that indicate the phone is losing connection to Sonos or the network during playback causing this issue. There are a couple of things you can do as tests to help confirm this issue. First, you'll want to play a streaming audio source like Spotify, SoundCloud, Radio by TuneIn to see if this issue occurs. If not, we'll know it's something to do with the phone's connection to the network or the Podcast file, the next test you'll want to do in this scenario is play music stored on your phone to Sonos and let us know if the issue persists.

I have had the same issue for months now my Podcasts just dies 5 min into it then move to the next Podcast in sequence I have attempted every fix on this thread and none have worked.

Hi, tbarychewsky, thanks for reaching out. We'd be happy to take a closer look at your system. Please send a diagnostic our way and let us know the confirmation number.
Userlevel 1
I have had the same issue for months now my Podcasts just dies 5 min into it then move to the next Podcast in sequence I have attempted every fix on this thread and none have worked.
Hi there,
I have a similar problem. An episode is almost half way through and then it plays next one. A code is 7751796.
Userlevel 1
Badge +1
I having been experiencing this problem with both podcasts and listening to music stored on my iPhone (iOS 10.3.2) for several weeks. Throughout my large apartment I have a Sonos setup with nine devices (including a six Play-1s, a Playbase, a Boost, and a Connect). When the setup works it's fantastic, but these dropouts seem to be occurring more and more frequently. I followed the instructions above and in another thread (resetting devices, changing channels), to no avail. I submitted a diagnostic report 7661069 after it stopped three times within 15 minutes when playing a single podcast. (It wouldn't be so bad if Sonos dropped a time marker so I wouldn't have to manually figure out where I left off.) Setting up on a SAN or other storage devices with a wired connection is a possibility, but in the past when I've tried this I've had many problems with timeouts. I really don't want to introduce that additional unreliable variable.

Thanks for passing along the diagnostic and explaining what troubleshooting steps you've already taken. The diagnostic data shows some significant lengths of time where the network traffic moved quite slowly, and that there's some spots of wireless interference around the system as well. It also appears that your network may feature a separate WiFi access point. What is the make and model of your WiFi router? Is your Sonos BOOST wired directly into the router? What else is wired into the router with Ethernet? Do you use any WiFi boosters, extenders, or access points in your network?

The suggestion is that's it's a problem with the communication between my iPhone & router. But the wifi connection on my iPhone looks solid enough & I don't seem to experience problems with anything else.
YES -agree re the annoyance of having to find your place in a podcast again.
Beginning to despair of this issue ever being fixed.

They way audio gets processed from the "On This iPhone" source to the Sonos system involves more "moving pieces" compared to, say, watching a YouTube video. Have you run any ping tests between your iPhone and your WiFi network yet?
Userlevel 2
Badge +2
The suggestion is that's it's a problem with the communication between my iPhone & router. But the wifi connection on my iPhone looks solid enough & I don't seem to experience problems with anything else.
YES -agree re the annoyance of having to find your place in a podcast again.
Beginning to despair of this issue ever being fixed.
I having been experiencing this problem with both podcasts and listening to music stored on my iPhone (iOS 10.3.2) for several weeks. Throughout my large apartment I have a Sonos setup with nine devices (including a six Play-1s, a Playbase, a Boost, and a Connect). When the setup works it's fantastic, but these dropouts seem to be occurring more and more frequently. I followed the instructions above and in another thread (resetting devices, changing channels), to no avail. I submitted a diagnostic report 7661069 after it stopped three times within 15 minutes when playing a single podcast. (It wouldn't be so bad if Sonos dropped a time marker so I wouldn't have to manually figure out where I left off.) Setting up on a SAN or other storage devices with a wired connection is a possibility, but in the past when I've tried this I've had many problems with timeouts. I really don't want to introduce that additional unreliable variable.
Userlevel 2
Badge +2
I have engaged with sonos support and have called them twice in the last week which has meant spending an hour & a half on hold to get through. I have provided around a dozen diagnostic references. My problem of skipping tracks & podcasts played from my device remains unresolved. At least I'm in the system now if nothing else.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
I too have exactly the same issue. Any podcast that I play via an ipad or iphone (both running iOS 10.3.3) stops after about 5 minutes. I've tried all the suggests in this thread, but nothing works. Is there a fix in the mix for this? It is a HUGE problem as it effectively prevents me from listening to podcasts on my Sonos (unless I go through the massive manual effort of downloading it using a computer, saving it to my NAS, then re-indexing the library every time on Sonos!).

If you have followed all the suggestions then I suggest your best bet would be to submit a diagnostic after a podcast stops. Then either post the number here or call Sonos to discuss.

Clearly this problem is pervasive and many people are experiencing it. I really don't want to spend the time on behalf of sonos helping them fix it. I've got enough on and don't have the time. They should have their own testing in place. I know of a number of other friends with exactly the same problem.

My question is to Sonos - what are you doing about it? It's clear its a common problem, and came about since 10.3. I didn't previously have the problem until then. It is now pretty much impossible to play podcasts that stream via the iphone or ipad.

Sonos have provided diagnostic tools to help them achieve them what you want and unless you expect Sonos to "spy" on your system then the BEST way for Sonos to get the data they need to help you and others is to submit a diagnostic. It takes about 20 seconds.

You're entitled to your opinion that this is some kind of widespread problem that Sonos must fix but I humbly suggest that you are more likely to get a resolution if you engage with Sonos support. Either way it is up to you and no skin off my nose!!
I too have exactly the same issue. Any podcast that I play via an ipad or iphone (both running iOS 10.3.3) stops after about 5 minutes. I've tried all the suggests in this thread, but nothing works. Is there a fix in the mix for this? It is a HUGE problem as it effectively prevents me from listening to podcasts on my Sonos (unless I go through the massive manual effort of downloading it using a computer, saving it to my NAS, then re-indexing the library every time on Sonos!).

If you have followed all the suggestions then I suggest your best bet would be to submit a diagnostic after a podcast stops. Then either post the number here or call Sonos to discuss.

Clearly this problem is pervasive and many people are experiencing it. I really don't want to spend the time on behalf of sonos helping them fix it. I've got enough on and don't have the time. They should have their own testing in place. I know of a number of other friends with exactly the same problem.

My question is to Sonos - what are you doing about it? It's clear its a common problem, and came about since 10.3. I didn't previously have the problem until then. It is now pretty much impossible to play podcasts that stream via the iphone or ipad.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21

Hi AMH19

Welcome to the Community!

Whilst you can see all the Players in your system, could you go to "settings" within the Sonos application and then go to advanced settings and select "wireless setup" select next and then then on the next page, don't put in any wireless password, but you should see a "reset" button, could you then press this. This will remove the Wifi credentials from your players ( as they don't need them because you have the Boost wired to your network).

Having these wifi credentials in the players can cause problems.

Then on all the iphone's make sure wifi assist is turned off. If you go to the phone's settings and the go to "mobile data" you should see the option for Wifi Assist at the bottom, make sure this is turned off.

For more information on Wifi assist see here :

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT205296

When you are streaming from "on this phone" the audio data is being streamed from the phone to your router and then passed over the network to Sonos, in your specific scenario you have multiple Ubquity access points broadcasting the same network name and assuming the passwords are the same for the different wireless access points, there is no way to stop your device from switching between these three WAPs, every time this happens it would cause the audio stream between the phone and the network to stop/break.

I can see in the log from the phone that it is regularly changing between these access points

To get reliable playback in this network environment it would be better to store the music/audio/podcasts on a device that isn't wireless connected to the network, such as a computer or NAS drive.

Then you can use the "Music Library" functionality.

The other option would be to rename the access points with different names, then you'll be able to control which one you are connected to on your mobile device, by forgetting two of them so the mobile device can only stay connected to one access point.

I hope this makes sense, do let us know how you get on.

AM_A, Jas_4, michelenascondino -> If you guys could submit Diagnostic's shortly after you get the drop, we can have a look and see what is happening.

Many thanks

HI Matt R - many thanks for the detailed feedback above. I have tried removing the wireless password and made sure that wifi assist is off. Unfortunately, I am still having the same issues.

I understand your guidance re: the wireless access points. However, I don't have any devices (computer or NAS drives) that are connected to my network via wires, and it's not really an option given my setup. Even if it were, having to use a wired device would greatly diminish the convenience factor of my system (controlling and playing things from my phone was a big part of Sonos' appeal). Further, I can't forget the range extenders on my mobile, because then I would just be out of range of my WiFi signal entirely when I'm out of WiFi range of the remembered device, which doesn't solve the problem.

It's a bit frustrating to have spent money on a wireless speaker system only to be told that certain aspects of it will work better when devices are connected to wires, especially given that I thought I had solved this problem by buying the Boost and connecting it to my router with a cable. I don't know that I would have invested so heavily in Sonos if I had known of potential incompatibilities with my wireless setup. Furthermore, I don't think this is an issue that is strictly on my end, given that I didn't have this issue for months prior to upgrading my mobile device to iOS 10.3.

Any additional solutions (that don't involve reconfiguring my setup to wire a computer to it) you might be able to offer would be greatly appreciated. I have also tried using the line in function on my Play:5, which would be an easier (though still inconvenient) workaround. But, the audio skips when listening on speakers other than the Play:5 itself, which is very annoying - off to try to find another thread to try to fix that problem.

Ultimately, I hope you all can address this via an update to the Sonos app or the speaker firmware - again, this was not an issue prior to iOS 10.3, so I'm optimistic that the issue can be addressed.

Thanks again,

AMH
Userlevel 2
Badge +2
Hi, thanks. I'd be a bit surprised if wifi assist was the cause but I've turned it off to see if it makes any difference. I'm in a one bedroom flat and the router is no more than 12 ft from any of the 3 speakers. No wifi extenders in use. I never experienced this problem when I just had the playbar. It only started once I added my two play1's a few months ago.