PocketCasts on Sonos - podcasts dissapearing

Userlevel 1
We added pocketcasts and added a podcast to pocketcast so it can be seen in Sonos (Story Spectacular for the kids). All well for a while, we could see all of them (100+) in the sonos app. But lately they are disappearing from sonos - we used to see all 100+ but now only see about 10. Appears random, some older ones there some newer ones. Logging into pocketcast I see all of them. I've tried to reauthorize, no change, even tried to remove pocketcasts from sonos and reinstall, no change. Any suggestions? My

10 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +18
Are the missing episodes marked as ‘Archived’ in Pocket Casts? If so, ‘unarchive’ them.
Userlevel 1
So I found out what the problem is but it seems like a bad design. After you listen to a specific podcast in Sonos (through pocketcast integration with sonos) it is marked as "read" in pocketcasts and then disappears from sonos unless you go back to pocketcast and mark it as unread. These are not 'archived' just listened-to. Again, after you listen to it in Sonos it's marked as 'read' if you view it through the pocketcast web app. Going to pocketcast web app and marking the item 'unread' causes it to be visible in sonos again, but if you listen to it a second time it disappears again.

Seems like a bug or bad design.
Suggest you discuss it with the folks at Pocketcasts. Sonos just wrote the API for third parties to implement, they don't choose how the third party deals with it.

And yes, I agree with you, in some respects. Although it's not an issue I've run into myself, due to the fact that I'm a single person household, and don't share my account with others. Not something you have the option of, however.
Userlevel 6
Badge +18
mscoyle wrote:

So I found out what the problem is but it seems like a bad design. After you listen to a specific podcast in Sonos (through pocketcast integration with sonos) it is marked as "read" in pocketcasts and then disappears from sonos unless you go back to pocketcast and mark it as unread. These are not 'archived' just listened-to. Again, after you listen to it in Sonos it's marked as 'read' if you view it through the pocketcast web app. Going to pocketcast web app and marking the item 'unread' causes it to be visible in sonos again, but if you listen to it a second time it disappears again.
Seems like a bug or bad design.

You're correct: once you play a podcast through Pocket Casts on Sonos, it's marked as 'Played' in your Pocket Casts account, and removed from the Sonos views. I'd argue that this is normal behaviour for podcasts: generally once one has played a podcast, one doesn't do so again.

As Bruce notes, it's up to the Pocket Casts service what episodes are returned in the Sonos views; Sonos just calls the API that Pocket Casts provides to Sonos, and displays what's returned. So, if you're seeking a change in this behaviour, it's Pocket Casts who'd have to make this change.

However, for podcasts one wants to listen to repeatedly, they can be starred in the Pocket Casts app, and then they'll appear in the 'Starred' Pocket Casts view in Sonos regardless of whether they're marked as 'Played'. This might satisfy your use case.
Userlevel 1
Thanks, I'll try their support. This isn't a matter of 'sharing accounts', to be accurate. My kid just wants to listen to stories on 'story spectacular' over and over again and I don't want to have to mark as read 100 podcasts all the time - she loves them and I'll support her listening to stories on the 'radio' over watching tv any day. Thanks for the 'starred' workaround, that may do the trick.
Userlevel 6
Badge +18
Don’t forget that you can also add podcast episodes to the Sonos playlist of your choice. Again, these will appear in the playlist whether or not the episodes are marked as Played and/or Archived in Pocket Casts.
Userlevel 1
FYI I tried the suggestion to mark episodes as "starred" in pocketcast and then view the 'starred' ones in sonos - unfortunately that doesn't work. After starring a few episodes in in pocketcast web app and trying to view them in sonos app I get "Unable to browse music" when going to the "starred" sonos/pocketcast category.
Userlevel 1
FYI I tried the suggestion to mark episodes as "starred" in pocketcast and then view the 'starred' ones in sonos - unfortunately that doesn't work. After starring a few episodes in in pocketcast web app and trying to view them in sonos app I get "Unable to browse music" when going to the "starred" sonos/pocketcast category.
Userlevel 6
Badge +18
mscoyle wrote:

This method does work for me; perhaps you encountered a transient error of some kind. If not, it’s a defect and should be reported to Pocket Casts. Did you try the alternative method of using a Sonos playlist?
Userlevel 1
Thanks will try pocketcast. This is the first problem I've had with sonos since I moved to them as my music system in 2003 so not a bad run.

Cookie policy

We use cookies to enhance and personalize your experience. If you accept you agree to our full cookie policy. Learn more about our cookies.

Accept cookies Cookie settings