Plus Size Sonos Systems

• 5 November 2021
  • 6 replies

HELP

We are a small theater company that switched to using Sonos when the Bose BuiltInviable system went obsolete. We love the Sonos system because it works and sets up so easily, until it doesn't. Frustration sets in upon installing larger systems. 

SONOS says 32 devices is their recommended limit. We are experiencing multiple issues with our 33 device installation. 

• *Rooms falling off the system
  • Music just stops
  • Just trying to get the devices on the system seams like a real struggle

Its hard to believe that just one extra device is causing all this. 

Here is how we have set the system up. The entire system is hardwired except 1 or 2 subs and a Beam or two. The devices that are hardwired are connected to a mannaged switch with spanningtree enabled (sonos recommended). The system has one SONOS Boost attached. (I understand the boost acts as a traffic monitor and is supposed to help with the communication between devices. We didnt add the boost until latter in the setup and Im wondering if this matters. It seams there is an order that devices like to be connected. 

Is there anyone else out there that has maybe had similar problems and may have a solution. Im nearly ready to give up and start over and would if I thought It would help.

Sonos has recommended that I split the system into two systems to lower the number of devices. Ugh,, this is not how we sold the system to our very picky client.   Hmmm,,,,,,,

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

Badge +17

Hi @Tech01,

Let me clarify, 32 devices isn’t a recommended limit, it’s a hard limit due to limitations imposed by UPnP. Adding more than 32 devices (that includes Boosts) will cause rooms to become disconnected, sometimes seemingly at random.

The only way I could see around this would be to split the system into two groups as you mentioned in your post.

The system is never going to be reliable with 33 devices (and the Boost counts as an additional device in case you were not aware).  32 is a hard limit, more than 32 will just cause problems. 

If all devices are wired, the BOOST serves no purpose. It should be removed. 

Your ultimate issue, however, is “SONOS says 32 devices is their recommended limit. We are experiencing multiple issues with our 33 device installation.”

To my knowledge, Sonos doesn’t use the term ‘recommended’ when talking about the limit. It’s not a suggestion. 

Edit: I see several other responses occurred while I was typing ;)

Hi. If most devices are wired then the Boost is almost certainly completely pointless so I would get rid of that

I would also remove the Ethernet connections from all Subs and surround speakers, if any.

What sort of router do you have? Any extenders or access points?

In About My Sonos is everything showing as WM:0 or are there any WM:1s?

Have you reserved IP addresses in your router for each Sonos device?  If not, you should.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

No need for the Boosts as these are only for wi-fi connected systems, not ethernet cabled.  The 32 device limit is not a recommendation, it is a limit!

1/  How many devices do you have, excluding the Boosts?

2/  Is the requirement for all 33 devices to be sync’d together? 

3/ Have you checked for duplicate IP addresses: Tips & Tricks - Resolving random issues impacting Sonos devices.. | Sonos Community

4/ Could you replace some of the devices with a Amp and passive speakers?

Edit: I type too slowly!  But at least we all agree! :)

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

All else aside, the only way I got my Sonos to remain in a usable state after updates or power failures was by setting the reserved IP addresses. Quick and easy to do on most routers from their DHCP page.