Plex local network access on Sonos app

• 19 January 2019
  • 2 replies

From what I've read in the Plex documentation for Sonos, you need to allow remote access on your Plex media server for Sonos to see your music, even on the same network. With NAT loopback configured on your router, the request won't go out to the internet. But it still is really disappointing that Sonos can't see the Plex media server on the local network without exposing the server to remote access. I have Plex apps on other devices (such as TCL Roku TV) that work just fine on the local network with remote access disabled.

Has anyone successfully connected Sonos to their Plex server without enabling remote access? Seems like it should be achievable, and would be nice to access media on your local network without having to expose anything to the internet.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +19
Hi, Paul. Welcome to the community. Plex are ultimately responsible for how their service works, this goes for how their service works on our own product as well. If there is a workaround available, it's more likely to be a configuration change required on Plex's end. I have heard that their community is very good for workarounds where limitations are concerned. Have you raised this on there at all? Many thanks.
Userlevel 4
Badge +11
I have noticed that within the Plex app there is now a Plex for Sonos option. I have no idea how this works as I haven't played with it - just mentioning in case you hadn't seen it.