Answered

Please HELP this is Bizarre!!! Sonos plays randomly often at full volume - Please help otherwise we will go mad!!!!!!!!!

Userlevel 2
Badge +1
Hi, I have a Sonos system comprising of 9 components being a mix of Sonos One, PLAY:1 x 2, PLAY:5, PLAYBAR, SUB, CONNECT:AMP, CONNECT ZP100, and a ZP80 which has grown over the years and recently started playing music, often at full volume sometimes on one component and sometimes grouping altogether, very randomly. It is happening so frequently now that sadly after many years of being a Sonos customer it may all be launched out of the various windows as its all become far too stressful. The music often says it is coming from Spotify (we set up an account with them a few months ago) but also sometimes says Soundcloud of which one of my kids has an account. I have disconnected the services and it still keeps doing it. We also have an Alexa dot but have pulled the power on that too! We have occasionally seen a guest Spotify account and stopped it and then its ok for a few hours then starts again but not as a guest this time. We are in a rural location so don't have any immediate neighbours which could be interfering. Sometimes the only way we can stop it is to shut the main power switch to the house!!! I have a case to call Sonos on Monday but we have to get through the rest of the weekend as this is destroying us so if anyone can help, please let me know in the meantime. Hopefully, we will make it to the end of the weekend without going nuts!!!!!!!!!!!!!
icon

Best answer by h1lt0n 13 March 2018, 17:01

Change your WIFI password again and don’t give it to anyone for a couple days. Not even members of your household. Someone is messing with you. And no... music services have to be added manually through a device. Trace back the IP addresses Ryan posted above on everyone’s mobile devices.

Agreed. Someone has access to your network or devices on it and is messing with you. Additionally, based on where you say you live it's probably remote access.

How are they doing this? It could be a compromised cellphone or a compromised computer but more likely(considering how poor most router firmware is and that 50% of people use the default admin and password) its via your router.

Its probably some kid hopping on your network for kicks but it could be something a little nastier.

So I would suggest getting up early in the morning. Factory resetting your router. Installing the latest router firmware, disabling remote administration access of any kind to that router then changing the admin ID and password to something non-standard. Additionally, as stated by the poster above change the WiFi password AND make it different to the admin.

In the meantime as a precaution tell everyone in your household to run antivirus scans on laptops and change the passwords to their email/social media. Make sure everyone does this together in one sitting.

If this fails and these people really are out to 'mess up your Christmas' spend 200 bucks buy a 'Ubiquiti USG firewall' and stick it in front of your router. Then follow the Crosstalk tutorial on YouTube on how to set it up with basic firewall rules. It's gui driven and a doddle to set up. A decent firewall will keep most script kiddies out.
View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

24 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +21
Next time it starts playing submit a diagnostic report. Add the number to this topic and have it handy if you call in for help.
Userlevel 2
Badge +1
Many thanks Stanley_4, we do have a case number 180309-002509 after submitting diagnostics via Facebook so will call support on Monday. For now we have disconnected all units except the playbar, sub and play 1's so we can watch the tv which has been ok so far (fingers crossed). All a bit strange this as trying to find a pattern for it.
Userlevel 2
Badge +1
The unit in the kitchen was switched back on earlier and just started playing music from Spotify but its not on any of our playlists. Diagnostic 1797856464 submitted.
Have you had a visitor recently, who you've allowed to play to your Sonos system directly from their native Spotify app?
Userlevel 2
Badge +1
No visitors recently. Yesterday evening, I removed all music services and music libraries and it started playing via Tunein radio. I thought it was Spotify related but based on the above it seems Sonos is looking for music to play wherever it can.
Sonos players have to be told what the play. Someone may have access to your network somehow. Change your WiFi password.

Have you enabled Alexa voice control at all? That can be used to command a system from a different network.
Userlevel 2
Badge +1
Hi again Ratty, thanks for your help. When I logged out of all devices from my Spotify web login I thought this may do it but then Sonos seemed to hunt for music via Tunein Radio, then a playlist on my laptop. Ive since called Sonos and they basically confirmed the same in that it seems a rogue controller somewhere but cannot identify which one. Another diagnostic 591109601 sent to Sonos while on the phone following a 'tweak' to remove the wireless setup from the system. It hasnt done it again today so far and if it does this evening (which is when it is at its worst) I will change the wifi password. Alexa voice control was enabled but didnt seem to work too well so I unplugged that a few weeks back.
Userlevel 2
Badge +1
Ok, we made it to 8.15pm and it all kicked off again as Sonos is now finding music from our iphones, mine first (so I shut it off) then it found music from my sons phone a few mins later. Diagnostic sent in the middle of playback number 480536289. It is very freaky when this happens as it seems Sonos has gone ROGUE. Time to change the wifi password then.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Hi Surco, on that first diagnostic, a device that had connected to your system over wireless via the Spotify app turned up the volume and set some tracks to play to the kitchen. To prevent that from happening, if you just play anything to that room using a different source of music, like TuneIn, the wireless device will lose access when not on the network.

If they're on the network, that's a different story, and as suggested, changing the wireless network would help.

The diagnostic 480536289 shows that a device simply called "iPhone" at the IP 192.168.1.76 sent some play commands to your Annex and Garage. I believe that it's an iPhone 8 or X. Also, the Lounge was turned on about one minute before the diagnostic by another device of the same name, this time with the IP of 192.168.1.153.

I'm not sure if that helps, but those devices are on your network still, issuing commands at the time of the diagnostic.
Userlevel 2
Badge +1
Changed the wifi password and this has made no difference in that it still plays music off various iphones...we continue to despair....
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
That's an odd one. The players themselves can't randomly start playing, something has to tell them to do so. This could be a line-in connection on one of them that's turning on when it sees the audio signal, like when your PLAYBAR sees the audio on the TV input, or a CONNECT:AMP or PLAY:5 using Autoplay from the line in.

Otherwise, it has to be a mobile device on the network, or in rare cases, off it but with permission, telling those rooms to play. Feel free to send in diagnostics and let us know when and which rooms to check, we can at least help you pin down which devices are sending the commands.

Odds are, someone is having a laugh at your despair.
Userlevel 2
Badge +1
Hi Ryan S, thanks for this. Even after changing the wifi password leaving just me with access via my iphone 7 it has this morning and as I write just started playing randomly again 8.25am. I cannot see it being someone doing this on purpose but could be wrong. As you suggest it seems to be the iphone(s) that are playing music. I am going to shutdown the Master Bedroom as it at risk of blowing the speakers in there. The Playbar in the lounge has also been playing. Interestingly while the music was playing I could not gain access to Sonos. Then after a few minutes the app said I had access and I have been unable to stop the music. So at one point, we had music blasting and no app access (only manual control). Its just a crazy crazy situation.
Userlevel 2
Badge +1
Just submitted another diagnostic 1300987558. Any clues there?
Userlevel 2
Badge +1
Sonos seems to now be getting the music from Soundcloud. I keep removing it from the music library but it keeps adding it in there.
Userlevel 2
Badge +1
Its not meant to be able to add a service automatically like that is it?
Userlevel 7
Badge +19
Have you checked that all Controllers that have access to you System are on the same application version number. This has caused volume issues in the past.
Change your WIFI password again and don’t give it to anyone for a couple days. Not even members of your household. Someone is messing with you. And no... music services have to be added manually through a device. Trace back the IP addresses Ryan posted above on everyone’s mobile devices.
Userlevel 2
Badge +1
Thanks all. Spoke with Sonos earlier and they recommened restricting the app access but this didnt make any difference so we have removed the app from both the suspect iphones and so far so good. Will look to re-install the app to them once our hearing and stress levels have recovered.....
Userlevel 1
Badge +3

Agreed. Someone has access to your network or devices on it and is messing with you. Additionally, based on where you say you live it's probably remote access.

How are they doing this? It could be a compromised cellphone or a compromised computer but more likely(considering how poor most router firmware is and that 50% of people use the default admin and password) its via your router.

Its probably some kid hopping on your network for kicks but it could be something a little nastier.

So I would suggest getting up early in the morning. Factory resetting your router. Installing the latest router firmware, disabling remote administration access of any kind to that router then changing the admin ID and password to something non-standard. Additionally, as stated by the poster above change the WiFi password AND make it different to the admin.

In the meantime as a precaution tell everyone in your household to run antivirus scans on laptops and change the passwords to their email/social media. Make sure everyone does this together in one sitting.

If this fails and these people really are out to 'mess up your Christmas' spend 200 bucks buy a 'Ubiquiti USG firewall' and stick it in front of your router. Then follow the Crosstalk tutorial on YouTube on how to set it up with basic firewall rules. It's gui driven and a doddle to set up. A decent firewall will keep most script kiddies out.
Userlevel 1
Badge +3

If this fails and these douche bags really are out to 'mess up your Christmas' spend 200 bucks buy a 'Ubiquiti USG firewall' and stick it in front of your router. Then follow the Crosstalk tutorial on YouTube on how to set it up with basic firewall rules. It's gui driven and a doddle to set up. A decent firewall will keep most script kiddies out.

As discussed this looks like your issue bro.

https://www.wired.com/story/hackers-can-rickroll-sonos-bose-speakers-over-internet/

Watch the trend micro video in the article.
Userlevel 2
Badge +1
Thanks h1lt0n and everyone for your input but I am pleased to report I am confident it was some kind of conflict between my iphone and that of my sons iphone, as since de-installing the app on both phones all has been well. Ryan S identified these via the diagnostics. The big clue was when my son returned from college yesterday afternoon and the Sonos started playing up again within minutes of his arrival. I have since reinstalled the app on just my phone this morning so am monitoring but all good so far. Also confident we have not been hacked as we never use the standard router settings and have a hardware support contract (as I work a lot from home) who have been monitoring the router traffic. Thank you again everyone, I think we may just have sussed it but it is early days.
Userlevel 2
Badge +1
Update: Sadly after months on and off with Sonos I have had this problem continually repeat itself (even with Sonos support logged in and on the phone so they experienced it first hand and left baffled) and so have had to resort to unplugging all of our units. We have changed routers twice and WIFI password umpteen times. It is all too stressful to risk leaving the units on as we came back recently to the dogs cowering in the corner of a room that doesn't have Sonos as the rest of the place was playing Spotify at full volume. We now have speakers blown and shredded nerves....What an absolute nightmare!!! I know of others with the same problem and suggested that Sonos have a form of control over what plays to it. They have hinted they may do this. CMon Sonos you need to take action to build something like this in.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
They have added a maximum volume level setting, won't fix your issue but it may be easier on the dogs if the volume is lowered from blasting to only way-too-loud.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Hi Surco, just a thought here, but does this playback coincide with the phone connecting to a Bluetooth connection, like when connecting with the Bluetooth in your car?

I've seen it happen that the phone automatically "presses play" when it connects to Bluetooth, which starts up whatever media app it was last using. Which in some cases, will be Sonos and start your system if you haven't disconnected with your system before connecting with the Bluetooth. Also, if the last app was Spotify, which was controlling Sonos using the Spotify app's native direct control of Sonos, this could trigger the playback to start as well.

On that note, if you're using the direct control from Spotify and you leave the house, the Spotify app can still start playing music on your Sonos, assuming you haven't told your players to play anything else since the Spotify connection was started.