Answered

Plays only one speaker

Userlevel 1
Badge
Hello.
I am having trouble with my current setup.
I am using a technics sl-3210 record player, a sony str-d265 amp/reciever and a sonos connect and two sonos 1’s. When i play my record player only 1 speaker plays the music. But when i use a streaming service both players play in a group. Does anybody had the same issue? Or know how to fix this?

helmer
icon

Best answer by Keith N 12 March 2018, 18:49

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

33 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Sounds like a bandwidth issue through the router not keeping up with the streaming from the record player.

First - with the record player playing and trying to group in second speaker. Go to setting...advanced....submit diagnostic. Post the diagnostic number here for sonos to inspect your network.

Second. Now try pluggin gone fo your Sonos Ones into your router via Ethernet cable. Now try the same process again and submit a diagnostic again and post that number as well.

Does the record player play to both speakers with one connected to router?
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
This means your having trouble with your wifi network. When plugged in the speakers are communicating with Sonosnet, which is working.

Can you describe your wifi network a bit. You have router and then the just the 2 sonos speakers is that correct. How far do you have the speakers from the router (when your not using Sonosnet).

I guess the first thing I would try would be changing the channel of your wifi router. Only use channels 1, 6, or 11.

You have Sonos plugged in now and using one of those 3 channels. See what channel Sonos is using as it seems to be working. Go to sonos settings, advanced. It will show the channel sonos is on now (note that). Now change Sonos to an alternate channel. Now go into your home router and set it to the channel Sonos was using that we feel may be a good channel. Now in Sonos settings...advanced....re-run wifi setup and then unplug that speaker from router. Go back to way you had and see if the new channel is making difference.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
The actual answer appears you are getting some wifi interference on your network that is causing it to slow down and lose packets so high bandwidth music isn't working. Using Sonosnet dedicated wifi does work. We just need to see if changing channel on your router helps with the wifi only method. As you can see if you leave speaker hooked to router and use Sonosnet it work (you could replace having speaker hooked to router with using a boost/bridge instead). But if only 2 speakers you should be able to make your wifi only work.
Userlevel 1
Badge
I have set the channel on my router to the same channel as sonos uses but all three times no luck still does not work trough wifi. And i tried placing the (non working) speaker next to the router so that it would pick up the wifi signal first but still no sucses. I have connected the speaker via cable with the connect and it works as well.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
you do the wireless setup when you have the Play:1 wired to the router. Once the wireless setup is complete you can then unplug again.
Userlevel 1
Badge
Yes i tried with the wired setup but still the same error. Oh sorry then i misunderstood i thought it should be the same channel and tried it with a different channel and again no succes.
Thanks for the help by the way, i really appreciate it
Userlevel 1
Badge
This is my setup right now in order to get the both players working

Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Ok WM:0 means they are all sonosnet as they should be. What is the error when go to settings...advanced...wifi setup.
Userlevel 1
Badge
This is the error

Userlevel 1
Badge
Oops sorry forgot to tell haha
R is router
1 is play 1
V is record player(vinyl)
A is amplifier
C is connect
The two vertocal lines are rca cable
The single lines is ethernet cable
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
That is very strange. What router model do you have. Have you tried rebooting the router. Does your router have wireless G (its not just outputting wireless N is it). Did you always have the Connect hooked to the router?
Userlevel 1
Badge
Yes that is correct but now i have it hooked to my router to try the wireless setup wich gave that previously mentioned error
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
OK - so in the beginning you had your Connect hooked to router and were using Sonosnet but had problems.

You have verified now your wifi and sonos are on different channels.

Now what happens if you unplug the Play:1 from the Connect (with the connect still hooked to the router)?
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
That is very strange.... Some kind of interference sounds like to me when using Sonosnet. What channel is Sonosnet on right now / what channel is your router on right now.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
I would put Sonos on Channel 1 and your router on Channel 11 since that is a pretty powerful router and may be spreading across too many channels.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
That is very strange ... we really need Sonos to look at those logs as that should tell them more as to why your network isn't keeping up.

Try this for now - goto your sonos settings...room (your connect). Click on the tab for Line-In. Set it to Compressed.

See if reducing the bandwidth with compressed at least gets it working wirelessly when using phonograph. As it is working ok with online music sounds like it is operating ok with more limited bandwidth.

Then just need to figure out what is causing Sonosnet to run slow.

I assume your router has rebooted numerous times with all the channel changing.
Userlevel 7
Badge +19
Hey there, helmervanderveen, Thanks for posting and for all the effort troubleshooting thus far. Based on the diagnostic report you submitted, it seems the CONNECT is having a hard time initializing wireless communication at all. Interestingly enough, I'm not seeing any immediate hardware errors. Let's try a factory reset to ensure it's not something that can be remedied quickly. If the issue persists after the reset, please send me a PM with the following information and I'll be happy to get you sorted. Thanks again!

First and Last Name:
Shipping Address:
Contact Number:

HUGE thanks to Chris for digging in deep and troubleshooting. Much appreciated!
Userlevel 1
Badge
Hello

I tried the factory reset en the speaker. And still no succes. It seems i can only use one wireless speaker at a time in my current setup, because when i unplug the wire and choose that speaker first it plays music and when i add my other speaker it does not work while it was working wireless.

I am going to send you a pm today
Userlevel 1
Badge
Thanks for the reply!
I ran the diagnostic with both speakers and the connect in a group while playing the record player. This came out :370802162
Now i am going to wire the speakers via ethernet cable
Userlevel 1
Badge
Ok so with the one that was not working wireless. Works when connected via cable. Ran diagnostics again: 46059439 came out this time so both speakers work now.
Userlevel 1
Badge
And when i try wireless setup i get an error that says that i should enable the player Via cable to my router
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
When you set the Router to same channel sonos was on ... change sonos in settings...advanced to a different channel (don't have them both on same channel).
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
With a play:1 wired to the router. You go to settings....advanced....wifi setup. And what error do you get?
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
When the Play:1 is wired to your router also go to settings...about my sonos .... what WM:? number does it say beside each unit.
Userlevel 1
Badge
It says for all three devices 0