Answered

Playlist Set up Android

• 13 December 2020
  • 3 replies

I am running Sonos S2 Ver 12.2.1 on an Android device and am unable to create a simple playlist of selected music I have copied to the SD card in my device despite having followed all the instructions about adding a song to a queue then adding it from there to a playlist. The app will not allow me to create a playlist.

Now I have found a little phrase in a closed discussion that reads:

“Note, you cannot add tracks on a mobile device to a playlist, only from My Music Library or music services.”

My Music Library is something I recall had something to do with the dreaded iTunes- something I have happily had nothing to do with since switching to Android.

Are you seriously telling me I can’t create a playlist in Sonos from my music collection?

icon

Best answer by John B 13 December 2020, 11:23

Sonos is designed as a multi-user, multiroom, multisource system.  Sonos playlists are stored on the speakers and are part of the whole system, available to al users, and permanently present.  When playing from a mobile device was added to the system Sonos decided that playlists of tracks on a mobile device were best dealt with on the device, and playable on Sonos from there.  FWIW, this seems to me a coherent and reasonable approach.

So you should be able to create playlists in a music player on your phone and then find the within ‘on this mobile device’.  I say ‘should’ because a few people have recently reported problems with this.  On my Samsung S9 and using Samsung Music as the player in which I create playlists, it works perfectly.

(I hardly ever use it though, because I have ways of organising and listening to my music on Sonos that I prefer to playing from a phone.)

View original

3 replies

Sonos is designed as a multi-user, multiroom, multisource system.  Sonos playlists are stored on the speakers and are part of the whole system, available to al users, and permanently present.  When playing from a mobile device was added to the system Sonos decided that playlists of tracks on a mobile device were best dealt with on the device, and playable on Sonos from there.  FWIW, this seems to me a coherent and reasonable approach.

So you should be able to create playlists in a music player on your phone and then find the within ‘on this mobile device’.  I say ‘should’ because a few people have recently reported problems with this.  On my Samsung S9 and using Samsung Music as the player in which I create playlists, it works perfectly.

(I hardly ever use it though, because I have ways of organising and listening to my music on Sonos that I prefer to playing from a phone.)

Ok got it, thanks.

Had to play around before I found a player that Sonos would recognise but all good now.

Excellent explanation thank you.

Userlevel 2
Badge +4

Bull