Answered

Playlist Set up Android

• 13 December 2020
  • 4 replies

I am running Sonos S2 Ver 12.2.1 on an Android device and am unable to create a simple playlist of selected music I have copied to the SD card in my device despite having followed all the instructions about adding a song to a queue then adding it from there to a playlist. The app will not allow me to create a playlist.

Now I have found a little phrase in a closed discussion that reads:

“Note, you cannot add tracks on a mobile device to a playlist, only from My Music Library or music services.”

My Music Library is something I recall had something to do with the dreaded iTunes- something I have happily had nothing to do with since switching to Android.

Are you seriously telling me I can’t create a playlist in Sonos from my music collection?

icon

Best answer by John B 13 December 2020, 11:23

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

Sonos is designed as a multi-user, multiroom, multisource system.  Sonos playlists are stored on the speakers and are part of the whole system, available to al users, and permanently present.  When playing from a mobile device was added to the system Sonos decided that playlists of tracks on a mobile device were best dealt with on the device, and playable on Sonos from there.  FWIW, this seems to me a coherent and reasonable approach.

So you should be able to create playlists in a music player on your phone and then find the within ‘on this mobile device’.  I say ‘should’ because a few people have recently reported problems with this.  On my Samsung S9 and using Samsung Music as the player in which I create playlists, it works perfectly.

(I hardly ever use it though, because I have ways of organising and listening to my music on Sonos that I prefer to playing from a phone.)

Ok got it, thanks.

Had to play around before I found a player that Sonos would recognise but all good now.

Excellent explanation thank you.

Userlevel 2
Badge +4

Bull

Hello, for the few complaints on samsung devices, kindly create the playlists using samsung music. Since samsung devices(most android systems) store their playlist in a hidden folder. My thinking is sonos can not read from those files. But dont worry there is a workaround. From samsung music go to settings menu then look for export playlist to internal storage. That should export your playlist where sonos can read. The continue to sonos on thismobile...... hope it helps.