Question

Playlist library full - how can this be extended ?

• 8 November 2015
  • 8 replies

I run a Sonos system with a Sonos controller.
I've got a couple of sonos controllers and have set up many playlists.
I now find that I don't have space to set up any more and have to delete one to add one.
Firstly... does anyone know where these playlists are being stored ?
and secondly does anyone know how more storage can be added so I can add a few more playlists.?
and thirdly if not possible with my current configuration would if help if I change to using a different type of controller like an ipad ?

Thanks all

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

8 replies

As far as I know the playlists are stored on the Sonos players themselves, not the controllers and as they have a limited amount of memory there isn't anything you can do about it.
The Sonos Playlist are indeed stored in each and every Player. To judge by the error message when the limit is reached, memory space is shared with the local queue.

The rule of thumb has been that the aggregate limit across all Sonos Playlists is 10000 tracks. However the cumulative length of the internal references to the tracks -- pathnames for the local library, URIs for online music -- can apparently reduce that figure.

In the case of local library tracks it can help to store tracks from an album contiguously, rather than shuffled throughout the playlist. Sonos seems to do some basic compression when a directory path is repeated between adjacent tracks. Since saving a shuffled queue stores it in actual shuffled order this can be a crucial factor in terms of keeping within playlist storage limits.
As far as I know the playlists are stored on the Sonos players themselves, not the controllers and as they have a limited amount of memory there isn't anything you can do about it.

By "Sonos players" I take it you mean the Connect and Connect:Amp.
I have 4 of these. Is a copy of all my playlists saved on each of these?
or does a sonos system pool the memory of each and spread my playlists over all of them ?

Would adding another Connect or Connect:Amp to my system give me additional space for playlist storage ?

Thanks
Is a copy of all my playlists saved on each of these?
Every Player has its own copy. The system has to work when any combination of Players is powered up.

Would adding another Connect or Connect:Amp to my system give me additional space for playlist storage ?

No. But see my earlier comments about the effect of shuffle.

As an aside, Sonos Playlists are not really suitable for permanent storage. They're essentially queue snapshots. There's no means of exporting them for external backup. To rely on them as a strategic part of your library would be unwise.
So The Playlist capacity is restricted to which ever component (either Connect or Connect Amp) has the smallest amount of memory. What alternatives can anyone suggest ?
I suspect the memory will be surface mounted so I couldn't just open up my units and add more RAM. (Yeah - I know this would almost certainly invalidate my warranty but I'm not really getting any help on how to do this).

Is there no option of saving my playlists on network storage and pointing to that from the Sonos system ?

Alternatively does anyone know of any developments happening within Sonos-land that might help me at some point in the future ?
I feel exactly like Mark, and I'm betting that a lot of Sonos users do to. Storage and library capacity should only be limited by hard drive space on the pc based instance of the software. This strikes me as a programmers software problem. Sonos as an app should NOT HAVE such limited storage capacity. There should be a software update to fix this problem. It's just not acceptable the way that it is now an has been for a long time. This problem has been ignored long enough by Sonos.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Create playlists in a music service (eg Apple, Spotify). Those are not constrained by the memory limitations of Sonos playlists. Its not like Sonos can magically add flash memory to original Play1s or Play5s.
I'm running up against this now, is there still no solution? Why would sonos limit this so strictly while also not supporting export to agnostic playlist formats? Why would they want you to have to manage music in more than one application for use in their application?