Playlist -- artwork for playlist is blank in the app (but not for the songs)

• 19 October 2021
  • 4 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +9

So I have a Sonos playlist (about 40 songs).   The artwork for ALL of the individual songs all show up in the app when looking at the songs in the playlist, and when playing the playlist.  But when looking at my list of playlists in the app (I’m on S2), there is no artwork for this playlist.   My other playlists all have artwork as a cover for the playlist.  

Any suggestion on how to fix?  Note that I recently got a new PC.  And this happened after the switch of the music library to the new PC.    I tried closing app and re-starting it.  Doesn’t change anything.  

Thoughts?

4 replies

Do you mean the playlist entry in Sonos Favorites? If so try removing it from Favorites and re-adding it using the PC controller.

Userlevel 5
Badge +9

Do you mean the playlist entry in Sonos Favorites? If so try removing it from Favorites and re-adding it using the PC controller.

There is only one playlist entry in the app that I can see.  When I click on the star icon in the iOS app on my phone (which I think is what you mean by “favorites”, it takes me to the “My Sonos” screen, which shows:   1. recently played  2.  Pandora Stations 3.  Playlists  4.  Songs  5. Albums, etc.

If I delete it there, doesn’t it blow away the playlist entirely?  This is a “Sonos Playlist” (not a playlist created anywhere else).

And I definitely don’t want to remove this playlist (if its gone for good), since the number of songs and the order took a lot of time.  

No, don’t delete it on the iOS app. That really would remove the playlist entirely.

You mentioned getting a new PC so I thought you might be using the Sonos desktop controller, which has Favorites instead of My Sonos.

So if you fully exit the iOS controller (swipe away from the background apps, then wait ~15 secs) and restart it is there still no artwork for the playlist? What about if you remove your local music library shares and re-add them?

Controllers can sometimes do funny things as far as caching artwork is concerned, especially composite artwork for playlists.  

Userlevel 5
Badge +9

No, don’t delete it on the iOS app. That really would remove the playlist entirely.

You mentioned getting a new PC so I thought you might be using the Sonos desktop controller, which has Favorites instead of My Sonos.

So if you fully exit the iOS controller (swipe away from the background apps, then wait ~15 secs) and restart it is there still no artwork for the playlist? What about if you remove your local music library shares and re-add them?

Controllers can sometimes do funny things as far as caching artwork is concerned, especially composite artwork for playlists.  

So your response had me check the desktop controller. 

I noticed that some albums in favorites in the desktop controller were not showing artwork (but the artwork was showing in the iOS app).  So in the app, I removed those albums and re-added them (didn’t fix the issue with the playlist - but fixed the issue in the desktop controller).  

But I also noticed that some of those albums that had not been showing artwork on the PC, also had songs (from the album) contained in the playlist with the artwork issue.  So I removed those songs and re-added them to the playlist.   Problem solved!    All fixed!   

So something happened in the switchover to the new PC - and the new music library path.  But all seems well now.   Thanks!  Didn’t know the PC controller was organized a little differently.