Answered

Playing same channel on two different devices, why are they not in sync?

• 26 March 2020
  • 8 replies

An Example: I am playing the same streaming channel in 2 (or more) different Sonos rooms, that are intentionally NOT in a group. The devices are not in sync, because the Sonos app detects this as different streams.

Why can’t the Sonos app detect this scenario and stream that channel to all rooms in sync?

It saves Internet bandwidth and eliminates the “echo” effect (or worse) that’s caused by the out-of-sync rooms. To me, the programming for this ought to be pretty simple. You already have all the information you need for this.

Yes, I know I can create a group. Simple enough. But what if I want to then separate the group and play separate channels? Tedious indeed.

The simplest solution would be for the app to allow using one or two clicks to create a group, and add or remove a room from a group without interrupting the stream in the remaining room(s). Unless I’m missing something, I don’t think there’s now a way to do this.

Thanks in advance for your response(s).

icon

Best answer by pjay337 26 March 2020, 02:04

Nevermind. I had re-added a player to my system that had been disconnected awhile, and made sure it had the latest updates. What I was trying to do didn’t seem to work at first.

I tried it again and it did seem to work OK. Easy enough to add a player to a group and disconnect as well, without interrupting the stream. My apologies for wasting folks’ time.

Will let you know if the situation comes up again.

Cheers.

View original

8 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

A bit late to this but I’d hate auto-grouping for some of our listening.

While we might be listening to the same stream in different rooms we might want to pause it in one room and let it continue playing in another. It would also be a PITA to find we had been auto-grouped when one of us wants to listen to a different stream and also changes what the other was happily listening to.

Nevermind. I had re-added a player to my system that had been disconnected awhile, and made sure it had the latest updates. What I was trying to do didn’t seem to work at first.

I tried it again and it did seem to work OK. Easy enough to add a player to a group and disconnect as well, without interrupting the stream. My apologies for wasting folks’ time.

Will let you know if the situation comes up again.

Cheers.

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

I think he is confusing pairing with grouping

But as my post says …. when listening to stream click the device icon to right of volume slider and check the additional rooms to play the same stream (2 click option to group and no drop in current speaker).

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Grouping is very simple and doesn’t interrupt the stream your listening to.   Maybe you are thinking of pairing.

When listening to one speaker and want to group in another speaker - - to the right of the volume slider click on the device icon and pick speaker in house you also want to play to.   Immediately and quick you now have grouped in the other speaker (actually that is 2 clicks you are wanting)

You also can group by selecting room icon at bottom.   Then click group button beside the speaker playing and choose other speakers to play the same stream.

There is no way to do this currently. Sonos doesn’t have the AI necessary to understand that you’re playing two copies of the same stream, they assume that you are capable of using the grouping function. The thing to remember is that the stream is being acquired by the speaker, and not being ‘processed’ by the controller app.

I run unto the same thing if I listen to a stream in my computer, and the same stream on my iPad, they’re not in sync, because to the server feeding the stream, they appear to be separate requests, even though they are from the same subnet.

I’m sure the Sonos folks will pass this request to the teams involved, but I wouldn’t expect a lot of change in this direction, although I really don’t know how much additional AI processing will occur in the new Sonos 2 software coming up. 

Tedious?  Not in my opinion. 

Click Rooms.  Click Group on the Room/Group you wish to group to/ungroup from.   Check the boxes on the rooms you wish to group, uncheck the ones you wish to ungroup, click done.  None of this will interuptthe stream in the rooms that are checked when you hit Done.

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

oh I see you know the solution.    No I don’t see how they system should detect that situation and make the grouping for you.

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Most likely you have started the channel on 2 different devices and the internet stream is not in sync (normally isn’t)

You want to start the channel on one device and group the 2nd speaker with the first (don’t open another stream by going to the station on the second speaker).   By grouping the 2 speakers to the same internet stream they will then be in sync.