Playing different Spotify content in different rooms no longer working

Userlevel 1
Badge

I’ve been using Sonos with Spotify for many years now, and have always been able to play different songs in different rooms without any problems.

However, after receiving and setting up my Roam earlier today, this is no longer the case… :-(

Every time I try to start playing one song in one room, and then start another in another room, the first room stops playing, and the Sonos App (S2) says the following:

«Playback stopped in XXX. The Spotify account is beeing used elsewhere» (May not be 100% correct, as it is loosely translated from norwegian, but anyway)

And yes, before anyone suggest the limitations related to Alexa/Google etc; this is using the native Sonos App only. No Spotify Connect involved either ;-)

If there has been made any changes to the terms and conditions, and/or how the integration with Spotify (and other services) works, and this is the case, I cannot recall being «warned» about this.

The ability to play different content in different rooms with one (1) Spotify-account has always been one of Sonos’ core strengt in my opinion.

I REALLY hope that this is just an temporary issue, or a bug introduced with one of the latest software-versions? Otherwise, the Sonos+Spotify experience is rendered somewhat useless… :-(

If anyone else is experiencing the same, please reply. I also hope that a representant from Sonos also reads this and can give feedback on this issue.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

62 replies

@ChrisHolzer - that’s a fair point about Alexa, which does place additional restrictions.

That apart, a Family account does  allow each family member to play from their Spotify account on Sonos in different rooms at the same time.

However, as far as multiple Spotify streams from a single account is concerned, it does seem that something has changed recently for some but not all Spotify users on Sonos, and it doesn’t sound like it was intentional.   We await developments.

@Sonos are you in touch with Spotify to solve this ? It’s quite crazy that this issue seems normal to erverybody while it were working for years….

The problem has been fixed. For us it works again as before. Thank you very much!

I have the exact same problem. Yesterday I received my two Sonos Roam speakers. I upgraded my system to Sonos S2 and connected my new speakers. Everything seemed to work just fine until I tried to play music in another room. The music stopped playing in the first room saying the Spotify account is already being used on another device. This is really annoying. I'm even considering sending back the Roam speakers if I cannot solve this quickly.  

Hi

I have the same problem. However, I didn't add to Roam. I tried all the methods mentioned above, including changing the password.

Diagnosis 1732402145

I’ve been using Sonos with Spotify for many years now, and have always been able to play different songs in different rooms without any problems.

However, after receiving and setting up my Roam earlier today, this is no longer the case… :-(

Every time I try to start playing one song in one room, and then start another in another room, the first room stops playing, and the Sonos App (S2) says the following:

«Playback stopped in XXX. The Spotify account is beeing used elsewhere» (May not be 100% correct, as it is loosely translated from norwegian, but anyway)

And yes, before anyone suggest the limitations related to Alexa/Google etc; this is using the native Sonos App only. No Spotify Connect involved either ;-)

If there has been made any changes to the terms and conditions, and/or how the integration with Spotify (and other services) works, and this is the case, I cannot recall being «warned» about this.

The ability to play different content in different rooms with one (1) Spotify-account has always been one of Sonos’ core strengt in my opinion.

I REALLY hope that this is just an temporary issue, or a bug introduced with one of the latest software-versions? Otherwise, the Sonos+Spotify experience is rendered somewhat useless… :-(

If anyone else is experiencing the same, please reply. I also hope that a representant from Sonos also reads this and can give feedback on this issue.

I've also been a Sonos / Spotify user for many years now. I've experienced the exact same problem. Since upgrading to the Sonos S2 app and adding 2 Roams, playing songs from spotify on two different speakers is not possible anymore. Don't know if the S2 app or the Roams are causing this problem, but it is quite annoying. I've tried all suggestions mentioned above. Even tried to adding another Spotify account to the Sonos system, but nothing seems to solve this. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +15

Thanks for bearing with me everyone, I’ve checked in with our senior engineers, and there has indeed been a slight increase in Stream Limit errors reported in recent diagnostics.

At this point there’s still some more testing we’d like to perform to determine the root cause of this - if possible, it would be great if you could get in touch with our Support Team via phone call so we can perform some live troubleshooting, and see if the issue persists with some test accounts.

If calling in isn’t convenient but you’d be happy to do some testing on your own and have access to a separate Spotify premium account, another option would be to completely remove the current Spotify account from your Sonos system, and then add the new one - do you continue to experience this with the new account?

Update: After unplugging all of the speakers, I can confirm everything is functioning back to normal! 

@sdaless . OK I admit I was mistaken in thinking a dedicated Spotify ‘family member’ for Sonos was unusual. But in some cases this appears to have been adopted because users don’t realise that every family member can add their Spotify login to a single Sonos system.  The Spotify account to which a controller defaults can be chosen independently for each controller, although each controller can play from any of the Spotify accounts.

If everyone just uses their own account and not yours, you have no problems using your account when away.

I guess it’s good that these different ‘models’ are available to fit different users’ requirements.

Userlevel 6
Badge +15

Glad to hear it @ullefutz, too early to say if this is working for all who were affected, but certainly a good sign!

Opened a discussion today in the morning about this exact topic, but in German SONOS forum …

Using SONOS für 3 years, right now 4 Play:1 and 1 Move.

Problem started to occur yesterday in the evening.

Hope that it is fixed when I’m at home today in the evening; post by @ullefutz makes me hope for the best. 

Badge

It’s working again for us as well!!!  Thanks Sonos!  

As a note, I have automatic updates enabled, but didn’t have to manually apply a new update.  So, it either updated itself to a new version or they fixed it on the backend without creating a need to update locally.

Spotify fixed the problem. ;) And I can confirm it’s fixed.

https://community.spotify.com/t5/Other-Partners-Web-Player-etc/Different-music-in-different-rooms-Sonos/td-p/5191774/page/2

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

I've always understood Sonos and Spotify work as follows:

• grouped speakers are seen as one user by Spotify;
  • different speakers are seen as different users and when using the same Spotify account the music stops on the first speaker as you start playing from the second.

On my system it does work like this, but on your system it didn't? And now your system seems to have reverted to the standard as described above? Then there's probably nothing to be resolved…..

Userlevel 6
Badge +15

Hi @balle3201, thanks for reaching out to the Sonos Community.

You’re quite correct that you should be able to start multiple Spotify streams from within the Sonos app - we’ve just tested this on our side and it’s working as expected.

Just to confirm, this only started since adding the Roam? Does this issue occur if the Roam is not included in the rooms that you start playback in?

The only reason I can think for this to happen is your Spotify subscription running out, or a break in the link between Sonos and your Spotify account. Would you mind double checking that the Spotify account is still on a premium subscription, and if so, reauthorizing the account via the Sonos app? (Settings > Services > Spotify > Reauthorize account)

Userlevel 1
Badge

Hi @balle3201, thanks for reaching out to the Sonos Community.

You’re quite correct that you should be able to start multiple Spotify streams from within the Sonos app - we’ve just tested this on our side and it’s working as expected.

Just to confirm, this only started since adding the Roam? Does this issue occur if the Roam is not included in the rooms that you start playback in?

The only reason I can think for this to happen is your Spotify subscription running out, or a break in the link between Sonos and your Spotify account. Would you mind double checking that the Spotify account is still on a premium subscription, and if so, reauthorizing the account via the Sonos app? (Settings > Services > Spotify > Reauthorize account)

Hi, @Xander P  :-)

Thank you for getting back to me regarding this issue.

Yes, from what I know this must have started to occur right after i added the Roam to my system yesterday. The abilitiy to play different tracks in different rooms (with one single account) is a feature that I have been using for quite a long time now, so I guess you can understand the “horror” I was experiencing when it didn’t work anymore…

Just to clearify, I have a routine (alert) which starts playing different chill(axing) music in each of my girls’ bedroom around bedtime every night. They obviously have different taste in music, so each routine plays from different playlists. That was upontil yesterday :-(

I was also playing around with a theory around the Roam beeing included or not, when this happens, but it occurs regardless if the Roam is playing or not (or is even turned on for that matter).

I have rebooted all devices (incl. Boost), Updated the system (along with introduction of the Roam), and have also already tried to reauthorize the Sonos + Spotify Connection.My subscription (Permium Family) in Spotify also seems to be fine. 

This behaviour happens throughout my entire system now, regardless of what rooms (players) I try with, grouped or not. The only time it does work, is if I start playing from one Spotify account in one room, and another Spotify account in the other room. 

Would perhaps resetting the Roam (and effectly removing it from my system) be a way for me to test if this might be the cause?

I will gladly share Diagnostics Information if needed, so please let me know if so.

Lastly, I would ike to mention that I am well aware and used to having playback-conflict(s) between Sonos and Spotify, whenever I’m working on my Laptop and listening to Spotify there directly, and this is quite understandable as they are different systems. But this is, as also stated earlier, with in Sonos only. 

I really hope that you can investigate this further and help me sort this out…

Kindest regards, Øyvind

Userlevel 6
Badge +15

Hi @balle3201, thanks for trying those steps and providing that diagnostic.

Unfortunately there weren’t many clues in the diagnostic, other than showing that a stream limit has been reached, and that Sonos is definitely seeing your Spotify account as a premium account.

I have in the last few minutes however, found this thread;

Where it seems that using Spotify’s “Sign Out of all Devices" option, and then reauthorizing the Spotify account(s) within Sonos resolved the issue. Mind letting us know if that helps?

In the meantime, we’re raising this with the senior engineers for investigation.

While I would certainly be surprised if this turns out to be related to the Roam, stranger things can and have happened!

Regarding the routines - got it, that should indeed be working if they’re using alarms set via the Sonos app, thanks for confirming :)

HI,

I have been using the sonos app for over a year now with spotifi playing in different rooms on different speakers with different play lists and now my app is doing the same thing. Have tried everything in regards to rebooting to re-signing in etc etc with no luck. Does the exact same thing and says I'm playing on a different device when I select and play in a different room, even though I have premium subscription too, I believe this has happened since the last update maybe? This needs fixing or Sonos is useless, as the whole idea is controlling multiple speakers from the once device.    

Unfortunately there weren’t many clues in the diagnostic, other than showing that a stream limit has been reached, and that Sonos is definitely seeing your Spotify account as a premium account.

Where it seems that using Spotify’s “Sign Out of all Devices" option, and then reauthorizing the Spotify account(s) within Sonos resolved the issue. Mind letting us know if that helps?

In the meantime, we’re raising this with the senior engineers for investigation.

While I would certainly be surprised if this turns out to be related to the Roam, stranger things can and have happened!

Regarding the routines - got it, that should indeed be working if they’re using alarms set via the Sonos app, thanks for confirming :)

Hi @Xander P ,

Can confirm im having the exact same issue. When attempting to play more than one Spotify stream on any of my Sonos products the initial speaker will stop streaming in favour of the second speaker. Then the error message appears.

I have followed your steps above and logged out of all Devices via Spotify account, reauthorized Spotify via Sonos app and problem still remains.

This issue has just started today.

Submitted diagnostics: 617421800

kind regards,

Hudskee

Userlevel 1
Badge

Hi again, @Xander P 

It clearly seems like I’m not alone here, “fortunately” :cry: (based on the increased number of similar responses above)

I have now tried the following several times without any success:

• “Sign out everywhere” under “Accounts” in Spotify
  • “Remove Access” for Sonos under “Apps” in Spotify 
  • “Remove account” (Spotify) in Sonos App 

After googling a bit, I was crossing my fingers hoping that the “Remove Access” (which I hadn’t tried before) would be the trick to fix this issue, but unfortunately this did not resolve anything eiher…

However, one thing that I find peculiar is that when using my wife’s Spotify-account in Sonos, everything works as expected. It is worth mentioning that I have three (3) accounts in total, my wife’s, my oldest daughter’s and my own, and both mine and my daughter’s is not working as it used to.

I’m not going “all in” and claiming that this must be related to the Sonos Roam, as I see that other’s are experiencing the same without having the Roam. But in my case however, the introduction of the Roam is the only thing that has changed to my system recently, and everything was working perfectly last week..

I know this might sound a bit unfair, but at the moment I kind of blame all of this on the Sonos Roam, and havn’t had the chance to really enjoy it yet...

Anyway, I am very greatful for your feedback, @Xander P, and that you (and others in Sonos) are looking into this, and I hope that you (perhaps in collaboration with Spotify) are able to resolve this issue as soon as possible.

Adding a link to a similar thread in the Spotify Community, where I have added a response to someone else’s post where I explain my problem: Different music in different rooms- Sonos

Hi Xander P,

I can confirm that I have the same issues.

It was working until today. I can see that my Sonos 2 app was updated overnight by Google play.

This version is 13.0.5

My play:1s x 4 are all running Version 13.0 (build 62186220)

Diagnostics : 1517692638

Cheers

Thanks for bearing with me everyone, I’ve checked in with our senior engineers, and there has indeed been a slight increase in Stream Limit errors reported in recent diagnostics.

At this point there’s still some more testing we’d like to perform to determine the root cause of this - if possible, it would be great if you could get in touch with our Support Team via phone call so we can perform some live troubleshooting, and see if the issue persists with some test accounts.

If calling in isn’t convenient but you’d be happy to do some testing on your own and have access to a separate Spotify premium account, another option would be to completely remove the current Spotify account from your Sonos system, and then add the new one - do you continue to experience this with the new account?

I have also tried getting in touch with the support team but the phone seems to be stuck on the are you OK with having the call recorded question.

We have a Spotify family plan which means my wife can be using Spotify at the same time that I’m using it to play something different. That’s why we pay more for the family plan. But this does not work with Sonos. If I play Spotify through Sonos in one room and she starts to play Spotify through Sonos in another room it stops my stream and says “your Spotify account is being used elsewhere”. This doesn’t work for us. May return our Sonos gear if we can’t resolve it. 

I've got the same problem. I have not changed anything or added any new Sonos devices since it worked. 

I’m having the same problem.  This has never happened before and I have changed nothing. 

Same problem for us over the last week.  No system changes or updates that I recall.  Just switches off room one and pops up an error message about streaming limits when selecting music in room two.  We've always been able to play multiple concurrent streams from one Spotify premium account (we have an 8 room set up) and have happily used it for around 4 years.  Now this problem.  

I see other users are also complaining.  @Xander P  are you able to confirm that the problem is being solved for us?  

Thanks