Answered

Playbase won’t power on without TV

• 4 September 2021
  • 9 replies

I have had a playbase connected to my Samsung TV for 2 years now and have never been able to power on my playbase to listen to music unless the TV is also powered on. if I’m listening to music through Spotify on my iPhone app, the Playbase will turn off 5 minutes after my TV turns off. 

icon

Best answer by AjTrek1 5 September 2021, 14:21

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

9 replies

Userlevel 7

Hi

The Sonos Playbase has no power button. Therefore you can’t power it on or off...once setup it’s always on...but in a low power state until a signal is detected.

If properly setup the Playbase shows as a room in the Sonos App. To play music to the Playbase just select room. 

If you are listening to TV audio through the Playbase you should turnoff the TV before you send it (the Playbase) another source signal. The same best practice applies if you are playing music to the Playbase and decide you want to listen to TV audio...stop the music before you begin TV audio.

So unless you have another device between the optical connection to TV/Playbase there should be no issues.  

BTW...what brand/model TV is the Playbase connected to?

Thanks for the quick reply!

I have my playbase connected to my Samsung 75” Class 7 Series via Optical. 

the playbase does show as a room on the app, however, when the TV is off, the Playbase (and paired One SL’s) says there’s a connection issue with the Playbase, or that system completely disappears from the app altogether. As long as the TV remains on, the Playbase will then be able to stream music. 

I have a beam in my bedroom setup and do not have the same problems. It never turns off, persists in the app and can play music even when TV is off. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

How exactly is your Playbase connected to your network? Wired/WiFi/SonosNet?

(Clutching at straws here, this makes no sense).

Right? It makes no sense!

Ihave it connected to Wi-Fi. 

Userlevel 7

Are there range extenders/access points in your network?

Is your network a Mesh setup?

No mesh set up. No range extenders. Very strong signal as the Playbase is just 2 feet from high bandwidth router. =\

Userlevel 7

OK…

How is the Playbase connected to its power source? It should be direct to a wall outlet or surge protection power strip. 

However it sounds as if your TV is an actuator for a smart outlet power strip that then sends power to other plugged in devices (such as your Playbase). So when the TV is powered down so is the Playbase. I had a setup like that years ago when I was dealing with stereo amplifiers and source components.

If the above is not the case try plugging the Playbase into a different power outlet. If the issue continues you may want to contact Sonos Tech Support. 

@AjTrek1 - you are a genius! My Brother in-law installed my entertainment system/TV so I had no idea that he used a special surge protector, until I read your comment and went to thoroughly view it. It is an advanced power saving powerstrip! I’ve been trying to troubleshoot this problem for 2 years!

Thank you Thank you!

Userlevel 7

@AjTrek1 - you are a genius! My Brother in-law installed my entertainment system/TV so I had no idea that he used a special surge protector, until I read your comment and went to thoroughly view it. It is an advanced power saving powerstrip! I’ve been trying to troubleshoot this problem for 2 years!

Thank you Thank you!

@Kikiwallace 

Glad I could help! Enjoy your Sonos 😀