Answered

Playbase WiFi connection permanently(?) lost

Hi,
I have a TV surround setup with Playbase, 2 x Play:1 and a Sub which has been working perfectly fine for 3 weeks.
A couple of days ago the Playbase lost the WiFi-connection; TV sound through optical still works but the surround sound is lost since the Playbar cannot find the other speakers.

I've tried rebooting the Playbar several times, and I've rebooted the router, without success.
When I removed the Play:1's and the Sub from TV-setup they all popped up as standalone units in the Sonos app, so they are fine.

If I wire the Playbar to the router directly with a cable the surround is re-established so I'm pretty sure something's wrong with the WiFi connection.

Any ideas how to solve this?

Best regards
Martin Hallberg
icon

Best answer by Jeff S 9 July 2018, 18:45

Hi after a couple of months of excellent performance, all of a sudden my PLAYBASE can't connect to the wireless network anymore. After multiple resets, wired connection works but not wireless etc it still could'nt connect to the wireless setup. I have a feeling this is a wireless card failure.

PLEASE HELP ME DIAGNOSE: 361725412

Hi migscruz,

Thanks for sending in the report. It looks like there's an issue with the wireless card on your PLAYBASE. Please reach out to our phone team who can help out from here. You can find our phone number and hours here.
View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

69 replies

It's possible there's indeed an issue with the wifi connection. May I suggest that you connect the Playbar to your router with a ethernet cable so that it's working, and then submit a system diagnostic and post the diagnostic here? That might give the folks at Sonos some insight on what might be going on, from wifi interference all the way to hardware failure.
Airgetlam, thanks for the advice.

Wasn't aware og the diagnostics reporting feature,
Just sent a diagnostic request so hopefully the Sonos staff picks it up.

If anyone from Sonos tech supports read this my diagnostics confirmation number is: 7442096

Martin
Userlevel 7
Badge +19
Hello there,

Thank you for sending us the diagnostic report. I was able to take a look at it, and I noticed that the CONNECT is also plugged into the router. Is this how it normally is wired? If so we should remove the wireless credentials from the system to prevent Sonos from accidentally trying to talk to the network through wifi. Here's how to do that:

Sonos Controller App for iOS or Android: Settings > Advanced Settings > Wireless Setup >Reset
Sonos Controller App for Mac: Sonos > Preferences > Advanced > Wireless Setup > Reset
Sonos Controller App for PC: Manage > Settings > Advanced > Wireless Setup > Reset

Afterward, test out the audio and submit diagnostics. Respond with the confirmation number and we can see what progress we've made.
Hi,
Thanks for the feedback.
I did a reset of the Wifi configuration in the app according to instructions;
The following diagnostics submittal returned confirmation number: 7444406

Both the Connect and the Playbase are still able to play music; the Connect is permanently wired to the router while the Playbase are currently wired to the router for this test/diagnostic session.
If I remove the cable between the Playbase and the router the "Playbase room" is no longer available from the room selection list in the Sonos app.

Martin
Badge +1
Hi,
Thanks for the feedback.
I did a reset of the Wifi configuration in the app according to instructions;
The following diagnostics submittal returned confirmation number: 7444406

Both the Connect and the Playbase are still able to play music; the Connect is permanently wired to the router while the Playbase are currently wired to the router for this test/diagnostic session.
If I remove the cable between the Playbase and the router the "Playbase room" is no longer available from the room selection list in the Sonos app.

Martin

Hi martinhallberg we'd like to get this over to our email team so we've opened incident #170530-001052. Someone will be reaching out shortly.
Hi Sonos-Team,

I am facing the same situation since yesteray, playbase is working with TV, but you do not see it connected to the router or in the controller.
Am I supposed to submit a system diagnostic as described as well?

Kind regards
Henning
Userlevel 3
Badge +2
Hello schulhen, have you sent through a diagnostic report? We'd like to take a look with the PLAYBASE connected to the router via ethernet.
Hi Sonos-Team,
was the #170530-001052 incident solved? Because i am facing the same problem. No more WiFi connection on my playbase. If the playbase is connected via Ethernet, my router table shows the interface. But that doesn't work with m y Play1's to regroup them with the playbase, cause as soon as i unplug the Ethernet from the playbase, no WiFI connection from the playbase.
Kind regards,
Simon
Userlevel 7
Badge +19
Hi there, simonCH: Thanks for reaching out and welcome to the Community. That ticket has been handled but regarding your specific situation, I would recommend submitting a diagnostic report with the PLAYBASE plugged into the router. This will give us helpful information about the PLAYBASE and determine what we need to do next. Be sure to reply with the seven-digit confirmation number it gives at the end.
Hi there, simonCH: Thanks for reaching out and welcome to the Community.... Be sure to reply with the seven-digit confirmation number it gives at the end.
Thanks for the quick reply. Will run the diagnostics when i'm back home.
Hi there, simonCH: Thanks for reaching out and welcome to the Community. That ticket has been handled but regarding your specific situation, I would recommend submitting a diagnostic report with the PLAYBASE plugged into the router. This will give us helpful information about the PLAYBASE and determine what we need to do next. Be sure to reply with the seven-digit confirmation number it gives at the end.

Playbase diagnose done, number: 7997831
Userlevel 7
Badge +19
simonCH: Thanks for the fresh diagnostic report. I was able to take a closer look and it seems we will need to replace the unit. I have created a ticket for you and have reached out to you via email for further details. Looking forward to your reply.
Hi there. My Sonos Playbase has today started suffering this issue. It no longer connects to my Wi-fi and shows as a ? in my sonos app along with my left and right Play 1s and Sub.

I normally have my system using my home Wi-fi but I have wired the Playbase into my router so it now appears again and submitted diagnostics with confirmation number 8192662.

It would be great if someone could take a look and see what the issue is please.
First thing to do in these cases, beyond what you've already done by posting the diagnostic, is to try a reboot of the PLAYBASE. Unplug it from power for 15 seconds, then plug it back in. Wait a minute for it to reboot, and then check to see if it still shows as a ? in the app.
airgetlam - Thank you for the reply. You are right and I should have mentioned that I had tried unplugging the Playbase a couple of times and also rebooted my Wi-fi with no success. There are no IP Address contention issues as I use DHCP for everything, and it connects fine through Ethernet. My setup hasn’t changed for a few weeks since I added the Sub, and everything else connects fine still.
Also having had chance to test now the surround speakers aren’t working and I assume neither is the Sub, even though they show in the Controller App as linked (and can effect the volume).
I have now phoned through to Sonos Support and this is being dealt with.
SONOS SUPPORT: I am having the same issue. I am including a diagnostic of the situation without Ethernet connection to the playbase, 8289819, and connected, 8289831. Thank you. Please let me know how to proceed.

Please note that I have created an incident report as well, Playbase WIFI Non-functional [Incident: 171228-003812]
Badge +1
I too have now experienced the disconnect of the Playbase from my wifi. I’ve removed the surrounds and the sub, rebooted multiple times, but never appears in the app. Diagnostics is #8368154. Any help would be truly appreciated.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
What happens if you plug it into your router via Ethernet cable?
Badge +1
Haven’t been able to do that yet, since I have a 75” TV on it, and the router is upstairs. Every other Sonos product I have in the house is showing in the app.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Do you have any sonos units hooked to your router (are you using Sonosnet) or just operating wifi.

If your operating wifi only you could try plugging another sonos device into router to go Sonosnet and see if it adds back to system.
Badge +1
I am using SonosNet with one of my Play 5s in my office plugged into the router

Associated ZP: 10.0.1.52
---------------------------------
PLAY:5: Office (L)
Serial Number: 5C-AA-FD-07-22-88:5
Version: 8.4 (build 41349061)
Hardware Version: 1.13.1.7-1
Series ID: C100
IP Address: 10.0.1.53
WM: 0
PLAY:5: Office (R)
Serial Number: 5C-AA-FD-06-CC-CE:6
Hardware Version: 1.13.1.7-1
Series ID: C100
IP Address: 10.0.1.51
SUB: Office
Serial Number: 94-9F-3E-30-9C-0A:4
Hardware Version: 1.8.2.5-1
Series ID: A100
IP Address: 10.0.1.54
OTP:
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
ok great - but the Playbar downstairs won't connect.

Could be an IP address conflict. Do you know how to go into your router and assign a new permanent IP address to the playbar?
Badge +1
yes, i know how to edit the network on my Airport Utility if i know what settings to apply.