Answered

Playbase sound cutting out intermittently when playing music from iMac

Badge

My Playbase sound will start and stop when playing music from my iMac.  It does not do this when playing the TV sound or the internet radio.  My Play 1 speakers do not have this issue - its just the the Playbase.  I did turn the power off and back on for the Playbase but that has not resolved it.  Any suggestions?

icon

Best answer by Corry P 19 April 2021, 13:02

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

10 replies

Badge

I plugged in a Play 1 directly into my wifi router, however the problem continues.  I will get in touch with the technical support team.

Badge

Yes - I can connect a Play 1 (if I can find a cable).

Badge

However - its only the Playbase that is having the problem and I cannot connect an ethernet cable to that (too far away)

Userlevel 7

You only need to connect one Sonos speaker directly to your router to create a SonosNet mesh network. In this situation, it doesn’t matter which speaker.

Userlevel 7

Are you playing music to the Playbase through the Sonos Controller on your iMac or through AirPlay?

Badge

The Sonos Controller

Userlevel 7

Can you connect any of your Sonos speakers directly to your router or network with an ethernet cable?

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @Londo 

Apologies - I’ve been off for 2 weeks.

Can you please confirm that the issue is with playing music stored on your iMac only? And that playing the same tracks on your other speakers works without issue? This would not be affected by your internet connection but it could be affected by local interference, though this doesn’t seem to be the case on your system. I recommend you keep Sonosnet on channel 1, however.

If it is only the Playbase that’s affected, and only when playing from Music Library, please try connecting the Playbase to ethernet, if you can (even if only for long enough to test playback) and let me know how you get on.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @Londo 

Are you still having this problem? If the steps suggested by @GuitarSuperstar haven’t helped, I recommend you get in touch with our technical support team who have tools at their disposal that will allow them to give you advice specific to your Sonos system.

Badge

Update

Short answer - no resolution.

Long answer - we tried the following actions (to the best of my recollection - its been a few weeks now):

• Disconnecting group the Playbase is in and then reconnecting
  • unplugging the system and plugging back in
  • Plugging a Play 1 directly into wifi router
  • Updating the Sonos app on the iMac (I had the latest already on my iPhone - which is what I usually use to access Sonos)

The last technician told me to contact my internet provider, which makes no sense to me as my internet connection was/is working just fine.  They also told me the problem could be that there are so many other detectable wifi networks from my neighbors.  If that is the reason, then Sonos is basically saying their product cannot reliably work in any current urban or suburban environment.  Of course all my neighbors have their own wifi networks.  I doubt this is the issue otherwise this problem would have existed from the beginning.