Question

Playbase - Can't Connect

Hi All. Broken Playbase here...

I can't connect to my Playbase anymore. I was listening to music and then it just stopped. Now I'm unable to connect to it via the app. Have followed the following troubleshooting steps:
1) Removed Playbase from group (with 2x Play 1's) to see if it worked on its own - It didn't
2) Rebooted the App + Playbase - Still not appearing
3) Tried to connect Playbase to Router via Ethernet instead - Still not appearing
4) Factory reset the Playbase
5) Tried adding it back to my Sonos app - Would not find it
6) Tried to add it back using a direct Ethernet cable - Still would not find it

As its stands I can't even connect to it to run/submit a diagnostic - Prior to the factory reset the speaker was still working connected via optical cable from my TV but I had zero networking capability or ability to customise the sound, create a group etc... Since the factory reset its no longer working as a speaker now (presumably because its not been 'setup')

At first I figured this was a similar issue to what others have had (faulty wireless card) but mine seems to be affecting all networking, Ethernet too.

Any ideas what I can do? Its just a very expensive black box at the moment.

(Playbase bought directly from Sonos, July 2017)

15 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Hi

I suggest that you connect the Playbase again to your router and power on. Can you confirm what colour the status light is at this point? Open the Sonos App, does it connect to your system and show your other Sonos devices? If yes, please submit a diagnostic and post the number in this thread.
Hi. Playbase is flashing green ready for pairing (because I factory reset it as a last resort) but can't connect to it either wirelessly or by ethernet, therefore unable to run diagnostic either :S
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Hi. Playbase is flashing green ready for pairing (because I factory reset it as a last resort) but can't connect to it either wirelessly or by ethernet, therefore unable to run diagnostic either :S

Hi there, it sounds like the PLAYBASE is responding normally after resetting it. It's unlikely that both the wireless card and ethernet port on the PLAYBASE are both having issues. What controller are you using to add the PLAYBASE to your existing system? If you are using a desktop app, there may be a firewall setting preventing the PLAYBASE from connecting fully. You can try adjusting your computer's firewall and antivirus settings.

There might also be an issue with available network addresses. Try rebooting your router, then see if you can add the PLAYBASE. If that still doesn't work, please reply with the error you see when trying. I'd also like to see a diagnostic report from the rest of your Sonos system. Please send in a report and reply with the confirmation number.
Badge
Hi I have the same problem. I am not going to write much cos it’s the same problem. Can I just say though that for the money I spent on Sonos, I installed sonos throughout my house including the toilets, I am disappointed that although the sound is good, it’s only good when it works. Lately sounds has been dropping off and on, volume spike to high almost unpredictably, the app sometimes responds or looses connection. I am to the point where I am disappointed as it’s not a start up anymore and the products have been in the market for a period so the performance level is disappointing. Attach is picture of my diagnostic number. I cat even be bothered to write it down...shows how tired I am of it’s poor performance.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Hi I have the same problem. I am not going to write much cos it’s the same problem. Can I just say though that for the money I spent on Sonos, I installed sonos throughout my house including the toilets, I am disappointed that although the sound is good, it’s only good when it works. Lately sounds has been dropping off and on, volume spike to high almost unpredictably, the app sometimes responds or looses connection. I am to the point where I am disappointed as it’s not a start up anymore and the products have been in the market for a period so the performance level is disappointing. Attach is picture of my diagnostic number. I cat even be bothered to write it down...shows how tired I am of it’s poor performance.

Hi Zulloft,

You say that you have same issue as the first post, yet I see there is a PLAYBASE on your diagnostic report. Do you have a second PLAYBASE that does not connect? If so, please refer to the steps in this guide which should help you get it reconnected.

You also describe audio drop offs, which is a different issue than above. Audio drop offs are caused by wireless interference, network congestion, or a few other things. In your report I see that there is a high level of wireless interference making it hard for your Master Bedroom (R) unit to send all the data to your various speakers. As the wired unit, the Master Bedroom (R) is in charge of sending most of the data through your Sonos system. Is this unit close to any third party wireless devices which could be causing interference? If so, try moving those devices away and see if things improve. You can also try changing the wireless channel your Sonos system is using to reduce interference from nearby signals.
I am having similar problem with Playbase. It used to work but now it isnt connecting neither on wi-fi nor ethernet. Diagnostic 115220517
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
I am having similar problem with Playbase. It used to work but now it isnt connecting neither on wi-fi nor ethernet. Diagnostic 115220517

Hi there,

If there was an issue with the wireless card on your Playbase it would still show up when wired into your router. There's probably another issue preventing the Playbase from connecting. Please start by trying the steps in this guide. If that doesn't help, temporarily wire in the Playbase to your main router with an ethernet cable, and send a new diagnostic report along. I'll take a look for you.
Thank You. The playbase connected when i plugged ethernet cable. Now working!
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Thank You. The playbase connected when i plugged ethernet cable. Now working!

That's good to hear. Does it stay connected when the cable is removed?
No, it disappeared 😞
I’m having the same problem - the playbase just dropped off my system after working fine for well over a year. Was there update to the controller that effected the play base? It’s clearly an issue for an expensive piece of equipment.
No, it's much more likely an issue within your LAN.

Is your PLAYBASE wired to your router with an ethernet cable, or does it connect to your wifi?

I'd try unplugging the PLAYBASE from power, then rebooting your router. Once the router comes back up, plug back in the PLAYBASE, and see if it then shows up in your controller app.
Wifi - power off/ reset router as suggested and it remains hidden from my controller. Can only get it to join the network if I wire it - which isn’t really an option atm.
Sounds like it may have a bad wifi card/system. Go ahead and wire it back up, so it shows up in the controller app, then submit a system diagnostic and contact Sonos Support to discuss it. They should be able to confirm if my off-hand analysis is correct, and help you figure out how it can be dealt with.
Ok - thanks.