Answered

Playbar Volume Not Responding to TV Remote while TV is On

• 31 May 2019
  • 4 replies

Hi All - I’m having an issue with my Playbar & TV remote. The TV remote worked when I first set up the Playbar. Then it stopped working in an odd way - the TV shows that it’s registering the volume button on the remote being pressed, but the actual volume coming out of the Playbar doesn’t change. I disconnected & reconnected the playbar from the TV and the TV remote started working again. Fast forward to the next day, it’s back to not working. Any possible solutions other than disconnecting and reconnecting every time?

thanks!
icon

Best answer by buzz 1 June 2019, 03:24

I've had trouble with plasma TV's interfering with IR control of various devices, not just PLAYBAR. The level of interference depended on the picture being displayed and there was usually less interference immediately after the TV was started. "Eyelid" can be effective, but ugly. Another approach is to use a piece of black tape and experiment with the size of a hole in the tape to pass the IR. You'll need to tinker with the size of the hole because this obviously decreases the amount of IR that the sensor receives. One must make a compromise between sensitivity and interference reduction. Rather than a single piece of tape, one can use two pieces and adjust the size of the open area between the tape segments.
View original

4 replies

Hmmm. I was having a similar problem, although I'm pretty sure for different reasons. For me, it was my Harmony Remote Hub losing it's IP address periodically, which I had to fix by assigning it a reserved IP address, which resolved the issue for me.

I don't actually think disconnecting and reconnecting the PLAYBAR would actually do anything, unless possibly you unplugged it, and plugged it back in to the power. I could be wrong, but it would be extremely unusual for that to make a difference, due to the way the IR receiver works, and its non-dependency on whether there's a cable connected to a TV or not.

But that's neither here nor there, and doesn't solve your problem. So, there's a few things to think about. One, the power of the signal coming from your remote, and being read by the PLAYBAR. You may want to try the rather simple thing of replacing the batteries in your remote. When batteries reach the end of life, they can fluctuate in the amount of power they send.

You may also want to check the IR sensor on the front of your PLAYBAR, and make sure it isn't obscured/partially obscured/clean. It's on the lower right side.

Also, you didn't mention what kind of TV you have. Over the last 6 or 8 months, there have been a couple of people who have expressed an issue where their plasma TV is causing enough light interference to cause the PLAYBAR not to be able to read the IR signal properly. As I recall, a Sonos rep suggested an "eyelid" to put stick out on top of the IR receiver of the PLAYBAR, to shield it from getting light pollution from the plasma TV. I'd test this first by just putting a book balanced on top of the PLAYBAR myself, before cutting a piece of cardboard or paper, and taping it to shield the sensor, since at least for testing purposes, I'm about as lazy as they come.

And of course, there's always the "have you just tried setting up the remote again" opton in the controller? Certainly only takes time, and no money to do so, so it's an attractive attempted fix.

Hope some/any of this helps.
This is super informative, thank you! Will try all that you suggested when I get a chance later. Fingers crossed 🤞🤞. Thanks again, will post if successful or not
I've had trouble with plasma TV's interfering with IR control of various devices, not just PLAYBAR. The level of interference depended on the picture being displayed and there was usually less interference immediately after the TV was started. "Eyelid" can be effective, but ugly. Another approach is to use a piece of black tape and experiment with the size of a hole in the tape to pass the IR. You'll need to tinker with the size of the hole because this obviously decreases the amount of IR that the sensor receives. One must make a compromise between sensitivity and interference reduction. Rather than a single piece of tape, one can use two pieces and adjust the size of the open area between the tape segments.
You were right, it was the IR interference. Problem solved, thank you!