Question

Playbar TV Sound cutting out on regular basis for past few days.

• 28 January 2017
  • 56 replies

Badge
I am getting many 1/8 second cut outs of sound from Sonos speakers. This seems to have started happening at the last software update a few days ago. Lipsync is fine, this is actual cut out of the sound. Nothing has changed other than the software update. This was working fine. Digital audio cable is connected fine.

I tried turning SONOS off and used my TV internal speakers and the sound was fine, so this does look to be a problem when using SONOS system for TV shows rather than TV or cable provider.

How do I fix this?
Can I try rolling back the last software update?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

56 replies

Diagnostic # 7423721 (taken after all the below changes)

While getting the above info together I was doing some research and discovered that the Verizon FiOS STB has a hidden menu (diagnostic menu) which is accessed by:

https://forums.verizon.com/t5/Fios-TV-Technical-Assistance/IPC1100/td-p/713196

To use the diagnostics:

1. Ensure that the IPC1100 is installed with the current version of software and that it is connected to an AC outlet.

There are two methods to Access User Setting to optimize the output settings:

a. See BUI Access section (Press and Hold ‘D’ Key on IR Remote for 10 seconds, then Release Key) and select User Setting from BUI Main Menu

b. The traditional method of configuring User Settings is also supported.

- Press power and immediately press select on the remote control twice to enable diagnostic mode. This traditional Method will Power Off the application and is not recommended if diagnostic information is needed for video or session status

While DIAGNOSTIC BUI MAIN menu is up select
-02 User Settings
-ADDITIONAL HDMI SETTINGS
-AUDIO OUT

change audio output to PASS THROUGH. Make sure PASS THROUGH is selected. Then press EXIT 2x on remote. I decided to try pass through after reading this:

http://www.samsung.com/au/support/skp/faq/1049079

NEXT:

On SONY TV remote press HOME,
scroll down to SETTINGS,
select SOUND,
select DIGITAL AUDIO OUT
select AUTO 1.
Go back to SOUND MENU
select SOUND ADJUSTMENTS,
ADVANCED SETTINGS,
INPUT RELATED,
DOLBY DYNAMIC RANGE,
select STANDARD, go back
select DOLBY DIGITAL PLUS OUTPUT,
select DOLBY DIGITAL PLUS.

Close out menu.

So far no sound cut outs. What prompted me to try this was that on the STB it's says "DOLBY PLUS"... I remembered seeing that in the TV menu and wanted to try that out but couldn't find option for it in regular STB settings.

Hope this fixes things and helps others.
Userlevel 2
Badge +1
Hi cj23,

Try changing the wireless channel the 5GHz network on your router so that it is not on "auto" channel. This will make it so the player is not consistently changing channels.

If that does not reduce the audio dropouts, try changing the audio format on the TV to Stereo (PCM) to see if the dropouts continue.
Userlevel 5
Badge +2
It's a problem with the Playbar. Sonos have not yet fixed this.
Userlevel 5
Badge +10
I'm not certain what makes you suggest this bored...

I'd think ongoing cutouts of the PlayBar consistently would be mentioned far more often here if it was 'a problem with the PlayBar'... as opposed to the many people who do post, but resolve their issues, often associated with networking issues.

To the OP... I would suggest you do submit a diagnostic and post the number here so the Sonos staff can review it and get back to you.

As for a roll-back. It is my understanding that Sonos doesn't support this. So that isn't in the cards, but if the issue wasn't occurring before the update, I'm not certain that it should be occurring after and there is little posting here since the update to suggest that the update is generating a systemic problem like this....

It is the briefness of the cut-out that has me intrigued a bit. Most people's experience with audio cutouts tends to be IP address conflicts or networking challenges. You can look to eliminate IP conflicts on your network by doing a complete reboot of your network.... to do this, you'd shut down all... and I do mean all... devices that connect to your network (including computers, phones, tablets, printers, hubs, etc, etc.) shut down your router and modem if different, and then n modemuterd devices one at a time. This will force the distribution of new IP address to each device and clear up any issues from this. (You can also go into your router and assign IP addresses to devices that are typically on your network. I highly recommend doing this. Takes a bit, it worth it!).

Post back if his helps and do give Sonos you pr diagnostic # (send it while you are experiencing the issues)
I also have sound cutting out intermittently. It's been happening for months, perhaps since when I bought it 6 months ago. I use an optical connection to my Sony XBR55X850D. The cuts last anywhere from .5 second to 5 seconds. It only seems to happen when watching live TV or shows through DVR. It doesn't seem to happen during music or gaming (PS4). I have checked the cable to ensure there are no kinks and that it is properly seated. It also seems as though the software is up to date.

Any other suggestions?
Userlevel 4
Badge +2
I also have sound cutting out intermittently. It's been happening for months, perhaps since when I bought it 6 months ago. I use an optical connection to my Sony XBR55X850D. The cuts last anywhere from .5 second to 5 seconds. It only seems to happen when watching live TV or shows through DVR. It doesn't seem to happen during music or gaming (PS4). I have checked the cable to ensure there are no kinks and that it is properly seated. It also seems as though the software is up to date.

Any other suggestions?

I have the same TV as yourself albeit the UK variation and suffer from the annoying dropouts too. I've tried both Wireless setup and Ethernet direct to PlayBar, both cut out. It tends to be more prevalent to the Set Top Box but I do see it on other devices, but not as much.

The Sony TV is able to pass through DD5.1 and I believe this to be the crux of the issue. Prior to my Sony TV I had a Samsung. That didn't pass through DD5.1 so I used a cheap Toslink splitter. I never had this issue with the Samsung. After switching to the Sony I kept the splitter in place (not realising my TV could pass through DD5.1) and never had any dropouts. Upon configuring the TV to pass through I've been plagued with the issue. Therefore I'm pretty convinced it's the decoding within the TV that's causing the issue.

I've also tested this with two separate STB's, with one more troublesome than the other.

I'm thinking of returning to direct optical connectivity via the switch again, but this means more cabling and an extra power socket. Would much rather it just worked as is.
Badge
binb, what splitter do you have?
Userlevel 4
Badge +2
binb, what splitter do you have?

If you're referring to my response to binb (I don't think binb mentions a splitter?) then I used the following;
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Switcher-orToslink-Digital-Dolby-AC3-Amplifier/dp/B00KDZEWWO/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1490278374&sr=8-3&keywords=portta+toslink
Badge
AtterKing - Ye sorry was you. Do you have the splitter connected now? Do you siffer any dropouts at the moment?

What cables do i need to get with the splitter?
Userlevel 4
Badge +2
AtterKing - Ye sorry was you. Do you have the splitter connected now? Do you siffer any dropouts at the moment?

No I removed it when I realised the TV passed through DD5.1. But as I'm presented with the dropout issues I think I'll revert back.

It depends upon how many devices you want to connect. This 3 way version will allow you to connect 2 devices as the TV counts as the third. There is a 4 way version of the same box though.

You will need an optical cable for each device. PlayBar will connect to the single output on the switch, with the TV, Set Top Box and 2nd Device (Games console, Apple TV etc.) connecting to the 3 inputs. So 4 optical cables required in that scenario.
Badge

No I removed it when I realised the TV passed through DD5.1. But as I'm presented with the dropout issues I think I'll revert back.

It depends upon how many devices you want to connect. This 3 way version will allow you to connect 2 devices as the TV counts as the third. There is a 4 way version of the same box though.

You will need an optical cable for each device. PlayBar will connect to the single output on the switch, with the TV, Set Top Box and 2nd Device (Games console, Apple TV etc.) connecting to the 3 inputs. So 4 optical cables required in that scenario.

How long were you running it on the splitter with no problem?
Userlevel 4
Badge +2

A couple of months. Not one dropout.
Badge

Were you getting 5.1 from device into speakers?
Userlevel 4
Badge +2

Yes of course :)

I had to tell the STB and Xbox One to play DD via optical (easily done).

Basically with the splitter, you're connecting each individual device direct to the PlayBar. My set up includes a Harmony Ultimate remote control, so all switching to the correct input was done automatically too. In fact the more I talk about it the more I'm eager to go back to that system.
Badge

Basically with the splitter, you're connecting each individual device direct to the PlayBar. My set up includes a Harmony Ultimate remote control, so all switching to the correct input was done automatically too. In fact the more I talk about it the more I'm eager to go back to that system.

Have you switched back as yet? Any dropouts?
Userlevel 4
Badge +2

I've ordered a 4-way version of the Portta switch today. Should be with me tomorrow but may be weekend before I install it. I've been getting a lot more dropouts with my latest STB (Sky Q) and therefore really need to bypass the passthrough setup.
Badge

I've ordered a 4-way version of the Portta switch today. Should be with me tomorrow but may be weekend before I install it. I've been getting a lot more dropouts with my latest STB (Sky Q) and therefore really need to bypass the passthrough setup.

Have you tried running direct from sky box?

When i ran from my new virgin stb i had cut outs.

How does having a portta switch stop the cut outs?
Userlevel 4
Badge +2

My previous set up was direct from Sky box (and Xbox and Apple TV).

The portta switch allows direct connection from device to PlayBar (obviously). This removes the need for any conversion or processing of the signal, especially when passing through a DD5.1 signal.

But....if you've tried the direct connection between Virgin box and PlayBar and still face the same issue then obviously this solution may not be for you. Unless you've retained any settings relative to "pass through" within your TV?
Userlevel 4
Badge +2

My previous set up was direct from Sky box (and Xbox and Apple TV).

The portta switch allows direct connection from device to PlayBar (obviously). This removes the need for any conversion or processing of the signal, especially when passing through a DD5.1 signal.

But....if you've tried the direct connection between Virgin box and PlayBar and still face the same issue then obviously this solution may not be for you. Unless you've retained any settings relative to "pass through" within your TV?

Ok, so I've just installed my 4 x 1 Portta Toslink switch and all seems good so far (no dropouts after 30 mins viewing, I normally experience a few within seconds of switching Sky channels). I used a spare USB on the TV to power it. I use a Harmony Ultimate One remote and the Portta is fully compatible, so when I switch devices the Portta changes to the correct input automatically. Happy with the results so far. A great result for £15, so far.
Badge
I've got a 4 point switch but still have dropouts ??, at a loss of what to do now
Hi chrisshileds1

Can you post a Diagnostic shortly after the dropout occurs, then we can see what is going on.

Could you also confirm the source you were watching at the time and how the playbar was connected to the source.

Many thanks
Badge
Hi Matt, virgin v6 box connected to the sonos bar via an optical switch.

Diagnostic report 7345123.

Have tried switching sonos net channel etc already
Badge +1
Thanks for the diagnostic. As a cross comparison, do you have the same dropouts when watching other sources such as a DVD player or apps on your TV? Also, is this the only Virgin STB box? Or does this box communicate with main STB?
Same issue. I contacted Sonos a few months ago and and after couple hours on the phone, it was deemed a problem with Verizon FiOS STB and I would have to wait for an update from Verizon to see if problem has been resolved. I was told to switch audio on STB from Surround to Stereo output and check back in a few months. Just switch back to Surround and sound cut outs are back. Here is my layout:

TV: SONY XBR65Z9D

FiOS STB: ARRIS IPC1100 P2/1106/3740

Sonos Playbar is connected to tv with optical cable (audio quest cinnamon), TV is connected to cable box with HDMI (audio quest cinnamon). Everything was checked and is all up to date. No sound cut outs with PS4 or wireless music.
I'm also experiencing the intermittent cutting out of sound. I've submitted diagnostics, confirmation #7444713