Question

PlayBar + Surrounds & Sub Audio Repeatedly Cutting out

Userlevel 1
Badge
Just recently I was notified that my Sonos system had a software update available, so I accepted the upgrade. Ever since then I've had absolutely maddening audio problems.

My TV is a brand new 2017VIZIO SmartCast™ E-Series 65” Class Ultra HD HDR Home Theater Display w/ Chromecast built-in (E65-E1). Basically, the Playbar + 2 Play1s and a Sub have worked fine since I installed everything a month and a half ago, but after the recent Sonos software update I'll be watching TV and the audio will simply stop. It now happens as frequently as every 15 minutes.

Through a lot of trial and error, I found I can get it working again is to turn off the TV and turn it back on. I can also just unplug and replug the optic cable on the side of the playbar. The connection to the TV is an optic cable (obviously) which is definitely clean, the output is Dolby D (I've now tried all audio out options from the TV with no luck), and once again it all worked great until the Sonos software update. One other tidbit... I've also figured out that if the sound is dead and I just quickly go through "recalibrate audio" it will start working again. I'm having a hard time believing that the TV is at fault, but I'd love to hear everyone's thoughts.

Any ideas? This is in our newly remodeled home theatre room and everything has been professionally wall mounted with cable's internally run, etc. It's now be come unusable since it's so unreliable and I've reverted back to simply the TV audio. What a major pain!

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

33 replies

I have had the same issue since 7.3. Mine cuts out around 15 minutes. Were you able to resolve?
Userlevel 1
Badge
Negative. So far all I have received is instructions to try all kinds of troubleshooting (already did everything on the list prior) and a note saying if I don't respond within 48 hours the case will be closed. I have the same experience though... Cuts out usually around 15 minutes but pretty random. I also noticed however that now the audio is a little choppy. I didn't notice it earlier but when I am really close to the speakers at low volume it's very perceptible.
Thanks for the update. Just submitted my question to technical support. Not too optimistic based on your feedback.
Userlevel 1
Badge
@breezie have you tried setting the audio encoding to PCM instead of Dolby D? That seems to work for me, but the entire reason I purchased the Playbar+Play1s+SUB was for the extended audio quality of Dolby D. I'm certainly not an audio expert, but when set to PCM the audio is best described as "chaotic"... artificially deciding when to ramp up the volume on the Play1s when it believes music (like in a commercial or break in a news program comes on). IMHO it's terrible like that and I'll be returning the play 1s and sub if PCM is the only option.
Badge
I'm having the same problem since updating to 7.3. If I change the channel or access the TV menu/guide, sound resumes. I've noticed this happening when switching between Dolby 2.0 and Dolby 5.1, most notably when a commercial (Dolby 2.0) returns to the television program (Dolby 5.1). I've found no solution so far and have been in contact with tech support.
Userlevel 1
Badge
I've had no success changing channels unfortunately. Either turning the TV on/off or pulling the optic cable out and then back in is the only way.
Userlevel 1
Badge
Oh, one weird additional way to get the audio working again is to "recalibrate your room" from the mobile app... that works almost instantly, which leads me to believe this is a Sonos problem...
Yeah - mine's on Dolby 5.1 and I don't want to switch the tv to PCM. Another issue I saw is that instead of cutting out, the audio will somethings get staticy. I can revert it back to normal with the same steps taken to get audio back when it cuts off. I'm pretty sure a downgrade to 7.2 would fix it, but we all know that's not going to happen.
I'd highly recommend after it gets "staticy" you submit a system diagnostic , and post the number here, which will either help Sonos help you, or at the least provide them some additional information so that they can fix the software, although with you being the only person reporting it, it seems unlikely to be an endemic problem.
I'd highly recommend after it gets "staticy" you submit a system diagnostic , and post the number here, which will either help Sonos help you, or at the least provide them some additional information so that they can fix the software, although with you being the only person reporting it, it seems unlikely to be an endemic problem.

Diagnostic # 7626138
Thanks, now we just need for a Sonos rep to read it. May take a day or two, but it will hopefully have some information that will help them figure it out. If you're less patient, you can get in touch with them in other ways, and give them that number. You can find other methods of contact at www.sonos.com/contact
Userlevel 1
Badge
Same problem since the update. Never had a problem in the 6+ months with the system. Playbar hooked up to Sharp Aquos. Sub and Play 3's as surround. PCM fixes it though overall sound experience is degraded by doing this. Diagnostic code 7626447. Would love to go back to old version pre-update.
Userlevel 1
Badge
Ok... my frustration level is really growing over this issue and I hope someone from Sonos is really taking this seriously. Last week I was sent a followup from support saying "We have a beta version of the software that we believe might fix this issue. Please sign up for the beta program and we can test it out." 1 - I was already signed up for the beta program. 2 - I signed up again as requested. 3 - I got an email back from Sonos saying "You are approved for our beta program. Thanks for your interest, but there is no beta software / programs available for you at this time". WTF folks... more than a week into this and it doesn't look like the right hand knows what the left hand is doing.

Today I'm getting dropouts still and "crunchy audio"... audio clipping/hissing/popping that fades in and out the main playbar that goes away if I either restart the TV, quickly unplug/plug back in the optic cable, or switch from Dolby D to PCM. Judging from the responses here and a extensive amount of searching online, this is absolutely a real widespread issue with Sonos and points to a recent software update being the culprit. Can someone at Sonos please take this seriously? So far the response has been really disorganized and the product is either unusable with Dolby D or unacceptable with PCM for the price I paid. I'm giving this until the end of the week and asking for a refund if there is no progress from here or at least an acceptable path to resolution. Here is, yet again, another diagnostic: confirmation number 7639423.
I'm having the same issue since 7.3 as well.
quicktrigger, unless you submit a system diagnostic, and post the number here, for the folks at Sonos to look at, you're not liable to get a lot of help. Conversely, you could contact them in a different way, with the information for that at www.sonos.com/contact
Userlevel 1
Badge
removed
Please note, you've posted about an NDA'd beta in a public forum.
Any updates here, having the same problem since this update. Using PCM and not happy about the sound difference.
Userlevel 1
Badge
I've been working with support and it has been hit and miss. The new behavior is no "fatal cutouts" where I have to restart the TV to regain audio, but now I just get all kinds of momentary cutouts. Audio will sometimes get choppy and other times just cut out for a few seconds then come back. For those in support watching, I just uploaded diagnostic 7691191
Userlevel 1
Badge
I'm pretty much ready to throw in the towel on this issue! Countless messages back and forth to support with still no resolution in sight. I can only say that I'm on a beta release and some things have improved, but everyone is still scratching their heads. I don't know how much longer I'm going to hold out for fixes before I'll instead focus on getting my money back... everything worked fine until the GA software update and now nobody can figure out what new problem they have introduced. In the time it took me to write this posting my audio has gong from fine to choppy 3 times and audio cut out once for 3 seconds. If anyone is support is actually reading this post, my diagnostic from when this was happing about 15 minutes ago is #7698482
Having the same issue. Audio quality starts getting worse for a few minutes and then the sound just stops entirely. When I check "About Sonos" in the app it still says it's outputting DD 5.1 but there's silence from the speaker. When I simply switch to music and then back to TV it starts playing again.
Userlevel 1
Badge
I wish I had better news, but I'm still dealing with this terrible problem a month later. From what I hear, this issue is widespread and a top priority for Sonos to fix. My suggestion to anyone reading this is to get your support cases filed, call if you have to, and upload diagnostics.
Updated to 7.4 last night and was able to watch an hour of TV with no audio drops. I'll keep testing but I'm cautiously optimistic.
Userlevel 1
Badge
Just checking in again. Since my last post, I continue to have the DD 5.1 audio cutoff problems. PCM still fixes the issue but this is hardly acceptable as a permanent solution.
I think they're trying to consolidate all of these types of issues in this thread:

https://en.community.sonos.com/troubleshooting-228999/no-sound-on-certain-channels-after-system-update-today-6789926/index1.html