Answered

Playbar suddenly not playing TV audio

• 6 October 2018
  • 5 replies

Badge
I have been using my Playbar in the same setup for over a year. It was working fine this morning but in the afternoon, it suddenly would not play the TV audio. I have searched this forum and as a result I have powered off and on the Playbar, checked the optical cable and the audio settings on the (LG) TV including volume level but to no avail. I can play music from my server etc just fine - it's just the TV audio that won't play. Diagnostics: 1124006748
icon

Best answer by Edward R 19 October 2018, 10:38

Hi there, Stefan. Likewise, thanks for getting back to me. That's very thorough, thank you for trying all of that - makes our collaborative troubleshooting far more efficient.

The update may have indeed indirectly caused the issue. It is possible that a failing component has been pushed over the edge by the necessary reboot that occurs after an update is completed. I think you are most likely correct and that the PLAYBAR itself has encountered an internal failure. Does the wireless headset still emit audio? Given how thorough you've been I assume it does. If so, this rules out any issues with the settings on the television. The final thing to try is a Factory Reset on the PLAYBAR itself. Please be aware that this will necessitate the setup of the device from scratch.

If the issue still occurs after you've set the device up again, it does mean that it will need to be replaced. For this, I would urge you to get in touch with us via telephone, this way a return can be initiated. The return process is rather painless, though it would be great if this could be avoided altogether. Please do let me know how this goes.

All the best.

A note to anyone reading along: Please do not perform a Factory Reset unless expressly advised by a Sonos representative.
View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +19
Hi, User763688. You've already checked a number of things that I would have recommended. Thanks for providing the diagnostic. It showed that there was no signal being outputted by the TV, or at least that the PLAYBAR is not receiving one. Do you have another device with an optical port that we can test with the PLAYBAR? If so, please try that and let me know. Thanks!
Badge
Hello Edward,

Thanks for your quick reply. I checked the optical cable and tried a different one as well but the result was the same. I also connected the Playbar directly to my Playstation 3 and set the audio out to Optical but no sound on the Playbar.

I removed the surround and built it again but with no effect on the TV output. Music from the network plays fine though - as it always has.

I should also mention that my TV (LG OLED 55B6P) connects to a wireless headset receiver via optical cable and then the receiver, through the 'Optical through' port, connects to the Playbar. I have audio in the headset which means that the TV is putting out the signal through the optical port. To make sure there wasn't any issues with the headset receiver's 'Optical through'-port, I connected the TV directly to the Playbar but the result is the same.

At this point, I can only assume that something is wrong with the Playbar, but I have changed nothing in the setup so the only changes have been the SONOS updates. Do you think this could have caused an issue with the optical signal?

New diagnostics: 248163174

Sincerely,

Stefan
Userlevel 7
Badge +19
Hi there, Stefan. Likewise, thanks for getting back to me. That's very thorough, thank you for trying all of that - makes our collaborative troubleshooting far more efficient.

The update may have indeed indirectly caused the issue. It is possible that a failing component has been pushed over the edge by the necessary reboot that occurs after an update is completed. I think you are most likely correct and that the PLAYBAR itself has encountered an internal failure. Does the wireless headset still emit audio? Given how thorough you've been I assume it does. If so, this rules out any issues with the settings on the television. The final thing to try is a Factory Reset on the PLAYBAR itself. Please be aware that this will necessitate the setup of the device from scratch.

If the issue still occurs after you've set the device up again, it does mean that it will need to be replaced. For this, I would urge you to get in touch with us via telephone, this way a return can be initiated. The return process is rather painless, though it would be great if this could be avoided altogether. Please do let me know how this goes.

All the best.

A note to anyone reading along: Please do not perform a Factory Reset unless expressly advised by a Sonos representative.
Badge
Hi Edward,

Thanks yet again for the very quick reply. I did the factory reset and now everything is back to normal 🙂 I guess the most recent update caused the problem. Perhaps that's something you guys should investigate further as I'm probably not the only one with the issue.
Anyway, I'm happy that I can get back to enjoying movies etc. using my SONOS setup instead of the TV's inferior speaker. Thank you very much for the great support!

Sincerely,

Stefan
I’m so happy I found this thread! I’ve been trying to fix my playbar for a week now. I thought it was broken or the new LG OLED Tv was at fault. It was that update all along that gave me an issue. Factory reset worked perfectly. Sonos staff please make more people aware of this problem. Is there any updates on when a new update will fix current bug?