Question

Playbar/sub/surround combo works only when sub is plugged to the Ethernet

• 26 December 2016
  • 1 reply

I am able to set up a pair of Play:1's to work with the sub via wi-fi. I am also able to set up all 4 (Soundbar, Play:1's and the sub) if the sub is plugged into the Ethernet. However, every time I try to get all 4 to work over wi-fi, I always get stuck on "Preparing the speakers in this room to work together" step, that just shows the loader for some time and then shows the error message "Setup problem. Please check your network connection or the power on your speakers in this room".

I've tried:
- resetting the controller
- factory reset on all speakers
- setting up while powering up speakers one at a time
- setting up after powering speakers all at the same time
- resetting the router
- moving all devices except for Sonos on a different wi-fi network, so that it has a dedicated network on 2.4GH
- setting up using Android app
- setting up using Mac app

I think I've tried everything I can possibly try. The fact that I can get the Soundbar to work on its own and Play:1's+Sub to play on their own via wi-fi makes me confident that the network is not the issue. Is something wrong with the Soundbar?

When the sub is plugged into the router, everything works perfectly. I love the sound. I would even consider keeping it but the problem is, there is no Ethernet outlet anywhere near the TV, so I would have to run the cable across the whole room, which is very disappointing, considering it's supposed to be wireless.

What else can I try?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

1 reply

Userlevel 7
Badge +20
I am able to set up a pair of Play:1's to work with the sub via wi-fi. I am also able to set up all 4 (Soundbar, Play:1's and the sub) if the sub is plugged into the Ethernet. However, every time I try to get all 4 to work over wi-fi, I always get stuck on "Preparing the speakers in this room to work together" step, that just shows the loader for some time and then shows the error message "Setup problem. Please check your network connection or the power on your speakers in this room".

I've tried:
- resetting the controller
- factory reset on all speakers
- setting up while powering up speakers one at a time
- setting up after powering speakers all at the same time
- resetting the router
- moving all devices except for Sonos on a different wi-fi network, so that it has a dedicated network on 2.4GH
- setting up using Android app
- setting up using Mac app

I think I've tried everything I can possibly try. The fact that I can get the Soundbar to work on its own and Play:1's+Sub to play on their own via wi-fi makes me confident that the network is not the issue. Is something wrong with the Soundbar?

When the sub is plugged into the router, everything works perfectly. I love the sound. I would even consider keeping it but the problem is, there is no Ethernet outlet anywhere near the TV, so I would have to run the cable across the whole room, which is very disappointing, considering it's supposed to be wireless.

What else can I try?

Hi TatianaC,

I'd like to see a diagnostic report from your system to understand why this happens. Please submit a report and reply with the confirmation number.