Answered

Playbar stopped outputting TV

• 6 January 2022
  • 6 replies

Badge +2

I was watching TV when suddenly the Playbar stopped working. I can play music through my Playbar via the Sonos app, but am getting no sound from the tv. Oddly enough, when I use the volume controls on my remote (Harmony One), volume down button registers (white light) with the Playbar, but not volume up. Any ideas what the problem is?

Thanks in advance. 

icon

Best answer by UKMedia 6 January 2022, 12:39

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

Userlevel 7

Try unplugging the TV and Playbar from power for a couple of minutes. You might also try using a different optical cable.

Badge +2

Try unplugging the TV and Playbar from power for a couple of minutes. You might also try using a different optical cable.

Thanks, but didn’t change anything. I unplugged the optical cable from the HDMI splitter that I use, and plugged it directly into my set top box, and now it’s working. 

Does this mean there’s an issue with the optical port on my HDMI splitter?

Userlevel 7

Thanks, but didn’t change anything. I unplugged the optical cable from the HDMI splitter that I use, and plugged it directly into my set top box, and now it’s working. 

Does this mean there’s an issue with the optical port on my HDMI splitter?

Sounds like you need a new HDMI splitter.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

I wonder if this is a HDCP handshake issue.  If your TV doesn’t get a correct HDCP handshake with all of the connected devices, it will immediately mute audio output.

I suggest that you power down your TV, Splitter and Set Top box and then power on in the following order:

• TV
  • HDMI Splitter
  • Set top box

EDIT:

This could also be caused by a fault with the HDMI splitter as @GuitarSuperstar suggests but worth a quick power down to check.

Badge +2

I wonder if this is a HDCP handshake issue.  If your TV doesn’t get a correct HDCP handshake with all of the connected devices, it will immediately mute audio output.

I suggest that you power down your TV, Splitter and Set Top box and then power on in the following order:

• TV
  • HDMI Splitter
  • Set top box

This seems to have worked!  Thank you!  What do you mean by HDCP handshake issue?

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

• TV
  • HDMI Splitter
  • Set top box

This seems to have worked!  Thank you!  What do you mean by HDCP handshake issue?

Here’s a link to an explanation: High-bandwidth Digital Content Protection - Wikipedia