Playbar sounds cuts intermittently out when playing TV

Userlevel 1
Playbar sounds drops intermittently when playing TV audio. Does not happen when playing other sources. Happens every few minutes, but is not consistent. Playbar is connected wirelessly to a bridge. Also connected is a sub.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

369 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +2
New dish receiver vip722k 4-1-16 did not fix problem still audio drop outs I was not surprised. Sonos soundbar does not work with probably all sat receivers, again great for music, but by no means what so ever should lay claim that it is even close to even basic 5.1 dolby capable This soundbar is basically stereo pcm, granted sonos stereo from soundbar in most cases is probably better than your tv speakers. This in my opinion should be disclosed at time of purchase. I am quite sure all sonos reps are aware of this problem. They are their to put out fires for which they have no solution. Once again shame on Sonos for misleading thousands of customers and taking their hard earned money. Stop now Sonos with the lies no optical switch fixes the problem. No hdmi extractor fixes the problem, No new high speed hdmi cable fixes the problem, again future customers save your hard earned money. This problem could have been resolved probably for 30 to 40 dollars when the soundbar was designed. What a shame!
Userlevel 5
Badge +2
Does anybody know when sonos soundbar owners are going to be compensated for the fact that 5.1 dolby cannot be processed properly from any source without audio dropouts and if not we need to get this going as I see no fix on their part. Everybody needs to realize that those who purchased sonos sound bar for tv have been very misled by false advertising on sonos part.
Userlevel 3
Badge
Does anybody know when sonos soundbar owners are going to be compensated for the fact that 5.1 dolby cannot be processed properly from any source without audio dropouts and if not we need to get this going as I see no fix on their part. Everybody needs to realize that those who purchased sonos sound bar for tv have been very misled by false advertising on sonos part.

I, too, am bitterly disappointed by this. I've persuaded friends, colleagues and family to set up their own Sonos systems, and now feel guilty knowing that any problems they'll have with them will be met with near-worthless support from Sonos and a complete lack of transparency on what the problem is and what their strategy is to fix it. What a huge sum of money to waste on what is now basically a Dolby Pro Logic system, as the only workaround is to revert to stereo PCM. Whichever level of management is owning this and blatantly trying to cover it up, should be ashamed of themselves. Loyal, paying customers deserve respect and deserve an answer.
Userlevel 3
Badge
It looks like your support ticket is still in process. Please reply to the email our technician sent you letting them know the current status.

Jeff S, the update on the ticket just asks for another diagnostic. Can you see why this might be getting tiresome and undermining our confidence in the Sonos brand?
Userlevel 3
Badge
Troubleshooting is an iterative process. Diagnostics allow our technicians to understand what's going on behind the scenes of your Sonos system. If you're interested in getting your system working, the best way to do so is to work with our support team.

Absolutely, and I'll continue playing this game, but submitting diagnostics again and again after no fix has been attempted ... surely that's just a waste of time? I'm a Senior DBA at a FTSE 100 company in the UK, by the way, so quite familiar with the notion of troubleshooting, thanks.
Userlevel 5
Badge +2
Christopher_43 there is no fix I believe sonos knows this by know or it would have happened by know we have all just made a costly mistake in my opinion, its been two years, they can,t fix it and don,t care in my opinion. These sonos techs are there just to pacify us. I too have tried everything have tv that outputs 5.1 optical all new cables twice new sat top box changed every setting dozens of times on three devices to know avail was originally told my dish receiver was switching back and forth between pcm and 5.1 by sonos tech that was,t it.There simple soundbar has turned into a nightmare for thousands of customers. If you like stereo it will do that but thats not why I purchased a $750 soundbar well the upside is will it will play a little music but not designed for video.
Userlevel 2
2 years ongoing. Over 31,000 views. Continued dodging by Sonos. I will tell you what's going on.

I'm shocked at how this has been a known issue for over 2 years and Sonos keeps acting like people are doing something wrong or using bad settings or source devices. The issue is that Dolby Digital Plus is now a common audio standard in cable boxes, apps, and other hardware. Sonos has a fatal design flaw by only having an optical audio input. The Dolby Digital Plus stream won't fit down an optical audio pipe, only HDMI, so there will be no fix for this issue on current Sonos hardware. Sonos refuses to acknowledge this officially as it would drastically affect sales and make them liable for costly returns and refunds.

http://www.dummies.com/how-to/content/dolby-digital-plus-surround-sound.html

The problem occurs when viewing content encoded in Dolby Digital Plus and is intermittent because only when the bitstream exceeds the bandwidth limitations of Toslink optical audio will the sound drop out. Loud sounds, complex surround portions, lots of music or effects, etc. Sometimes it will drop out for apparently no reason at all, likely because the encoding of even simple content was chosen to be done at a higher bit rate.

Fortunately, I only bought my system yesterday at Best Buy and can return it for a full refund. It took me 10 minutes to find the answer in a Google search, an answer that Sonos still refuses to mention in these forums or their online documentation.
Userlevel 5
Badge +2
Steaming music is all its good for sonos stop the bull tell the customers the truth and their are hundreds if not thousands of complaints. Does this not register with your company that you are seriously misleading customers that this company claims this is capable of playing anything except stereo for video accurately. Enough is Enough.
Userlevel 5
Badge +2
unplugged modem no wireless in my home at all while playing 5.1 digital from sonos sound bar directly from my sony bravia with 5.1 digital optical out, still audio drop outs so blaming wireless network in all these previous cases is out the window and yes I know it was playing 5.1 when I turned all internet off
Userlevel 5
Badge +2
yes talked to sonos twice blamed it on dish network receiver 722k have tried two new ones same problem audio drop outs they say 5.1 signal from dish has errors but now drop outs on pcm as well many new optical cables and hdmi cables and good ones also I believe soundbar has a flaw with hdmi period music is great but thats it just not suited for video in my opinion and should not be advertised as such that is what I honestly believe and I don't care what they say they are just blowing smoke and they are just here to pacify the customers. They are more music oriented and want people with video problems to just go away or some of these hundreds of complaints would be solved or never have occurred in the first place it should be more of the plug and play variety. Have sony bravia 850C 4K television if that helps anybody less than 8 weeks old and does send 5.1 dolby digital from optical out. $100 dollar best you can buy hdmi cable. Good luck on a solution.
Userlevel 5
Badge +2
Hundreds if not thousands of complaints with the video aspects you to must be someone who can't count or part of the cult its a terrible shame to late for me to get a refund they will not take it back and they have no solution I would draw you a picture but don't have the software to do so.
Userlevel 5
Badge +2
You can sprinkle your pro sonos attitude all over this forum and others but you like sonos has no solutions that work, that is quite clear. Oh by the way it will stream music right?
Wow. Three yeas and people still have this? Guess what I do too. Diags 6154658. I even came out the beta program and still does it. I have removed and replaced e erythema. Still does it.

Cannot believe a great company cannot fix it.
Userlevel 1
Badge +3
I have the same problem with intermittent sound drop when watching tv. Not to mention other software issues when attempting to play music. I am not adding any more Sonos components until they fix all of there software problems. I hope it doesn't have to wait until they get competition to do so.
Userlevel 5
Badge +2
1. Sonos buy your own equipment, meaning set top boxes. 2. Buy your own televisions to use for testing. 3.Don't expect thousands of customers to do your dirty work. 4. Make sure a product performs as advertised before you bring it to market. 5. ITS NOT COMPLICATED! Call your senior people and ask for assistance at the top of the company to solve all future problems.
Userlevel 4
Badge +1
I have a Samsung 65UHD9000 and bought a Sonos playbar and sub with it. I am having this same issue and I am a bit annoyed that these posts have been going on for months and still has not been fixed.
I have a suggestion. Get a smart tv (try a Samsung or LG, two of the leading brands), connect it to a Playbar and try watching a netflix 5.1 film. The problem is easily reproducible. Assuming you buy a tv that outputs 5.1 via optical..... But then you'd know that. Please, Sonos, any one of us can make the dropouts happen within 30 mins or less. There is no magic at work here. You can do it to as suggested above. In my call logs I've even provided names of shows/films which will 'happily' make the dropout occur; The Shield, for example. I'm not going to talk further with a senior technician. I'm not going to be an unpaid tester either (although I joined the beta programme in the forlorn hope of a quick fix). I respectfully suggest you test the Playbar yourselves and experience the dropouts first-hand; you can then do all the diagnostics you want and make yourselves giddy with system logs. I and the others just want this fixed, please. My wife and I spent a tidy sum on this system and she *still* glares at me when we get dropouts and I'm forced to use the manual optical switch. I await the announcement of a fix, be it software or an apologetic letter along with a free, automated optical switch.
Userlevel 3
Why don't we just draw a line here and realize that the PB simply does not work with modern broadcasting and streaming services. I'm sure we will know when it works, SONOS will tell us by releasing new hardware that makes it work. OK?

:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
Could the dropouts be a result of incorrect converting from DD+ to DD?

My PS3 (which I use most of the time now) seems to have no problem at all converting Netflix 5.1 from DD+ to DD. Getting no dropouts at all.

When connecting the Playbar to my Samsung Series 7 (7005) TV on the other hand, there's dropouts occurring frequently.

Seriously suspecting my TV as of now.

I have a 2015 Samsung JU7100 TV that is having audio dropouts when connected directly to my Sonos Playbar.  I'd tried all sorts of things, bought a Boost, bought a new cordless phone etc...  Still it persisted and is maddening.

Two days ago I decided to grab my old Denon receiver (it is a 2008 model 4308ci) that has 4 optical ins/2 optical outs and hooked the TV to one of the in ports on the Denon and ran one of the outs from the Denon to the Sonos.  I have the Denon configured to just pass through the Dolby Digital 5.1 from the TV or if it senses only 2 channels of audio it will then output a pseudo 5.1 as well.   I've verified on the Sonos app that almost everything being passed through is Dolby Digital 5.1.  Zero dropouts from that point forward.   So it seems to me like the Sonos is not playing nice with whatever the Samsung is delivering to it over optical at times.  

Since I don't want to deal with the amount of electricity that receiver consumes I've ordered a simple optical switch ( http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00G188Z7A?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00 ) to see if I can get the same effect without the receiver.    I won't get the benefit of the pseudo 5.1 that my Denon can output if the TV is only outputting 2 channels but if it stops the audio issues I can live with that happily.

Follow up:
Well, no dice, the item I ordered from Amazon doesn't help the issue.  The Denon must be transcoding the audio in some way so I guess I'm stuck with it.  I am really regretting buying the Sonos Playbar, Subwoofer and 2 x Play 1s at this point.
Also have the same issue. Happens on all sources, DVR, AppleTV both connected to Samsung JU7100 via HDMI and optical from TV to Playbar. No sound drop out issues when playing music directly from the Sonos App, just when watching a video source. Replaced the optical cable and no improvement. The drop outs are completely random as well, may go a few hours with no drop outs and other times have a few every 30 min.

It sounds like my options are to turn off surround sound then. Good use of my money.
Three words will resolve the issue, Class Action Lawsuit
Userlevel 1
Ditto... Ticket # 160206-000152. Having exactly the same issues with sound dropping out. Did most of what has been suggested here, My Sonos Playbar hard wired, optical out from TV, ran diagnostics, tested with various devices, no significant positive results. Now testing audio with no compression. Tonight no noticeable sound issues with Netflix over 3 hours of viewing. Sonos has some issues with compression, hardware in the optical port, software timing issues, or all the above. I am having a difficult time as to why Sonos engineers cannot determine the cause, or they know the cause and the fix is very costly. Either way this issue is more then annoying. Will update on my compression tests.
Badge
Having same issues here with my playbar and Samsung UE55JS9000 ... intermittent sound drop outs when viewing from a Sky HD box. Playbar is hard wired, optical out from TV. Advised by Sonos support to change TV audio HDMI setting from Bitstream to PCM then see how it goes. This is really annoying on a Sonos 5.1 system I've paid £1500 for
Userlevel 5
Badge +2
I have a Samsung 65UHD9000 and bought a Sonos playbar and sub with it. I am having this same issue and I am a bit annoyed that these posts have been going on for months and still has not been fixed.
Ryan, care to elucidate on the software decoding issue please? As I and others have said, it's been many moons since this issue was raised and numerous diagnostics sent off. We've had nothing of consequence in return but you're saying that "the issues have been solved as... " etc. I can assure you, my issue was not resolved, other than by employing the use of a third party optical switch. Are you in a position to acknowledge there is a problem and that the only way to resolve it is via a switch? (Let's assume we all know when we have an optical cable or port issue, and this isn't it. The software decoding issue you allude to sounds more reasonable in my and many other cases.) I get the impression that fixing this isn't an easy software upgrade otherwise it would have been done. It's about 7 months now, since this problem was raised... and I still maintain that Sonos should provide an optical switch free of charge to anyone who has this problem.
Userlevel 5
Badge +2
Optical switch will work if your optical out port on your television does not support dolby digital 5.1 but this is by no means a fix, still audio drop outs just to be clear I have new sony bravia 4K television that does support 5.1 optical out still audio drop outs, nothing has changed.
Userlevel 5
Badge +2
Sonos techs and agents are just fishing, putting the blame everywhere else just to keep calm all the suckers like me who have purchased a 700 dollar soundbar that does not work as advertised. Kind of unbelievable they keep selling these knowing they definitely have a serious problem on their hands. It is very clear in my opinion that sonos agents have been schooled very well by the company on what to say to keep everybody calm. Its quite a shame.