Playbar sounds cuts intermittently out when playing TV

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

369 replies

Ryan, just had 3 in 10 minutes, 3944445. Hope you can help me out.
I am new to this thread and as frustrated as everyone else.  After dropping $2K on a Sonos surround system, I am enjoying audio dropouts.  I love Sonos equipment, own many other pieces around my home.

I have used two switches, the Monoprice and the Octava.  Dropouts occur every 20 minutes or so during live sports.  I can also hear more minor hiccups in the audio.  5.1 did not fix it.

I am running a DirecTV H24 into the Octava via HDMI then optical to the Sonos.  Didn't notice any issues in Stereo, just surround.  I have a Playbar on another TV, but it is Stereo only and works flawlessly.

As I posted in another thread, it looks like I'm stuck selling the Sonos equipment and taking the loss. Real bummer.  Sonos has a way to go to supporting home theater.
I too have had this issue for almost 5 months now what steps do I take? Call log a ticket?
I have a similar problem, but it's with streaming music. The Playbar itself flutters (attenuates) in response to heavy bass notes. I do not have surrounds connected. Anybody else experiencing this? It's unlistenable unless I turn the bass all the way down, and then it's unlistenable due to poor SQ. Multiple diagnostics sent in, no help.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
I spoke to someone on Sunday and now have an appointment to speak with some sort of Tier 2 technician. The Samsung TVs have been updated to 1460, and the fixes from 1455 have apparently been lost.

I've seen that a few times around the community too. It seems to affect some but not all, so the team is trying to gather more information to send to Samsung on this. Thanks for working with us!
Sound cuts out for maybe a second or less each time.
I had the exact same problem with my Playbar connected to my Samsung Smart TV. Drove me nuts, especially when watching music programs. BUT
SOLVED IT.

Went into the settings of the TV: Sound - Advanced settings. There I found a setting called 'Dolby Digital comp' (comp meaning compression). The setting had two options: 'Line' and 'RF'. 'RF' was bookmarked. Changed it to 'Line'. 

No more dropouts. Have no idea what the setting does, but it worked.

If your TV has a similar setting: give it a try.
[quote=Ryan S]This thread is 2 years old, but the issue described could be caused but a wide number of troubles.
Two years old and the issue is still there. Not one of confidence in Sonos products. Im sorry , But I am saving up for the Bose one.
Great article Nik. For those who live outside US like me, you can access Netflix, Hulu and similar media stations on your LG Smart TV by using UnoTelly or similar tools.
I also have the same dropout audio issue when watching NETFLIX Smart hub app (Samsung f7500 TV series). I have tried both PCM and Dolby Digital options on the TV (external audio configuration)
Hi Ryan S,

I have the same problem with my Sony TV but only when watching Sky Q in the uk. I have sent through my diagnostics ref: 6774045

Any help would be appreciated.
Same here with a Samsung UE40F6510 2013 model Smart TV. Playbar worked fine for a couple of months, but then the dropouts and sometimes ticking started.

However, my TV Set Top Box also has an Optical Out, so I had the Playbar connected to that one for a few days. Guess what? Besides the sound being a wee bit early compared with the picture (which is understandable cuz it wasn't being processed through the TV) not a single dropout occurred. So through elimination I think the problem lies with the TV and not the Playbar.

It might have something to do with Samsung Firmware updates, but Samsung insisted that there are no known problems. Right. Anyway, they did a remote connect to go through the same screens I already did about a hundred times and now they're sending someone over to replace some audio part.

I'm not holding my breath cuz I still think it's the telly's software, not hardware. Wouldn't it be about time for Sonos to contact Samsung over their optical audio out problems? Or at least test it for themselves with a Samsung Smart TV? They're not that expensive, you know.

BTW I only got the Playbar to improve the sound from the TV which is PCM. As I said, it worked fine in the beginning and I was happy. I won't be buying a Sub or Play 1's for surround soon though, given the PCM limitations with the current setup.

OK, the under warranty repair guy came today and replaced my Samsung TV's Motherboard. Result: Playbar works as advertised again. Me happy!
Hi Ryan S,

I have the same problem with my Samsung Smart TV. I have this on all channels that i watch.
I have sent through my diagnostics ref: 6785801

Any help would be appreciated.
Same here with a Samsung UE40F6510 2013 model Smart TV. Playbar worked fine for a couple of months, but then the dropouts and sometimes ticking started.

However, my TV Set Top Box also has an Optical Out, so I had the Playbar connected to that one for a few days. Guess what? Besides the sound being a wee bit early compared with the picture (which is understandable cuz it wasn't being processed through the TV) not a single dropout occurred. So through elimination I think the problem lies with the TV and not the Playbar.

It might have something to do with Samsung Firmware updates, but Samsung insisted that there are no known problems. Right. Anyway, they did a remote connect to go through the same screens I already did about a hundred times and now they're sending someone over to replace some audio part.

I'm not holding my breath cuz I still think it's the telly's software, not hardware. Wouldn't it be about time for Sonos to contact Samsung over their optical audio out problems? Or at least test it for themselves with a Samsung Smart TV? They're not that expensive, you know.

BTW I only got the Playbar to improve the sound from the TV which is PCM. As I said, it worked fine in the beginning and I was happy. I won't be buying a Sub or Play 1's for surround soon though, given the PCM limitations with the current setup.

It's getting interesting... I do have a subscription to Film1 here in my cable package, so I put on a movie. Then on its info page I could change the sound track from standard to Dolby Digital and yes, I can clearly hear a difference. The Playbar obviously has no problems with this, but when I look at the About Sonos the Playbar gives Unsupported. So there is a change (I cannot confirm that what the cable company calls Dolby Digital actually is the real thing or some propriety version) but Sonos doesn't say 5.1, but unsupported instead. Sounds better though, even on just the Playbar.

I'll try to do some more testing and let my better half have a listen too, but if this is (or comes close) to the real thing I might keep an eye on Amazon for festive season Sonos offers.
I am having this same issue with a Samsung KS9000 65 inch tv.
I also experienced irregular dropouts using the Playbar with a Samsung H7000 Series TV (UE40H7080). As it turned out, the dropouts also occurred when the TV was connected to an A/V Receiver, the audio interruptions are just much shorter and therefore not that obvious. It seems the Playbar takes longer to re-sync with the audio stream. So at least in my case, the dropouts were not caused by the Playbar. The TV was then serviced twice, each taking weeks, which didn't resolve the issue. Finally, the TV was replaced with a new set and the dropouts are now gone. It was very frustrating support from Samsung (and my dealer). On the other hand, Sonos support was prompt and helpful.
Badge +1
I am having this issue on my Sony 930c. The Optical Cable is plugged directly from the Sonos to the TV. The audio randomly drops out for 1 second then comes back.
I also experienced irregular dropouts using the Playbar with a Samsung H7000 Series TV (UE40H7080). As it turned out, the dropouts also occurred when the TV was connected to an A/V Receiver, the audio interruptions are just much shorter and therefore not that obvious. It seems the Playbar takes longer to re-sync with the audio stream. So at least in my case, the dropouts were not caused by the Playbar. The TV was then serviced twice, each taking weeks, which didn't resolve the issue. Finally, the TV was replaced with a new set and the dropouts are now gone. It was very frustrating support from Samsung (and my dealer). On the other hand, Sonos support was prompt and helpful.
I'm quite happy with Samsung's service. They sourced the repairs out, but the service was good. Replacing the mainboard was done within 10 minutes. Still, compared with the old days the guy has quite a boaring job IMO. When the TV is opened up there's only two parts to replace, the main board and the power board. That's about it. Anyway, it's still working fine and I hope it stays that way. Worth the hassle I think.
Having the same issue here with my new Samsong KS9000 TV and the Sonos PlayBar.

The Netflix and Hulu apps on the Samsung TV seem to create the most dropouts. It will happen on my PS4 Pro as well as some cable channels coming from my Comcast X1 box.

The Sonos is connected via Optical Cable from the TV directly to the PlayBar.

I've tried setting my TV to PCM audio which seems to help a lot, but the audio will stop drop every now and then in the Samsung TV apps. Haven't experienced it with PCM using my PS4 Pro.

I really do love the soundbar and I'd hate to return it for something like this. I'm okay using PCM mode, but I feel I won't be getting as good audio using that setting. Is there any hope for us having this problem?
This happens to me too.  New Playbar & Sub.  I have a Playstation 3, Apple TV, DirecTV Genie HR34-700, and Chromecast all hooked up via HDMI to a Vizio E700i-B3.  The Vizio optical out is hooked up to the Playbar.  The optical cable is not kinked and is firmly inserted into both the TV & Playbar.  I get the dropouts for 1-3 seconds.  Sometimes it happens every few minutes, sometimes I will watch for several hours without dropouts.

I really like the Sonos apps & features, but this is unacceptable for a $1400+ soundbar system.
Badge
Diagnostic submitted 6896663 , same problem as others, been ongoing for a while. My wife is gonna smash this playbar if I don't get it working properly, real soon!
This happens to me too.  New Playbar & Sub.  I have a Playstation 3, Apple TV, DirecTV Genie HR34-700, and Chromecast all hooked up via HDMI to a Vizio E700i-B3.  The Vizio optical out is hooked up to the Playbar.  The optical cable is not kinked and is firmly inserted into both the TV & Playbar.  I get the dropouts for 1-3 seconds.  Sometimes it happens every few minutes, sometimes I will watch for several hours without dropouts.

I really like the Sonos apps & features, but this is unacceptable for a $1400+ soundbar system.

I submitted diagnostics through the Android app. confirmation number 4182587
Same issue here with my Philips tv.. if i connect my playbar to the popcorn hour a400 all is fine
I'm still getting occasional dropouts.  I have the Samsung connected to an HD antennae (no cable box).  My Sonos controller says the TV audio input is: Dolby Digital 2.0.  (I don't see any option on my TV to change audio settings, assuming that would help.)  Suggestions please.
I've literally just had this start happening. Connected via optical cable to Samsung Smart TV. Diagnostic 6958271
Badge
Sound cuts out for maybe a second or less each time.
Tried this, but it did not solve my audio dropouts.
Same problem for me with LG TV and mainly watching Sky Q.