Playbar sounds cuts intermittently out when playing TV

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

369 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +3
Diagnostics Confirmation # 6151773
Userlevel 1
Badge +3
Jeff, I appreciate you trying to help but the support staff has been working on my issue for some time. I have four televisions in my house all connected with Fios set top boxes. The intermittent sound drop only happens on the television with the Soundbar connected, and only when I am watching HD broadcast. If I am watching a non HD broadcast or a movie on Netflix there is no sound drop.
Userlevel 3
Badge
I just bought a Samsung TV with the Playbar and had the Geek Squad connect everything up for me.
I'm having the same drop out issues while watching cable. It doesn't happen when I stream music or watch youtube, only when watching TV.
Can someone please help me. I see that this issue has been going on for quite some time.
+1 

I'm sending DD 5.1 to the Playbar via an HDMI/Tos switch and depending on the content I'm experiencing the same 2-3 second audio drop outs.

I have to agree with Paul above - I just bought the Playbar because I wanted an easy surround solution that could stream music - but it's starting to be more trouble than it's worth. The only thing is that when the playbar is receiving true DD 5.1 it sounds pretty awesome - way better than many other soundbars I've owned and heard. It just seems like a waste that Sonos has made it so difficult to get it since almost no TVs actually pass DD 5.1 through their optical out.

I actually submitted an email ticket #140605-000135

Should I also call?
+1 
OK - Thanks
I've posted this problem on 2 forums but no solution yet.

Connected my UPC(cable)-box (5.1) through CYP AU-D41 into the Playbar and getting completely random fractional sound dropouts. When connected throught the TV first there are no dropouts but then I don't have real 5.1 sound. (no problems with my Bluray player btw)

It's not too big a problem but I just want to get the most out of the Sonos-system, so that means 5.1 sound when watching TV as well.

Looks like Sonos can't handle the input, but it might as well be a problem with the cablebox (?)

I had the same sound drop and here’s how I solved the problem. I have the main DVR/Cable box connected to TV via HDMI and play bar to TV via optical. I also have three other satellite cable boxes (w DVR access) in use, so I swapped out the main DVR/cable box with a satellite box and no more sound drops.
Any updates? 
Userlevel 1
Badge +3
I have the same problem with intermittent sound drop when watching tv. Not to mention other software issues when attempting to play music. I am not adding any more Sonos components until they fix all of there software problems. I hope it doesn't have to wait until they get competition to do so.

Hi Hrdnox,

Please send in a diagnostic report and reply here with the confirmation number. We'll create a support ticket for you and get you in touch with our phone team who can help. Here's how to submit reports.

Jeff, I've submitted a diagnostic. I've read many of the post on this topic and support has been unable to resolve this issue.

HI Hrdnox,

Please reply with the confirmation number.

Well, I have to admit that I was a bit frustrated with Sonos support and probably was too quick to dismiss buying any more Sonos products. I eventually got a more experienced Sonos tech who was very helpful and was able to eliminate the intermittent sound drop when watching tv. I have since purchased their Subwoofer to compliment my two Play 5's and Soundbar. What an awesome sound.....I give it and Sonos ★★★★★.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
I have a Samsung 65UHD9000 and bought a Sonos playbar and sub with it. I am having this same issue and I am a bit annoyed that these posts have been going on for months and still has not been fixed.
Hi User678029,

We're working very closely with our customers having cutouts on PLAYBARs. The issues have been solved as problems ranging from optical cables, output ports and software decoding issues. We would like to see any systems which are having this issue live so we can assist getting this resolved fastest.

Can you please give us a call on our Customer Care Line and work live with a technician?

Thanks
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
I have a Samsung 65UHD9000 and bought a Sonos playbar and sub with it. I am having this same issue and I am a bit annoyed that these posts have been going on for months and still has not been fixed.
Sorry, let me clarify a bit. The problems we've seen so far have on the large been unrelated issues which look like similar problems. Audio cutting out can be caused by a number of circumstances and we're working very closely with each and every case we can here to identify if there might be a common cause, or even a trend that can be rooted out. 

@User740479, It looks like your case was escalated to our Senior Team and they tried setting up an appointment to give you a call but didn't hear anything. If you're still having trouble with your setup I'll reopen case 140405-001230 for you. If you still have the email from the technician, can you reply back and let him know when you're best available? 
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
It’s very important to get precise, reliable data which is reproducible when looking into a potential issue. We are looking into this and will be updating everyone when once we have a resolution or update to share. At this time, we’re still trying to gather the best data possible to help with all stages of the process.

I'll leave your incident open and update the senior technician who is working with it.
Userlevel 4
Badge +1
I should add that The Shield on Netflix isn't even 5.1 but Dolby Stereo and STILL has dropouts.
Userlevel 1
I hard wired the play at and so far no cut outs... But have only played one movie. Curious to know if that solved the problem for anyone else.
Userlevel 1
You're right. It did not solve the problem. I guess I will have to call customer support about a BRAND NEW piece of junk product.
Userlevel 1
Thanks! I already updated to the new beta but still same issue.
Userlevel 1
I updated and still have the same problem, but now also have it with my cable.  I tried calling support to open a case like everyone else (assuming there will be no resolution just like everyone else) but, unfortunately, I work long hours and I'm on West coast time, so I hope at some point I will be able to reach them.
Hello I too am experiencing this issue, it has been fine for 10 mths until now. I have been watching sky sports 2 and dropouts occurred during the live cricket. I need this issue to be fixed. Paul
I experience the same dropouts (a few times an hour, for about 1s) with my new Samsung UE40H7000 TV from different sources (DVB-C Tuner, HDMI) that carry a Dolby Digital audio stream. 
Hi Ryan, Talked to support today and was told Sonos doesn't support 'third party' boxes, just televisions so they couldn't do anything for me. Also splitters are not supported. Anyway, they couldn't or wouldn't run a diagnostics check. Shame, guess I have to watch tv without 5.1 for the time being. The threads about this problem are getting longer so hopefully a solution is coming. Could you at least tell me if Sonos is looking into this problem? Thanks. Dirk
Userlevel 5
Badge +2
media box errors right Mr sonos staff problem solved heres the standard reply the soundbar will only play what it receives if you have audio drop outs switch to pcm, bull. How about looking into software issues with the soundbar because there are very few electronic devices the soundbar will play correctly. Sonos advertising very, very misleading. Once again shame on Sonos.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Dirk, can you please https://sonos.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/142 for me when you've had some cutouts and reply back with your confirmation number? 
Userlevel 1
Hi Ryan, I've had this issue since last November. I patiently captured (recorded) many dropouts using a diagnostic program provided by SONOS. I've been following up to find out when fix is coming but am told, continually, it's being worked on. It appears to be a long standing, long running problem which is proving to be frustrating to me and many other customers. My incident number is 131102-000637. Appreciate your feedback, thanks, Julian
I just got a new LG TV and I'm having this same cut-out. It seems that whenever there is a pause in audio (like when I fast forward on TiVo, or there is a glitch in the signal), there is an audio renogitiation and it takes a second or two for the audio to come back. My TV is up to date as is my Sonos.
Ryan - any updates from my log / on my issue?

Thx
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Hi Ryan, I've had this issue since last November. I patiently captured (recorded) many dropouts using a diagnostic program provided by SONOS. I've been following up to find out when fix is coming but am told, continually, it's being worked on. It appears to be a long standing, long running problem which is proving to be frustrating to me and many other customers. My incident number is 131102-000637. Appreciate your feedback, thanks, Julian
Hi Julian,

Just took a look at your ticket, I see it's in the hands of one of our senior technicians. He'll be in touch with you as soon there's an update available.