Playbar sounds cuts intermittently out when playing TV

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

369 replies

Hi,
I am also having similar problems. Diagnostic number 6062278. Thought I had resolved it by changing from rf to line, but is still occurring.
Userlevel 1
Badge
So tired of the fluttering. My diagnostics number is 6060316. Please create a fix soon.

Hi Overstreet0408,

I've created a support ticket for you: 160405-000816. Please reach out to our phone team for further troubleshooting. You can find our phone number here.

I spoke with tech support and apparently there is an issue with the optical cable and the newer model Samsung tv that i have. Only current fix is to change from dolby digital to PCM. Poorer sound quality but should stop fluttering. I will try it tonight. In the meantime, I have to wait for Samsung to create an update on the new tv or Sonos to create a fix. Tech support also said that other mfg of sound bars also experience the same issue with fluttering as the Sonos bar with the new Samsung tv's.
Userlevel 1
Badge
I just had a fluttering on PCM. Dx 6072140.
I thought I was going crazy...but it seems this is a common issue. We have a Samsung tv as well. Ran diagnostics: 6072205. Thanks!
Userlevel 1
Badge
The only thing tech was able to help with was to switch from Dolby to PCM. Fluttering stopped but sound quality suffered. Big disappointment.
Userlevel 3
Badge
Just one more thing and then I'll give up hope and get these things sold. On a similar note:

https://sonos.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1945/kw/xbox
"The Xbox One is also able to transcode DTS to Dolby Digital 5.1 on the fly. More information can be found here."

https://sonos.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2490
"This answer is no longer available."

🙂
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Just one more thing and then I'll give up hope and get these things sold. On a similar note:

https://sonos.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1945/kw/xbox
"The Xbox One is also able to transcode DTS to Dolby Digital 5.1 on the fly. More information can be found here."

https://sonos.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2490
"This answer is no longer available."

:-)

Hi Christopher_43,

We're in the process of updating FAQs. The FAQ you linked which is no longer available can be found here.

If you continue to have issues with your PLAYBAR, please update your support ticket and let them know your issue is not resolved. We do not stop support until issues are resolved and your ticket should be escalated to our second tier of support.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
I'm shocked at how this has been a known issue for over 2 years and Sonos keeps acting like people are doing something wrong or using bad settings or source devices.

I think you've got it sussed there, I only wish Sonos Support were honest enough to comment. My ticket has, surprise surprise, gone full circle and I'm now being told again that I should buy a Sonos Boost as there are 'conflicts' as I'm apparently running wifi extenders (which I'm not and have already explained I only have one wireless access point).

This thread is 2 years old, but the issue could be caused but a wide number of troubles. Most often, if you only have problems with Dolby Digital sources, it's a problem with a device along the chain of that audio (from where it enters the picture until it hits the PLAYBAR) processing something incorrectly, losing data, or sending something strangely. It could mean the cable is damaged, or something more serious, such as the issue we identified with the Samsung JS and JU model TVs, listed here. Because of the wide range in causes, this isn't a large scale problem that is "fixed" with one resolution for everyone, though in most cases, it can be resolved at the individual level.

This sort of problem isn't generally caused by wireless interference issues, but in the rare case it could be. Wireless issues on your network will very likely cause other issues at some point, so investigating and resolving them will help in the long run.

We're always interested in looking into any of these issues, as we want you all to be able to enjoy your system to the fullest.

@Christopher_43, I've asked a senior technician to take a look over your ticket and reach out to you. The UK team has gone home for the night, but they'll be back in in the morning, they'll be reaching out soon. Stick with us, we can help.

___

I'd just like to echo Jeff's message above, if you do run into trouble with the PLAYBAR cutting out off of Dolby Digital sources only, or have any questions or trouble please feel free to ask. You can post here if you'd like, but to troubleshoot best, it's always a good idea to give us a call on our support line. Thanks!
It seems after around 3 years of faultless service my playbar has decided to start cutting out.

I have a very basic setup that includes the following, 2x Play ones as rears,

Sony KDL55X9005 TV straight into the Playbar then HDMI into the TV for the rest..
SKY 1TB HD Box
PS4
Apple TV

It only cuts out sound from the SKY box for a second or so, completely randomly. It could happen every few minutes to once an hour.
All software is up to date and this problem started occurring around 1 month ago, never had a problem prior to this. It works with all the other sources fine with no cut outs.

The playbar is hardwired to my network switch, I also have a songs bridge, I'm not entirely sure what this is for but it was given to me free when I bought the Playbar. I've so far changed my optical cable for a new one, reset the Playbar, ensured it was running the latest version of software. After reading through this thread I don't hold out much luck for a solution, not entirely sure why it suddenly playing up.

Anything else I can do?
I am having the same issue. I replaced the HDMI and Optical Audio cables. Still having the issue. Diagnostic #6106499. Sony NSX-40GT1
Playbar sounds drops intermittently when playing TV audio. Does not happen when playing other sources. Happens every few minutes, but is not consistent. Playbar is connected wirelessly to a bridge. Also connected is a sub.

I have set my system to reserved IP addresses in my router, set the audio to "uncompressed", changed all of the cabling and channels and my system still drops. I've even gone so far as to reset the playbar and it is still dropping the sound. Please fix this!!!!!!
Userlevel 1
Sound cuts out for maybe a second or less each time.
Hi,

We are having the same problems. Playbar, two Play1 and SUB setup. The interruptions of the tv sound is getting even worse since a couple of days. Tried different channels on the router or in the app. But it didn't help. Even when only the Soundbar is in use and connected with the internet through a cable direct to the router, the interruptions are still there.

Hope there's a solution for this. Diagnostic number: 5477274

Hi,

We are having the same problems. Playbar, two Play1 and SUB setup. The interruptions of the tv sound is getting even worse since a couple of days. Tried different channels on the router or in the app. But it didn't help. Even when only the Soundbar is in use and connected with the internet through a cable direct to the router, the interruptions are still there.

Hope there's a solution for this. Diagnostic number: 5477274

It might be in the audio format of the TV, please check if it's set to PCM or Dolby Digital 5.1, these two are the only supported formats for the PLAYBAR.

Thank you for the fast response. I read the support page and checked all the settings on the tv and sonos app.

TV digital output is PCM. The input received by the sonos system is stereo. The tv series and movies which we stream have Dolby Digital sound (not DTS). The problem of interruptions still occur.

2 months have passed and still got the same problem (Diagnostic number: 5477274). All devices still up to date. Playbar connected through an optical cable to Samsung UE46F8000 Smart-TV. Still have the 5.1 setup with two Play1's and the SUB. Replaced the optical cable, but no changes. Sound settings of the tv are on external and digital output is set to PCM.

Hope there we be a solution soon!
Has anyone here actually been able to fix the problem with the help of SONOS support? It feels like €800 down the drain. Every single movie or TV-series that we watch on Netflix suffers from sound stuttering. I cannot believe that people have experienced the same problems for several years without SONOS actually coming up with a fix. It's quite obvious that the problem is with Sonos, so sending customers on wild goose chases to see if it is the XBOX, PS4, TV, Router that is causing the sound stuttering is ridiculous. I will jump through the hoops, as long as someone can show me that the problem can be fixed without the sound quality being reduced.
I have a Samsung smart tv. Issue occurs when streaming Netflix through the Smart hub.
It is possible the issue may lie there.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
Really? It's been like this since you bought but you waited until it was out of warranty? Methinks t'is you needs a picture drawing!
I have an LG Smart TV and have the same issue with the Playbar cutting out about every 5 minutes for a second. It cuts out only when sound is coming from TV. It cuts out when either PCM or DTS is output from the TV.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
I have an LG Smart TV and have the same issue with the Playbar cutting out about every 5 minutes for a second. It cuts out only when sound is coming from TV. It cuts out when either PCM or DTS is output from the TV.
Hello,

Have you checked the optical cable from the PLAYBAR to the TV to make sure it isn't kinked and is firmly connected on both ends? Also, please submit a diagnostic from the system and reply back with your confirmation number so we can get a good look at things there.

Cheers.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Hey beetle777, I just sent you a PM so we can look into this further with you. I wanted to clarify some information on what exactly your experiencing because there's unfortunately it's in several places and not really condensed. We'd love to get this sorted out with you.
I have a Samsung Smart TV using an optical cable connection and just experienced this for the first time today. I've had the Playbar for a year and Play:1 surrounds for 6 months. I can easily repeat the issue playing Season 4 Episode 1 of Archer on Netflix with 5.1 sound enabled. When I switch it to stereo sound, the issue goes away.
Same problem for 3 months now... only watching dvd or bluray in network (twonkymedia)... any solution?
Hello, I am having the same problems with my Sony TV model KDL 40W5100, sounds cuts out for like a second, and when I use my apple tv the sounds cuts out if I am watching a movie from itunes but It works fine if I am watching netflix on the same apple tv.

I have my cable receiver and apple tv connected to a HDMI switch and the soundbar is connected directly to my tv using a monster optical cable. 
diagnosis confirmation is: 3625137
my incident report is 140419-001623

Thanks

I have a Samsung Smart TV model UA65F9000AK 65" Series 9 UHD LED TV which is connected to the optical input on the Playbar and experience the same problem.

Audio dropouts of 1-2 seconds occur (usually during scenes with critical dialogue) when watching video using any Samsung Smart TV apps, most commonly Plex and Netflix. 

I bought both the TV and Playbar at the same time and have been experiencing the audio dropouts from day 1.  

Diagnosis confirmation is: 3690106 
Userlevel 1
Badge +3
I have the same problem with intermittent sound drop when watching tv. Not to mention other software issues when attempting to play music. I am not adding any more Sonos components until they fix all of there software problems. I hope it doesn't have to wait until they get competition to do so.

Hi Hrdnox,

Please send in a diagnostic report and reply here with the confirmation number. We'll create a support ticket for you and get you in touch with our phone team who can help. Here's how to submit reports.

Jeff, I've submitted a diagnostic. I've read many of the post on this topic and support has been unable to resolve this issue.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
I have the same problem with intermittent sound drop when watching tv. Not to mention other software issues when attempting to play music. I am not adding any more Sonos components until they fix all of there software problems. I hope it doesn't have to wait until they get competition to do so.

Hi Hrdnox,

Please send in a diagnostic report and reply here with the confirmation number. We'll create a support ticket for you and get you in touch with our phone team who can help. Here's how to submit reports.

Jeff, I've submitted a diagnostic. I've read many of the post on this topic and support has been unable to resolve this issue.

HI Hrdnox,

Please reply with the confirmation number.