Playbar sounds cuts intermittently out when playing TV

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

369 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge
What was the fix? I followed someone else's suggestion a couple of days ago and so far so good. I hope I don't jinx myself. Time will tell. He advised to change the HDMI Output setting on the TV to PCM, turn ON the HD audio setting and then restart the TV.
Who was it? How did you solve the issue?
Userlevel 1
Badge +3
I have the same problem with intermittent sound drop when watching tv. Not to mention other software issues when attempting to play music. I am not adding any more Sonos components until they fix all of there software problems. I hope it doesn't have to wait until they get competition to do so.

Hi Hrdnox,

Please send in a diagnostic report and reply here with the confirmation number. We'll create a support ticket for you and get you in touch with our phone team who can help. Here's how to submit reports.

Jeff, I've submitted a diagnostic. I've read many of the post on this topic and support has been unable to resolve this issue.

HI Hrdnox,

Please reply with the confirmation number.

Well, I have to admit that I was a bit frustrated with Sonos support and probably was too quick to dismiss buying any more Sonos products. I eventually got a more experienced Sonos tech who was very helpful and was able to eliminate the intermittent sound drop when watching tv. I have since purchased their Subwoofer to compliment my two Play 5's and Soundbar. What an awesome sound.....I give it and Sonos ★★★★★.
Userlevel 3
Badge
Ok I did it. Let's hope and see if this works. Thanks again for the suggestion.
Userlevel 3
Badge
Thanks for the suggestion Hrdnox. How do I change HDMI audio format?
I have a Sony Bravia 65X and I have the same issue. Looks like this is ongoing and for a $750 investment that's pretty disappointing. Any luck with all of the reports people have filed? Any answers for us that fell a bit cheated?
Userlevel 1
Badge +3
I forgot to mention another thing. Make sure HDMI AUDIO FORMAT is also set to PCM, and set HD AUDIO to ON. Afterwards RESTART your TV (this is an important step). Although I am sure you have turned your TV off and then back on, try doing it immediately after making the audio changes. It wasn't until I restarted my TV immediately after making the changes that I had success.
Userlevel 3
Badge
Thank you, that's what Sonos Customer support advised me to do but it didn't correct the problem. The dropouts still occurred but less frequently and now they are back like before.
Userlevel 1
Badge +3
I just bought a Samsung TV with the Playbar and had the Geek Squad connect everything up for me.
I'm having the same drop out issues while watching cable. It doesn't happen when I stream music or watch youtube, only when watching TV.
Can someone please help me. I see that this issue has been going on for quite some time.

There is a fix for some Samsung TV's. The AUDIO FORMAT needs to be set to PCM. To change the audio format go to MENU → SOUND → ADDITIONAL SETTINGS → AUDIO FORMAT
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Hi Jeff, My confirmation number is: 6179104.

Hi Mikedagreek,

It would be best to continue troubleshooting over the phone. I've created a support ticket for you: 160516-000725. Please give us a call and we'll help out. Our phone number and hours can be found here.
Userlevel 3
Badge
Hi Jeff, My confirmation number is: 6179104.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
I just bought a Samsung TV with the Playbar and had the Geek Squad connect everything up for me.
I'm having the same drop out issues while watching cable. It doesn't happen when I stream music or watch youtube, only when watching TV.
Can someone please help me. I see that this issue has been going on for quite some time.

Hi Mikedagreek,

Please send in a diagnostic report from your system after you hear the audio interruptions. Then reply here with the confirmation number and I'll take a look. Here's how to send in reports.
Userlevel 3
Badge
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Jeff, I appreciate you trying to help but the support staff has been working on my issue for some time. I have four televisions in my house all connected with Fios set top boxes. The intermittent sound drop only happens on the television with the Soundbar connected, and only when I am watching HD broadcast. If I am watching a non HD broadcast or a movie on Netflix there is no sound drop.

Hi Hrdnox,

I'd like to look over your support ticket, what is the case number?
Userlevel 1
Badge +3
Jeff, I appreciate you trying to help but the support staff has been working on my issue for some time. I have four televisions in my house all connected with Fios set top boxes. The intermittent sound drop only happens on the television with the Soundbar connected, and only when I am watching HD broadcast. If I am watching a non HD broadcast or a movie on Netflix there is no sound drop.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Diagnostics Confirmation # 6151773

I've created a support ticket for you: 160509-001009. Please reach out to our phone team, reference that number, and we'll help get things working. You can find our phone number here.
Userlevel 1
Badge +3
Diagnostics Confirmation # 6151773
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
I have the same problem with intermittent sound drop when watching tv. Not to mention other software issues when attempting to play music. I am not adding any more Sonos components until they fix all of there software problems. I hope it doesn't have to wait until they get competition to do so.

Hi Hrdnox,

Please send in a diagnostic report and reply here with the confirmation number. We'll create a support ticket for you and get you in touch with our phone team who can help. Here's how to submit reports.

Jeff, I've submitted a diagnostic. I've read many of the post on this topic and support has been unable to resolve this issue.

HI Hrdnox,

Please reply with the confirmation number.
Userlevel 1
Badge +3

Hi Hrdnox,

1. Sonos buy your own equipment, meaning set top boxes. 2. Buy your own televisions to use for testing. 3.Don't expect thousands of customers to do your dirty work. 4. Make sure a product performs as advertised before you bring it to market. 5. ITS NOT COMPLICATED! Call your senior people and ask for assistance at the top of the company to solve all future problems.
9 days ago in this thread Ryan S invited you to engage with Sonos Support. Instead of spraying accusations (yet again) of unverified interoperability across any vaguely related thread, how about sharing with us what conclusions Support drew after examining your case in detail.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Hi Hrdnox,

Userlevel 5
Badge +2
1. Sonos buy your own equipment, meaning set top boxes. 2. Buy your own televisions to use for testing. 3.Don't expect thousands of customers to do your dirty work. 4. Make sure a product performs as advertised before you bring it to market. 5. ITS NOT COMPLICATED! Call your senior people and ask for assistance at the top of the company to solve all future problems.
Userlevel 1
Badge +3
Wow. Three yeas and people still have this? Guess what I do too. Diags 6154658. I even came out the beta program and still does it. I have removed and replaced e erythema. Still does it.

Cannot believe a great company cannot fix it.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Hey beetle777, I just sent you a PM so we can look into this further with you. I wanted to clarify some information on what exactly your experiencing because there's unfortunately it's in several places and not really condensed. We'd love to get this sorted out with you.