Playbar sounds cuts intermittently out when playing TV

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

369 replies

I just got a new Samsung 4k tv and I am getting the audio drop out problem also.  I've checked my optical audio cables, they are all connected well and no kinks in the wire.  It is not a consistent problem.  It's something that happens just enough to start getting really annoying.

Get used to it... I also have a Samsung 4K TV for a year now and get the dropouts all the time. it is very annoying, and apparently caused by broadcasters using DD+ and not 'standard' DD. It seems there is no cure for this issue as it is down to the sonos hardware decoder not being capable of DD+. I believe the optical interface can't handle DD+ so can't see how sonos can fix this without swapping over to HDMI interface. There is a deafening silence from sonos regarding any resolution for the issue, and I'm sure they could issue a definitive comment if they so wished, so go figure that... guess they don't want to admit there is never going to be a fix, and they certainly don't mention it in the glossy ads. This is a major downside to sonos playbar and they should fess up that there is no fix and install HDMI to sort it once and for all. I believe the people who don't have the issue are just using stereo output from source device, and are thus oblivious to the problem. I bet sonos wish we were too!
Userlevel 3
I just got a new Samsung 4k tv and I am getting the audio drop out problem also.  I've checked my optical audio cables, they are all connected well and no kinks in the wire.  It is not a consistent problem.  It's something that happens just enough to start getting really annoying.

DD+ is used because it uses less bitrate than DD5.1 for the same audio quality = easier to broacast. On the other hand it needs the right decoder and most likely a bit faster hardware. I also read somewhere that there is a "wait" command that has to be handled correctly for the audio stream not to be interrupted. Sonos just about makes it. What frustrates me is that there is no communication from Sonos if there is a hardware limitation or some kind of royalty they refuse to pay.

I did a quick Twitter mention of issue and they asked me to send diagnostics report #. I think they'd prefer to address these as one-off problems rather than possibly suggest it's a global issue. I have a certain sympathy for that, but I wish they would address it here since this is a SONOS board.
I am also experiencing audio dropouts with my Samsung JU7005. I have the Playbar connected directly to my TV via optical.
When the TV is configured to output PCM, everything runs without problems. But when I set the TV to output Dolby Digital, the audio will drop every few minutes for a second or two.

This happens with various input sources such as a set top box (Norwegian Get HD PVR) and a streaming box (Raspberry PI 2 running RasPlex). It looks like as long as the TV outputs Dolby Digital, the audio will drop.

I was planning on adding a couple of Play 1s for surround, but now I'm having second thoughts...
Badge
I had this same issue...audio dropout on tv audio. All other sources OK. TV source is a cable box. I had this issue in another city with a different cable provider and a Harmon Cardon AVR with JBL speakers. As I am still having this issue in Bay Saint Louis I suspect it is not the Sonos system I have here but rather a broadcast issue. I have contacted cable companies in both cities and could not get to resolution. It could be a Dolby Digital issue as I have heard Direct TV customers complain as well. Very annoying!
I have the playbar hooked up to my Samsung un65js8500 via optical cable and I have had the same problems from the first day. Is there a fix yet? if yes, how do I get it?
I have the playbar hooked up to my Samsung un65js8500 via optical cable and I have had the same problems from the first day. Is there a fix yet? if yes, how do I get it?

Same TV, same issue. Noticed on TV and Amazon Prime Video services.
Userlevel 3
Badge +2
Is there really no fix for this yet? I've had this problem for as long as I've had these. Here's my diagnostic number: 5477976

Same advise as 'roryubbink', double check the output format of the TV, is should be on PCM (stereo) or Dolby Digital 5.1.
Userlevel 1
Ditto... Ticket # 160206-000152. Having exactly the same issues with sound dropping out. Did most of what has been suggested here, My Sonos Playbar hard wired, optical out from TV, ran diagnostics, tested with various devices, no significant positive results. Now testing audio with no compression. Tonight no noticeable sound issues with Netflix over 3 hours of viewing. Sonos has some issues with compression, hardware in the optical port, software timing issues, or all the above. I am having a difficult time as to why Sonos engineers cannot determine the cause, or they know the cause and the fix is very costly. Either way this issue is more then annoying. Will update on my compression tests.

Update: 1/20/2016 The dropout problem not solved, 5 or more dropouts last night. Better using uncompressed and a power cycle but still there. Seems that Netflix and Apple TV aggravate the problem as compared to FireTV. Will give Sonos another call today as follow up to the diagnostic I sent last night.
Badge
Update: 1/20/2016 The dropout problem not solved, 5 or more dropouts last night. Better using uncompressed and a power cycle but still there. Seems that Netflix and Apple TV aggravate the problem as compared to FireTV. Will give Sonos another call today as follow up to the diagnostic I sent last night.[/quote]

Agreed, this seems to be, at least in my case an Apple TV and Netflix issue. When I purchase a movie from iTunes through Apple TV I have NO issues. Surely SONOS has a fix for this.
I've submitted diagnostics and reports to Sonos trying to resolve same issue in having with Samsung js8500 smart tv using sound out to sonos playbar with optical cable. I've replaced all cables and it didn't help.

Narrowed issue down a bit. Sound dropping seems to happen only with Dolby Digital and not when in stereo mode. TV sound settings will automatically switch to Dolby depending on movie type (eg action movies use Dolby frequently). When this happens, sound drops for a second or two intermittently.

Tech support hasn't been able to resolve this issue yet, one that appears to be a software issue as I have replaced the sound bar and it didn't make a difference.

Help?
Userlevel 1
Ditto... Ticket # 160206-000152. Having exactly the same issues with sound dropping out. Did most of what has been suggested here, My Sonos Playbar hard wired, optical out from TV, ran diagnostics, tested with various devices, no significant positive results. Now testing audio with no compression. Tonight no noticeable sound issues with Netflix over 3 hours of viewing. Sonos has some issues with compression, hardware in the optical port, software timing issues, or all the above. I am having a difficult time as to why Sonos engineers cannot determine the cause, or they know the cause and the fix is very costly. Either way this issue is more then annoying. Will update on my compression tests.

Update: 1/20/2016 The dropout problem not solved, 5 or more dropouts last night. Better using uncompressed and a power cycle but still there. Seems that Netflix and Apple TV aggravate the problem as compared to FireTV. Will give Sonos another call today as follow up to the diagnostic I sent last night.

Update:
Got some good information from Sonos today regarding this issue. Seems that Apple TV, Netflix and others are using the Dolby Plus standard. Not a bad thing but the new standard sends commands that are only interpreted if the receiver understands Dolby Plus. Sonos fully implements Dolby Plus. The commands my system getting are mute and then more data which causes the Sonos to pause then see more data and start backup again (a good thing actually could just stay in pause). Thus, a short pause in the sound. Whats the fix, up front on the devices changes need to be made. On the FireTv setting the Dolby Plus to off will use PCM and selecting PCM surround will generate 5.1 channel output. On the Apple TV 4 stereo is the only setting I can find. All well and good if you only have Sonos Playbar. Getting good surround sound out of the Playbar only marginal anyway. If you have the full Dolby 5.1 Sonos surround sound, not as good a solution. Sonos is working on the sound compatibility issue. I suggested they have an app option to ignore Dolby Plus commands as an option for systems that are not compatible with this feature. Many other soundbar systems have not implemented the Dolby Plus so these commands are ignored. Sonos said already considered. After todays conversation I feel much better of what the problem is and that there is an effort to find a workable solution. In the meantime the above suggestions may work for some. Hope that is of some value and our wait will not be excessive for a resolution. I will report if I have any issues with the above settings. So far so good.
Good news that it works for those people who didn't invest in the Sonos Play 1 or Play 3's to create the 5.1 surround...but still bad news for those of us who paid more for Sonos components meant to improve the quality of our sound experience...only to find it worsened by the software glitch.

Thanks for posting the update and hope Sonos can prioritize this fix.
Userlevel 7
Badge +19
Rest assured, we are looking into this very issue and will notify our customers of any updates as they become available. Please do let us know if you have any further questions.
Having same issue.5539674
Userlevel 1
TV have a Theater Speaker setting?
I changed mine to Theater setting and sound has performed well.
I am still using audio Stereo setting.
TV have a Theater Speaker setting?
I changed mine to Theater setting and sound has performed well.
I am still using audio Stereo setting.

Just swtiched audio on samsung tv to PCM. Also HD Audio. Going to see if one of those settings helps.
Not sure if you need more examples here so if not please let me know. I have been having this dropout problem for the past two weeks or so. My system looks like this:

TV Sony KDL 52XBR5 (2007 vintage)direct cable connection for a few digital channels
Play Bar attached to TV through Optical connection. Not used for playing music so configured by it self.
2 Play 3s not used for TV for configure with themselves for music.
All SONOS components on a SONOS Bridge attached to the house router. Router, bridge and all speakers with in 8 feet or less of each other.
Cisco 4742 HD set top cable TV box connected to TV via HDMI for major part of TV channels
Apple TV connected to TV via HDMI

I have strong WiFi signal strength and since everything is so close together I don't suspect, not have I had, network issues. The cable TV is "split" so that I get two feeds, one to the set top box and one direct to the TV. The direct from cable connection started having this dropout problem about two weeks or so ago. Switching inputs to the cable set top box(STB) would resolve things after a few seconds and then be fine for that input. Switch back to direct channels and after awhile sound would drop and go into a mode of trying to resync it seems. In each case a check of the Sonos system configuration drop down for the PlayBar showed that direct connect TV was coming through as Dolby 5.1 and the cable STB was doing stereo. No mention in any of the TV set documentation of Dolby+ only PCM so I am wondering if the set (no updates ever done to firmware) is too old to even have that. I am running Alpha 6.3 software on the Sonos components. Haven't tried turning off Sonos compression. If you want diagnostics, test runs or more information please let me know.
Same issue when watching TV (time warner), sound will cut out for 1/2 second every 10mins - ran diagnostic: 5558581
Same issue here, only on TV. We have the full surround setup, so obviously Dolby matters.

Ran diagnostic in the event it would be any help. Confirmation #: 5584844
Userlevel 6
Badge +3
Not sure if you need more examples here so if not please let me know.
Hi, thanks for your feedback. Can you send us a diagnostic and reply with the confirmation number? Here's an article explaining how: How to Submit Diagnostic

Same issue when watching TV (time warner), sound will cut out for 1/2 second every 10mins - ran diagnostic: 5558581
Same issue here, only on TV. We have the full surround setup, so obviously Dolby matters. Ran diagnostic in the event it would be any help. Confirmation #: 5584844

Hi Berry & Jmac,
I have reviewed both of your diagnostics. Make sure the PLAYBAR is wired to the TV's optical out port and not the cable box. Also, would it be possible to test with a DVD/Blu-Ray movie and check if the PLAYBAR is also dropping audio.
Let us know how it goes.
Userlevel 5
Badge +2
Let see new samsung tv can't send clean signal, I have new sony bravia with 5.1 dolby digital out can't send clean signal. Sonos says my dish network receiver digital signal is not in spec the same with direct tv receivers etc etc etc. Lets think everybody thats bought countless new hdmi high quality cables along with countless optical cables these cable companies love sonos. Whats wrong with this picture??? Oh make sure your optical cable isn't kinked also almost forgot that one. Bull.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
New dish receiver vip722k 4-1-16 did not fix problem still audio drop outs I was not surprised. Sonos soundbar does not work with probably all sat receivers, again great for music, but by no means what so ever should lay claim that it is even close to even basic 5.1 dolby capable This soundbar is basically stereo pcm, granted sonos stereo from soundbar in most cases is probably better than your tv speakers. This in my opinion should be disclosed at time of purchase. I am quite sure all sonos reps are aware of this problem. They are their to put out fires for which they have no solution. Once again shame on Sonos for misleading thousands of customers and taking their hard earned money. Stop now Sonos with the lies no optical switch fixes the problem. No hdmi extractor fixes the problem, No new high speed hdmi cable fixes the problem, again future customers save your hard earned money. This problem could have been resolved probably for 30 to 40 dollars when the soundbar was designed. What a shame!

Hi Beetle777,

Please send in a diagnostic report from your PLAYBAR after this happens and I'll take a look. Here's how to submit reports.
Userlevel 1
Badge
So tired of the fluttering. My diagnostics number is 6060316. Please create a fix soon.
Userlevel 1
Badge
Beetle777 hit the nail on the head.