Playbar sounds cuts intermittently out when playing TV

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

369 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +1
I have a Samsung 65UHD9000 and bought a Sonos playbar and sub with it. I am having this same issue and I am a bit annoyed that these posts have been going on for months and still has not been fixed.
Well, a few days ago I updated to the latest Beta release and my Dreaded Dropouts are back. Very disappointed. I have provided feedback to the Beta programme but don't hold out much hope. If I could revert back I would. I don't know why the previous beta release worked for me, but I think it did. I'm starting to think that when they said their system was DD5.1 compatible they meant you get minimum Dreaded Dropouts about 5 times of 1 second per show/film... I wonder if Dolby are aware of the infringement?!
Userlevel 1
I updated and still have the same problem, but now also have it with my cable.  I tried calling support to open a case like everyone else (assuming there will be no resolution just like everyone else) but, unfortunately, I work long hours and I'm on West coast time, so I hope at some point I will be able to reach them.
Hello I too am experiencing this issue, it has been fine for 10 mths until now. I have been watching sky sports 2 and dropouts occurred during the live cricket. I need this issue to be fixed. Paul
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
@User678029, I just opened up ticket number 140729-001389 for you with our Customer Care team. We're open on weekends too and I'll have a technician reach out via email. 
I experience the same dropouts (a few times an hour, for about 1s) with my new Samsung UE40H7000 TV from different sources (DVB-C Tuner, HDMI) that carry a Dolby Digital audio stream. 
Hi Ryan, Talked to support today and was told Sonos doesn't support 'third party' boxes, just televisions so they couldn't do anything for me. Also splitters are not supported. Anyway, they couldn't or wouldn't run a diagnostics check. Shame, guess I have to watch tv without 5.1 for the time being. The threads about this problem are getting longer so hopefully a solution is coming. Could you at least tell me if Sonos is looking into this problem? Thanks. Dirk
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Hi Dirk,

We certainly are looking into this issue. Did you receive a confirmation number today when you called? I don't see a ticket under the email address you have registered here. (But please don't post your email address in this thread) I'd also like to look into that call too.

Thanks
Thanks Ryan, No confirmation number, sorry.... The only thing I can tell you it was the Dutch support center. Btw, have registered my Sonos system under a dfferent mail account. Do you need it and if so can I sent you a pm or something?
I'm surprised by the comment that Sonos don't support connecting to anything except TV's. I've been having dropout issues since I bought my playbar but recently connected it directly to my PVR instead of the TV - no dropouts since then. I'd prefer to have it working properly through the TV as I can't use the playbar with any other source except the PVR.
Don't know if this information will help with isolating the problem for anyone else.
I'll post again if the dropout happen again.
Nick
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Dirk, can you please https://sonos.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/142 for me when you've had some cutouts and reply back with your confirmation number? 
Just had one but it's impossible to reproduce and very inconsistent . Number is 3941149.
Userlevel 1
Hi Ryan, I've had this issue since last November. I patiently captured (recorded) many dropouts using a diagnostic program provided by SONOS. I've been following up to find out when fix is coming but am told, continually, it's being worked on. It appears to be a long standing, long running problem which is proving to be frustrating to me and many other customers. My incident number is 131102-000637. Appreciate your feedback, thanks, Julian
Userlevel 4
Badge +1
Hi Ryan, I've had this issue since last November. I patiently captured (recorded) many dropouts using a diagnostic program provided by SONOS. I've been following up to find out when fix is coming but am told, continually, it's being worked on. It appears to be a long standing, long running problem which is proving to be frustrating to me and many other customers. My incident number is 131102-000637. Appreciate your feedback, thanks, Julian
I deliberately held off from writing something similar to above... but I echo Julian's comment in its entirety. Ryan, et al, it's time to start telling the truth on this. Will there be a software upgrade which fixes this problem for all those affected, yes or no? If yes, by when (a date, not 'soon')? If no, will you deliver a remote capable optical switch, free of charge, to all those affected, yes or no? Please, no marketing or customer service wriggling, just simple yes or no answers.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Hi Julian,

Just took a look at your ticket, I see it's in the hands of one of our senior technicians. He'll be in touch with you as soon there's an update available. 
Userlevel 3
Badge +3
Hi, Its been a while since I commented on the forum, as I had given up on a resolution to the audio drop outs. In the past, I also spent a considerable amount of time submitting diagnostics and talking to support teams about this issue. The eventual response, which has been repeated in other threads is that the drop outs occur due to the playbar being unable to correctly decode Dolby Digital Plus. Unfortunately Netflix and many other digital channels (such as broadcast on Sky in the UK) are using DD+ in place of Dolby Digital. 
My setup also includes an optical switching device and the problem still takes place.
The only way I have found to overcome the limitations of the playbar is to use external devices such as the PS3 and Samsung BlueRay players to convert DD+ and DTS into Dolby Digital. This is fine for apps such as Netflix, but still does not overcome the Sky Channel issues.

Not only was the investment I made in the playbar and surround speakers misguided, but it also means I am unable to get correct sound operation from the apps on my expensive smart TV.

All in All, Sonos have a fantastic Music system, but the implementation of what could have been a market leading surround sound solution, has been let down by poor market research and product development.

Lets hope that one day they will find a way to update the Playbar to correctly decode the latest sound formats, but I am not holding my breath on this.
Userlevel 1
Thanks Ryan, I thought as much as that's been the case for a while. He/she must be a busy guy. Thanks also to John for his comments on this topic. I Agee it's a great system let down by this current problem. SONOS do have some loyal and patient customers who, like me and John, are not being abusive or overtly critical. Personally I would like at least some communication (even if it's to my personal email address) that recognizes that, as well as the time we spent capturing the drop out episodes which are hopefully now helping with finding a solution. I believe John MacFarlane is the CEO and founder of SONOS and must rightly be proud of his accomplishments., his baby, but it would be nice to know that he is as concerned as we are over the length of time it's taking to find, test and release a fix. Yours cordially, Julian
Ryan, just had 3 in 10 minutes, 3944445. Hope you can help me out.
I am new to this thread and as frustrated as everyone else.  After dropping $2K on a Sonos surround system, I am enjoying audio dropouts.  I love Sonos equipment, own many other pieces around my home.

I have used two switches, the Monoprice and the Octava.  Dropouts occur every 20 minutes or so during live sports.  I can also hear more minor hiccups in the audio.  5.1 did not fix it.

I am running a DirecTV H24 into the Octava via HDMI then optical to the Sonos.  Didn't notice any issues in Stereo, just surround.  I have a Playbar on another TV, but it is Stereo only and works flawlessly.

As I posted in another thread, it looks like I'm stuck selling the Sonos equipment and taking the loss. Real bummer.  Sonos has a way to go to supporting home theater.
I too have had this issue for almost 5 months now what steps do I take? Call log a ticket?
I too have had this issue for almost 5 months now what steps do I take? Call log a ticket?
I have a Samsung smart tv that was having the issue when watching tv thru my cable box. I went into the spdif output settings and turned the audio delay to 0 and it seems to have fixed my issue. Give that a try and see if it works for you.
I have a similar problem, but it's with streaming music. The Playbar itself flutters (attenuates) in response to heavy bass notes. I do not have surrounds connected. Anybody else experiencing this? It's unlistenable unless I turn the bass all the way down, and then it's unlistenable due to poor SQ. Multiple diagnostics sent in, no help.
Sound cuts out for maybe a second or less each time.
I had the exact same problem with my Playbar connected to my Samsung Smart TV. Drove me nuts, especially when watching music programs. BUT
SOLVED IT.

Went into the settings of the TV: Sound - Advanced settings. There I found a setting called 'Dolby Digital comp' (comp meaning compression). The setting had two options: 'Line' and 'RF'. 'RF' was bookmarked. Changed it to 'Line'. 

No more dropouts. Have no idea what the setting does, but it worked.

If your TV has a similar setting: give it a try.
Great article Nik. For those who live outside US like me, you can access Netflix, Hulu and similar media stations on your LG Smart TV by using UnoTelly or similar tools.
I also have the same dropout audio issue when watching NETFLIX Smart hub app (Samsung f7500 TV series). I have tried both PCM and Dolby Digital options on the TV (external audio configuration)
Same here with a Samsung UE40F6510 2013 model Smart TV. Playbar worked fine for a couple of months, but then the dropouts and sometimes ticking started.

However, my TV Set Top Box also has an Optical Out, so I had the Playbar connected to that one for a few days. Guess what? Besides the sound being a wee bit early compared with the picture (which is understandable cuz it wasn't being processed through the TV) not a single dropout occurred. So through elimination I think the problem lies with the TV and not the Playbar.

It might have something to do with Samsung Firmware updates, but Samsung insisted that there are no known problems. Right. Anyway, they did a remote connect to go through the same screens I already did about a hundred times and now they're sending someone over to replace some audio part.

I'm not holding my breath cuz I still think it's the telly's software, not hardware. Wouldn't it be about time for Sonos to contact Samsung over their optical audio out problems? Or at least test it for themselves with a Samsung Smart TV? They're not that expensive, you know.

BTW I only got the Playbar to improve the sound from the TV which is PCM. As I said, it worked fine in the beginning and I was happy. I won't be buying a Sub or Play 1's for surround soon though, given the PCM limitations with the current setup.