Playbar sounds cuts intermittently out when playing TV

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

369 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Let see new samsung tv can't send clean signal, I have new sony bravia with 5.1 dolby digital out can't send clean signal. Sonos says my dish network receiver digital signal is not in spec the same with direct tv receivers etc etc etc. Lets think everybody thats bought countless new hdmi high quality cables along with countless optical cables these cable companies love sonos. Whats wrong with this picture??? Oh make sure your optical cable isn't kinked also almost forgot that one. Bull.

Hi Beetle777,

I've reviewed your support ticket: 160318-000699. The issue seems to happen when your cable box switches formats between PCM and Dolby Digital. The technicians suggested contacting Dish to see if there was a way to ensure the cable box stays on one format or the other. Were you able to get in contact with Dish? What did they say?
Very similar issues here, periodic and consistent audio dropping during television playback (optical cable). Surrounds and sub always drop off and recently, the playbar has begun to do the same. Please see diagnostic info referenced below and advise.

Diagnostic ID #: 5446828

Firstly, as a preemptive measure, please reset your wireless credentials within the Advanced Settings in your SONOS controller: This is done within the Wireless Setup option. Note: Do not complete the setup by entering any details, just click the Reset button once it reveals itself. If you could then test the system and get back to us, that'd be great. Also worth mentioning, if you have not done so already, please check the fixture and condition of the optical cable, too. If you are still experiencing issues and you have a satellite TV box, or a Blueray player, etc., you may also wish to test your system with the optical cable linked into one of these, in order to see if this is any better. If so, this would point toward a possible issue with the optical port on your television.

I have the very same problem. I have audio dropouts approximately every 5 minutes while watching cable TV. Just purchased my SONOS playbar new with my high end Samsung 4K TV 8500 240 Hz. The sound cutting for 1 to 3 seconds is very annoying. I wish there would be a fix for this.

If you could run a diagnostic of your system and reply with the confirmation number, I'll happily have a look.

Checked optical cable connections as recommended above and changed operating channel. I'm still, consistently, dropping my sub and surrounds while watching television / movies and while playing music. Would really like a solution to this issue.....

New diagnostic ID from today: 6075420.
Userlevel 3
Badge
Troubleshooting is an iterative process. Diagnostics allow our technicians to understand what's going on behind the scenes of your Sonos system. If you're interested in getting your system working, the best way to do so is to work with our support team.

Absolutely, and I'll continue playing this game, but submitting diagnostics again and again after no fix has been attempted ... surely that's just a waste of time? I'm a Senior DBA at a FTSE 100 company in the UK, by the way, so quite familiar with the notion of troubleshooting, thanks.

As a Senior GAGOR I can see you would also be quite familiar with the notion that if someone doesn't send you an email it is your email providers fault. Familiarity with the notion of having to blame someone, anyone because I am important, is embedded too.

You are struggling with your TV not doing what it is advertised to do. What does your TV manufacturer, the body actually responsible for the fault, have to say about the matter when you contacted them? Their response would be most helpful to others in the same predicament. You have contacted them? Haven't you...

Sorry, I'm lost. Sonos have never once asked me to contact Microsoft (It's an xbox 360; nothing to do with my TV). The only pattern I'm seeing here is that the Playbar 5.1 setup isn't working with multiple devices, and therefore the common component is the Sonos kit. Really, my issue here is that no-one from Sonos is giving us sufficient information on the matter or suggesting what the fix may be or when it may happen. When I logged the support ticket, I did so in a polite and understanding manner, but when I'm asked to do things like factory reset the surround speakers, without any explanation as to why that will help the situation, my confidence drops. Now, months on, it seems that none of the customers affected by this have been proposed a solution, so I'm not very happy about it. I don't wish to be insulted by having 'troubleshooting' spelled out to me; I was more than willing to help troubleshoot, but being asked to just send more diagnostics when nothing's changed doesn't really feel like troubleshooting to me.
Userlevel 3
Badge
I'm shocked at how this has been a known issue for over 2 years and Sonos keeps acting like people are doing something wrong or using bad settings or source devices.

I think you've got it sussed there, I only wish Sonos Support were honest enough to comment. My ticket has, surprise surprise, gone full circle and I'm now being told again that I should buy a Sonos Boost as there are 'conflicts' as I'm apparently running wifi extenders (which I'm not and have already explained I only have one wireless access point).
Userlevel 5
Badge +2
I have a boost it helps nothing just a heads up.
Userlevel 3
Badge
I have a boost it helps nothing just a heads up.
Thanks for letting me know. That doesn't surprise me one bit. I'm just further frustrated that I'm getting nonsensical answers from support, further dodging the issue at hand. Sadly, I feel the wheels are falling off Sonos. I was once a passionate advocate, but it seems like they've become too successful to care anymore and prefer, rather, to send customers round in circles with their awful 'technical support'. Why not, eh, they've already got our money 😉
Userlevel 3
Badge
If Sonos Technical Support are saying they are seeing "Conflicts" in the diagnostics you have submitted that will be because they are seeing "conflicts". They obviously believe this is contributing to the issue you are having and naturally it needs to be solved. Obviously I'm not party to the diagnostic data nor the mail/telephone conversations you have had with support but it would be reasonable to infer that the data they are seeing are indicative of Wi-Fi extenders. If there aren't, and I'm sure you aren't using them if you say you aren't, then something else is causing those issues.

Have you spent any time with the Sonos tech guys on the phone? - they are pretty good and keen to resolve issues for customers.

Stuart_W, I have indeed, and it culminated with factory resetting the surround components, which of course didn't help. I cut my teeth in a support role and now have a very technical job, so I was ready to 'help Sonos help me', rather than be one of those 'just make it work' customers, but sadly, I find the support to be lacking. In my career, I can't factory reset things or turn things off and on again, or tell someone to buy something without any evidence at all that it'll help the situation.
Userlevel 3
Badge
The only thing tech was able to help with was to switch from Dolby to PCM. Fluttering stopped but sound quality suffered. Big disappointment.

Yes, I'll be dismayed if circa £1600 gets me only pseudo surround sound, and find it hard to believe that even the most hardened Sonos fanboys would be happy with it for that price either.
1. Sonos buy your own equipment, meaning set top boxes. 2. Buy your own televisions to use for testing. 3.Don't expect thousands of customers to do your dirty work. 4. Make sure a product performs as advertised before you bring it to market. 5. ITS NOT COMPLICATED! Call your senior people and ask for assistance at the top of the company to solve all future problems.
9 days ago in this thread Ryan S invited you to engage with Sonos Support. Instead of spraying accusations (yet again) of unverified interoperability across any vaguely related thread, how about sharing with us what conclusions Support drew after examining your case in detail.
Userlevel 4
Badge +1
I'm just curious as to how many diagnostic reports Sonos now have. We keep sending them, but nothing comes back. "Don't look behind the curtain...!" Come on Sonos, will you at least acknowledge there is an issue? Will you say what, where and how? And then a timescale for fix or whether there ever will be a fix. You've had enough time now; and plenty of diagnostics.
I am also having problems with dropouts when watching my Samsung TV.
Wish I'd read these forums before I bought the Sonos as I would probably have bought something else.
I'm particularly concerned to see that this issue was identified 5 months ago or more and has still not been rectified.
Perhaps if everybody who is suffering from this problem raised a support incident with Sonos they might take this issue more seriously.
Userlevel 4
Badge +1
Any updates? 
Yes - the Sonos Playbar is still unsuitable for Home Theatre when used as directed. An optical switch is still required for uninterrupted service, and a DVD player capable of DTS to DD conversion required for BluRay viewing. So no change. I get the impression Sonos are still staring at the pile of diagnostic reports we've submitted, wondering where to start.
I have the same issue and I am very dissatisfied with sonos. I paid more for this product and now I have a soundbar that doesn't work as advertised. Sonos should be sued for this. I live in Brasil and I will not call your customer care line. Be a real company and release an update to solve this problem.
+1

Where is the fix? 
Userlevel 1
I have a Samsung 65UHD9000 and bought a Sonos playbar and sub with it. I am having this same issue and I am a bit annoyed that these posts have been going on for months and still has not been fixed.
Userlevel 4
Badge +1
I have a Samsung 65UHD9000 and bought a Sonos playbar and sub with it. I am having this same issue and I am a bit annoyed that these posts have been going on for months and still has not been fixed.
Ryan, care to elucidate on the software decoding issue please? As I and others have said, it's been many moons since this issue was raised and numerous diagnostics sent off. We've had nothing of consequence in return but you're saying that "the issues have been solved as... " etc. I can assure you, my issue was not resolved, other than by employing the use of a third party optical switch. Are you in a position to acknowledge there is a problem and that the only way to resolve it is via a switch? (Let's assume we all know when we have an optical cable or port issue, and this isn't it. The software decoding issue you allude to sounds more reasonable in my and many other cases.) I get the impression that fixing this isn't an easy software upgrade otherwise it would have been done. It's about 7 months now, since this problem was raised... and I still maintain that Sonos should provide an optical switch free of charge to anyone who has this problem.
Userlevel 4
Badge +1
Thanks for the reply, Ryan. However, I, like many others, have sent off numerous diagnostics, including ones with a higher level if detail. I have had no feedback, just requests for more and more info including sessions with support. I don't have time for all this hence I didn't take it further. If there was feedback re the diagnostics and the specific issue then I and others may be more forthcoming. As it is, is appears to be a one-way feed of data and not even an acknowledgement of, "yes, we have a problem", just talk of solutions including optical cables, ports etc. which, in my opinion, do nothing other than confuse or provide succour to those susceptible to such words. I worked in IT and sales long enough to know when I'm being led on !
Userlevel 1
I agree - I just paid $1400 for this system a month ago.  I own front speakers and could have easily went with an upgraded amp and center channel.  I was disappointed to find out that a search on the internet revealed plenty of other people having this same problem 6+ months ago without any fix.  The suggested beta upgrade is now on to beta 5 something and still no fix.  Unfortunately, my two week return period has expired.  This clearly is not an individual-by-individual problem.
Userlevel 4
Badge +1
Well, a few days ago I updated to the latest Beta release and my Dreaded Dropouts are back. Very disappointed. I have provided feedback to the Beta programme but don't hold out much hope. If I could revert back I would. I don't know why the previous beta release worked for me, but I think it did. I'm starting to think that when they said their system was DD5.1 compatible they meant you get minimum Dreaded Dropouts about 5 times of 1 second per show/film... I wonder if Dolby are aware of the infringement?!
I'm surprised by the comment that Sonos don't support connecting to anything except TV's. I've been having dropout issues since I bought my playbar but recently connected it directly to my PVR instead of the TV - no dropouts since then. I'd prefer to have it working properly through the TV as I can't use the playbar with any other source except the PVR.
Don't know if this information will help with isolating the problem for anyone else.
I'll post again if the dropout happen again.
Nick
Just had one but it's impossible to reproduce and very inconsistent . Number is 3941149.
Userlevel 4
Badge +1
Hi Ryan, I've had this issue since last November. I patiently captured (recorded) many dropouts using a diagnostic program provided by SONOS. I've been following up to find out when fix is coming but am told, continually, it's being worked on. It appears to be a long standing, long running problem which is proving to be frustrating to me and many other customers. My incident number is 131102-000637. Appreciate your feedback, thanks, Julian
I deliberately held off from writing something similar to above... but I echo Julian's comment in its entirety. Ryan, et al, it's time to start telling the truth on this. Will there be a software upgrade which fixes this problem for all those affected, yes or no? If yes, by when (a date, not 'soon')? If no, will you deliver a remote capable optical switch, free of charge, to all those affected, yes or no? Please, no marketing or customer service wriggling, just simple yes or no answers.
Userlevel 3
Badge +3
Hi, Its been a while since I commented on the forum, as I had given up on a resolution to the audio drop outs. In the past, I also spent a considerable amount of time submitting diagnostics and talking to support teams about this issue. The eventual response, which has been repeated in other threads is that the drop outs occur due to the playbar being unable to correctly decode Dolby Digital Plus. Unfortunately Netflix and many other digital channels (such as broadcast on Sky in the UK) are using DD+ in place of Dolby Digital. 
My setup also includes an optical switching device and the problem still takes place.
The only way I have found to overcome the limitations of the playbar is to use external devices such as the PS3 and Samsung BlueRay players to convert DD+ and DTS into Dolby Digital. This is fine for apps such as Netflix, but still does not overcome the Sky Channel issues.

Not only was the investment I made in the playbar and surround speakers misguided, but it also means I am unable to get correct sound operation from the apps on my expensive smart TV.

All in All, Sonos have a fantastic Music system, but the implementation of what could have been a market leading surround sound solution, has been let down by poor market research and product development.

Lets hope that one day they will find a way to update the Playbar to correctly decode the latest sound formats, but I am not holding my breath on this.
Userlevel 1
Hi Ryan, I've had this issue since last November. I patiently captured (recorded) many dropouts using a diagnostic program provided by SONOS. I've been following up to find out when fix is coming but am told, continually, it's being worked on. It appears to be a long standing, long running problem which is proving to be frustrating to me and many other customers. My incident number is 131102-000637. Appreciate your feedback, thanks, Julian
Thanks Ryan, I thought as much as that's been the case for a while. He/she must be a busy guy. Thanks also to John for his comments on this topic. I Agee it's a great system let down by this current problem. SONOS do have some loyal and patient customers who, like me and John, are not being abusive or overtly critical. Personally I would like at least some communication (even if it's to my personal email address) that recognizes that, as well as the time we spent capturing the drop out episodes which are hopefully now helping with finding a solution. I believe John MacFarlane is the CEO and founder of SONOS and must rightly be proud of his accomplishments., his baby, but it would be nice to know that he is as concerned as we are over the length of time it's taking to find, test and release a fix. Yours cordially, Julian
Userlevel 5
Badge +2
It's a problem with the Playbar.
It happens on too many devices for it to be the "manufacturer has a problem"

Sonos are very slow at adressing this serious problem.