Playbar sounds cuts intermittently out when playing TV

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

369 replies

Same problem for me with LG TV and mainly watching Sky Q.
Same here, new LG TV. The sound bar has worked fine for several weeks. Now it cuts out randomly from the TV and PVR (Netflix app and virgin media TiVo).
I've literally just had this start happening. Connected via optical cable to Samsung Smart TV. Diagnostic 6958271
Userlevel 5
Badge +2
It's a problem with the Playbar.
It happens on too many devices for it to be the "manufacturer has a problem"

Sonos are very slow at adressing this serious problem.
Same issue here with my Philips tv.. if i connect my playbar to the popcorn hour a400 all is fine
Badge
Diagnostic submitted 6896663 , same problem as others, been ongoing for a while. My wife is gonna smash this playbar if I don't get it working properly, real soon!
Having the same issue here with my new Samsong KS9000 TV and the Sonos PlayBar.

The Netflix and Hulu apps on the Samsung TV seem to create the most dropouts. It will happen on my PS4 Pro as well as some cable channels coming from my Comcast X1 box.

The Sonos is connected via Optical Cable from the TV directly to the PlayBar.

I've tried setting my TV to PCM audio which seems to help a lot, but the audio will stop drop every now and then in the Samsung TV apps. Haven't experienced it with PCM using my PS4 Pro.

I really do love the soundbar and I'd hate to return it for something like this. I'm okay using PCM mode, but I feel I won't be getting as good audio using that setting. Is there any hope for us having this problem?
Badge +1
I am having this issue on my Sony 930c. The Optical Cable is plugged directly from the Sonos to the TV. The audio randomly drops out for 1 second then comes back.
I am having this same issue with a Samsung KS9000 65 inch tv.
Submitted diagnostic, number 6832296 still having the intermittent cutting out of sound. Cables connected firmly connected to a Sony 850
I'm having the same issue with my Playbar and a Samsung 8000. My diagnostic code is 6914192 and my Samsung tv version is 1150
This is an interesting thread, I have had my Sonos playbar, a Samsung tv (not smart) and a Samsung blue ray player for a couple of years, a few months ago my playbar started to 'flutter' , but only when playing a DVD through the blue ray player, I assumed it was the player so switched to a Samsung DVD player and all is OK again!
Hi Ryan S,

I have the same problem with my Samsung Smart TV. I have this on all channels that i watch.
I have sent through my diagnostics ref: 6785801

Any help would be appreciated.
Hi Ryan S,

I have the same problem with my Sony TV but only when watching Sky Q in the uk. I have sent through my diagnostics ref: 6774045

Any help would be appreciated.
nikpatry,

It seems that you had an issue, but installing the "Network bridge" has made things worse. From your description, this does not fit the SAMSUNG TV issue being discussed here. You have some sort of fundamental networking issue. I suggest that you remove that "Network bridge" then work with SONOS support. For what it's worth, I have observed those SAMSUNG audio drops when there is only a TV connected to a cable box.
So here's my experience. Setup comprises of a Playbar and two Play 1s connected to a Samsung Smart TV series 7. Mosty watch Netflix and PLEX. Never had a problem with Audio dropouts until today when I installed a Network bridge. Been having troubles with the SONOS iOS app not finding the SONOS system intermittently. Looking through different threads, I thought this might be wifi interference issues and decided to go and buy a network bridge. So I did that today, connected the tv to the bridge via an ethernet cable and everything seemed hunky dory. The iPhone and iPad always find the system, but..watching a movie on Netflix, that leads me to the audio dropout problem. It happens intermittently on almost every movie just for a second or two..not more. So I removed the bridge, have the playbar connect to my wifi instead. No more audio drops! But I continue having app problems. Connect via ethernet, and the audio drops come back. I hope this helps Sonos in some way trying to figure out what the problem is.
[quote=Ryan S]This thread is 2 years old, but the issue described could be caused but a wide number of troubles.
Two years old and the issue is still there. Not one of confidence in Sonos products. Im sorry , But I am saving up for the Bose one.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
I spoke to someone on Sunday and now have an appointment to speak with some sort of Tier 2 technician. The Samsung TVs have been updated to 1460, and the fixes from 1455 have apparently been lost.

I've seen that a few times around the community too. It seems to affect some but not all, so the team is trying to gather more information to send to Samsung on this. Thanks for working with us!
I spoke to someone on Sunday and now have an appointment to speak with some sort of Tier 2 technician. The Samsung TVs have been updated to 1460, and the fixes from 1455 have apparently been lost.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
It seems that this issue is never going to be resolved as no-one from Sonos has made any attempt on here to tell us what they are doing to rectify this issue that has gone on for sdo long. I am now saving up and getting another make. Sonos is going in the bin. Sonos do not seem bothered with all these customers complaints. Phone support is zero

Hi Gothic, we're happy to help. In almost every situation where the PLAYBAR is cutting out we can assist in finding the cause. The thread's a bit long, so I'll repost a message from earlier, because of the length it can be hard sometimes to find individual posts.

This thread is 2 years old, but the issue described could be caused but a wide number of troubles. Most often, if you only have problems with Dolby Digital sources, it's a problem with a device along the chain of that audio (from where it enters the picture until it hits the PLAYBAR) processing something incorrectly, losing data, or sending something strangely. It could mean the cable is damaged, or something more serious, such as the issue we identified with the Samsung JS and JU model TVs, listed here. Because of the wide range in causes, this isn't a large scale problem that is "fixed" with one resolution for everyone, though in most cases, it can be resolved at the individual level.

This sort of problem isn't generally caused by wireless interference issues, but in the rare case it could be. Wireless issues on your network will very likely cause other issues at some point, so investigating and resolving them will help in the long run.

We're always interested in looking into any of these issues, as we want you all to be able to enjoy your system to the fullest.

If you run into trouble with the PLAYBAR cutting out off of Dolby Digital sources only, or have any questions or trouble please feel free to ask. You can post here if you'd like, but to troubleshoot best, it's always a good idea to give us a call on our support line. Thanks!

_____

If you've worked with our support team over the phone feel free to reply back to your incident if you're still having trouble. Audio cutting out on the PLAYBAR can be caused by a several different issues and they'll help identify what's causing it. Most often it's something we can resolve if you stick with it.

Just a side note to anyone reading along, the issue mentioned in my quote above with the JS/JU TVs was resolved with an update from Samsung firmware version 1455 for the TVs affected.
It seems that this issue is never going to be resolved as no-one from Sonos has made any attempt on here to tell us what they are doing to rectify this issue that has gone on for sdo long. I am now saving up and getting another make. Sonos is going in the bin. Sonos do not seem bothered with all these customers complaints. Phone support is zero
My diagnostic confirmation number is 6487713. I am hold with customer support - it says the wait will be over an hour - that is not acceptable. is there a solution for this pause issue that SONOS can just post?
I have had my soundbar for a while now and never had any troubles till 2 days ago. When all of a suddent the sound goes for about a second then comes back.
I have found this does it on Sky, Blu ray player and Xbox. Whatever Sonos did has messed up my system as I have not changed any settings on my tv or the bar. It is getting on my nerves, trying to watch a movie.
Hi there I have a installed a playbar today and the sound seems to cut out now and then when watching TV through Virgin Media box. I have a Sony x8307c any help will be greatly appreciated. I did not notice the dropout through the xbox or pc. Thanks for looking into this Cheers
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
You mean like connecting a ps3 to the playbar for sound directly?

Yes. Sorry for the delay. We'll want to make start narrowing down where the cutout is happening. If you test the Minix U1 to a different set of speakers, such as directly to the TV, you can see if it's a problem with the audio coming out of that box.

Connecting the PS3 to the PLAYBAR will help narrow down if the PLAYBAR is functioning as it should. It also lets you know if the cable is good.