Playbar sounds cuts intermittently out when playing TV

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

369 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +26
+1 
Hi Parker81,

As I suggested for Dirk below, if you keep having trouble with the Dolby Digital 5.1 playback we'd like to get a closer look at the system. Can you give us a call at your convenience on our Customer Care Line so a technician can get a closer look at the system?

Thanks
+1 

I'm sending DD 5.1 to the Playbar via an HDMI/Tos switch and depending on the content I'm experiencing the same 2-3 second audio drop outs.

I have to agree with Paul above - I just bought the Playbar because I wanted an easy surround solution that could stream music - but it's starting to be more trouble than it's worth. The only thing is that when the playbar is receiving true DD 5.1 it sounds pretty awesome - way better than many other soundbars I've owned and heard. It just seems like a waste that Sonos has made it so difficult to get it since almost no TVs actually pass DD 5.1 through their optical out.

I actually submitted an email ticket #140605-000135

Should I also call?
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
+1 
This would be easier to troubleshoot live, but you can call with that incident number. You can also troubleshoot via email for a bit first, and call when you have time.

Thanks
Userlevel 4
Badge +1
I'm just curious as to how many diagnostic reports Sonos now have. We keep sending them, but nothing comes back. "Don't look behind the curtain...!" Come on Sonos, will you at least acknowledge there is an issue? Will you say what, where and how? And then a timescale for fix or whether there ever will be a fix. You've had enough time now; and plenty of diagnostics.
+1 
OK - Thanks
I am also having problems with dropouts when watching my Samsung TV.
Wish I'd read these forums before I bought the Sonos as I would probably have bought something else.
I'm particularly concerned to see that this issue was identified 5 months ago or more and has still not been rectified.
Perhaps if everybody who is suffering from this problem raised a support incident with Sonos they might take this issue more seriously.
I've posted this problem on 2 forums but no solution yet.

Connected my UPC(cable)-box (5.1) through CYP AU-D41 into the Playbar and getting completely random fractional sound dropouts. When connected throught the TV first there are no dropouts but then I don't have real 5.1 sound. (no problems with my Bluray player btw)

It's not too big a problem but I just want to get the most out of the Sonos-system, so that means 5.1 sound when watching TV as well.

Looks like Sonos can't handle the input, but it might as well be a problem with the cablebox (?)

I had the same sound drop and here’s how I solved the problem. I have the main DVR/Cable box connected to TV via HDMI and play bar to TV via optical. I also have three other satellite cable boxes (w DVR access) in use, so I swapped out the main DVR/cable box with a satellite box and no more sound drops.
Any updates? 
Userlevel 4
Badge +1
Any updates? 
Yes - the Sonos Playbar is still unsuitable for Home Theatre when used as directed. An optical switch is still required for uninterrupted service, and a DVD player capable of DTS to DD conversion required for BluRay viewing. So no change. I get the impression Sonos are still staring at the pile of diagnostic reports we've submitted, wondering where to start.
I have the same issue and I am very dissatisfied with sonos. I paid more for this product and now I have a soundbar that doesn't work as advertised. Sonos should be sued for this. I live in Brasil and I will not call your customer care line. Be a real company and release an update to solve this problem.
+1

Where is the fix? 
Userlevel 1
I have a Samsung 65UHD9000 and bought a Sonos playbar and sub with it. I am having this same issue and I am a bit annoyed that these posts have been going on for months and still has not been fixed.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
I have a Samsung 65UHD9000 and bought a Sonos playbar and sub with it. I am having this same issue and I am a bit annoyed that these posts have been going on for months and still has not been fixed.
Hi User678029,

We're working very closely with our customers having cutouts on PLAYBARs. The issues have been solved as problems ranging from optical cables, output ports and software decoding issues. We would like to see any systems which are having this issue live so we can assist getting this resolved fastest.

Can you please give us a call on our Customer Care Line and work live with a technician?

Thanks
Userlevel 4
Badge +1
Ryan, care to elucidate on the software decoding issue please? As I and others have said, it's been many moons since this issue was raised and numerous diagnostics sent off. We've had nothing of consequence in return but you're saying that "the issues have been solved as... " etc. I can assure you, my issue was not resolved, other than by employing the use of a third party optical switch. Are you in a position to acknowledge there is a problem and that the only way to resolve it is via a switch? (Let's assume we all know when we have an optical cable or port issue, and this isn't it. The software decoding issue you allude to sounds more reasonable in my and many other cases.) I get the impression that fixing this isn't an easy software upgrade otherwise it would have been done. It's about 7 months now, since this problem was raised... and I still maintain that Sonos should provide an optical switch free of charge to anyone who has this problem.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Sorry, let me clarify a bit. The problems we've seen so far have on the large been unrelated issues which look like similar problems. Audio cutting out can be caused by a number of circumstances and we're working very closely with each and every case we can here to identify if there might be a common cause, or even a trend that can be rooted out. 

@User740479, It looks like your case was escalated to our Senior Team and they tried setting up an appointment to give you a call but didn't hear anything. If you're still having trouble with your setup I'll reopen case 140405-001230 for you. If you still have the email from the technician, can you reply back and let him know when you're best available? 
Userlevel 4
Badge +1
Thanks for the reply, Ryan. However, I, like many others, have sent off numerous diagnostics, including ones with a higher level if detail. I have had no feedback, just requests for more and more info including sessions with support. I don't have time for all this hence I didn't take it further. If there was feedback re the diagnostics and the specific issue then I and others may be more forthcoming. As it is, is appears to be a one-way feed of data and not even an acknowledgement of, "yes, we have a problem", just talk of solutions including optical cables, ports etc. which, in my opinion, do nothing other than confuse or provide succour to those susceptible to such words. I worked in IT and sales long enough to know when I'm being led on !
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
It’s very important to get precise, reliable data which is reproducible when looking into a potential issue. We are looking into this and will be updating everyone when once we have a resolution or update to share. At this time, we’re still trying to gather the best data possible to help with all stages of the process.

I'll leave your incident open and update the senior technician who is working with it.
Userlevel 4
Badge +1
I have a suggestion. Get a smart tv (try a Samsung or LG, two of the leading brands), connect it to a Playbar and try watching a netflix 5.1 film. The problem is easily reproducible. Assuming you buy a tv that outputs 5.1 via optical..... But then you'd know that. Please, Sonos, any one of us can make the dropouts happen within 30 mins or less. There is no magic at work here. You can do it to as suggested above. In my call logs I've even provided names of shows/films which will 'happily' make the dropout occur; The Shield, for example. I'm not going to talk further with a senior technician. I'm not going to be an unpaid tester either (although I joined the beta programme in the forlorn hope of a quick fix). I respectfully suggest you test the Playbar yourselves and experience the dropouts first-hand; you can then do all the diagnostics you want and make yourselves giddy with system logs. I and the others just want this fixed, please. My wife and I spent a tidy sum on this system and she *still* glares at me when we get dropouts and I'm forced to use the manual optical switch. I await the announcement of a fix, be it software or an apologetic letter along with a free, automated optical switch.
Userlevel 1
I agree - I just paid $1400 for this system a month ago.  I own front speakers and could have easily went with an upgraded amp and center channel.  I was disappointed to find out that a search on the internet revealed plenty of other people having this same problem 6+ months ago without any fix.  The suggested beta upgrade is now on to beta 5 something and still no fix.  Unfortunately, my two week return period has expired.  This clearly is not an individual-by-individual problem.
Userlevel 4
Badge +1
I should add that The Shield on Netflix isn't even 5.1 but Dolby Stereo and STILL has dropouts.
Userlevel 1
I hard wired the play at and so far no cut outs... But have only played one movie. Curious to know if that solved the problem for anyone else.
Userlevel 4
Badge +1
Hardwiring may solve the problem. If you have more than one device (cable, PS4, Xbox, DVD, Roku, etc.) you then need a switch...... which is what I and many others do, and which is why I request Sonos provide a Universal remote compatible optical switch, free of charge, to all affected users. For some reason, the Playbar is incompatible when connected to the tv directly - the very method for which it is designed.
Userlevel 1
You're right. It did not solve the problem. I guess I will have to call customer support about a BRAND NEW piece of junk product.
Userlevel 4
Badge +1
I suggest you join the Beta programme. I update to the latest 5.1 s/w version a couple of days ago and have not had any dropouts since. Fingers crossed they've sorted it. I've not done extensive testing yet but will report back...
Userlevel 1
Thanks! I already updated to the new beta but still same issue.