Playbar sounds cuts intermittently out when playing TV

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

369 replies

I purchased on optical splitter and ran an optical cable from each of my sources. I get a dropout once in a while but it is only from att u verse on certain channels. And it's the same channels all the time. It was a $30 work around but the problem is fixed and I can fully enjoy my system. You shouldn't have to do what I did though. But it DID solve the problem for the most part.
We too have been trying to get sonos to face up to the intermittent sound outage form day one without luck. All diagnostic blame seems to be on the tv and not the inability to process dolby digital + sound. We believe that all consumers have the right to return the equipment for refund as it is not fit for purpose.
Userlevel 3
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Sonos Playbar on Samsung TV is cutting out when using Netflix or streaming servic.... Sonos support team:
I'm also experiencing this issue: Sonos Playbar + sub + surround speakers recently added to a brand new Samsung Smart TV. Sound works fine for cable TV, DVD/BlueRay, Roku -- but when using either Netflix or Amazon Prime video through the Samsung Smart TV interface the sound cuts out for 1-2 seconds regularly throughout the program. Netflix and other streaming services do not produce sound cutoffs when playing from a different device (e.g., Google Chromecast or Roku) and the sound does not cut out when playing from the TV's native speakers so it appears that the issue is with the Sonos Soundbar.

It appears that this is a persistent problem given the number of issues in the Sonos message board. Any solution?

Thanks in advance.

I have the same. Netflix are using DD+ rather than the old DD5.1 because it is more efficient (less bit/s for same audio quality). Sonos can't handle that. I wouldn't expect Chrome cast to transcode it to dd5.1, but who knows, maybe they do.
Userlevel 3
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Sonos Playbar on Samsung TV is cutting out when using Netflix or streaming servic.... Sonos support team:
I'm also experiencing this issue: Sonos Playbar + sub + surround speakers recently added to a brand new Samsung Smart TV. Sound works fine for cable TV, DVD/BlueRay, Roku -- but when using either Netflix or Amazon Prime video through the Samsung Smart TV interface the sound cuts out for 1-2 seconds regularly throughout the program. Netflix and other streaming services do not produce sound cutoffs when playing from a different device (e.g., Google Chromecast or Roku) and the sound does not cut out when playing from the TV's native speakers so it appears that the issue is with the Sonos Soundbar.

It appears that this is a persistent problem given the number of issues in the Sonos message board. Any solution?

Thanks in advance.

Yeah, should play, but doesn't. Ask Sonos why.
The thing is that what I heard, the Netflix implementation is supposed to save bandwidth so it should actually use less bitrate than a DD5.1 does. It's not a fix bitrate spec. And it is said to use a couple of flow control commands that Sonos don't handle. My TV passes DD+ if that is what's comming down the line. Sonos does a decent job trying to play it and shows DD5.1 in the app, but it gets very frequent audio drop-outs.
Ok, possible improvement.

Ive had this problem for the last 3 months. I got a new samsung 8 series Smart TV and Playbar + SUB bought partly to get a descent sound setup for the new tv. Really frustrating having theese dropouts all the time, making me revert to only using sonos for music, and using the standard tv sound just to get rid of the hassle. Playbar is connected with the opctical cable that came with the package, and a wired network connection, while the sub is wireless.

While watching regular regular TV through my cable tv box the sound works just fine, having no problems. But I started to notice the dropouts first while using the Netflix Smart app on the Samsung tv. Then I started to use Viaplay smart app, HBO and more also noticing the problem. Ive talked to both samsung and sonos with no real solution, samsung suggested me to try lower volume settings, so not really confident in their problem sovling approach. However, after reading this thread I switched from wireless to cable network on the tv and changed from "uncompressed" to "auto" in the sonos settings. I put the TV sound out to Dolby Digital, And Netflix is using Dolby 5.1. TV Compression was on RF whatever that means. And it was significantly better with only 1 dropout the first 15-20 minutes, and now Ive tried switching it to "Line" instead of "RF" and has been fine for the last 20 minutes with no Dropouts. Might be an extreme coincidence, but Ive usually had 1+ dropouts every 5 minutes. Ive been using "Better call Saul" as my benchmark as for some strange reason that show seems to be heavy on the dropouts.

Fingers crossed, but no dropouts yet. 

Ive had this problem for the last 3 months. I got a new samsung 8 series Smart TV and Playbar + SUB bought partly to get a descent sound setup for the new tv. Really frustrating having theese dropouts all the time, making me revert to only using sonos for music, and using the standard tv sound just to get rid of the hassle. Playbar is connected with the opctical cable that came with the package, and a wired network connection, while the sub is wireless.

While watching regular regular TV through my cable tv box the sound works just fine, having no problems. But I started to notice the dropouts first while using the Netflix Smart app on the Samsung tv. Then I started to use Viaplay smart app, HBO and more also noticing the problem. Ive talked to both samsung and sonos with no real solution, samsung suggested me to try lower volume settings, so not really confident in their problem sovling approach. However, after reading this thread I switched from wireless to cable network on the tv and changed from "uncompressed" to "auto" in the sonos settings. I put the TV sound out to Dolby Digital, And Netflix is using Dolby 5.1. TV Compression was on RF whatever that means. And it was significantly better with only 1 dropout the first 15-20 minutes, and now Ive tried switching it to "Line" instead of "RF" and has been fine for the last 20 minutes with no Dropouts. Might be an extreme coincidence, but Ive usually had 1+ dropouts every 5 minutes. Ive been using "Better call Saul" as my benchmark as for some strange reason that show seems to be heavy on the dropouts.

did this resolve the issue?

I've had a playbar (with sub and surrounds) since the day the sub came out and this intermittent do out only started 2-3 weeks back. this happens with my roku, or a tablet via hdmi.

where are the "line" "rf" settings?

Thanks

Hi,

For me it seems to have fixed the issue, wether the sound quality is sub-par or not due to the settings Im not sure of, but its better than the sound disconnecting for a couple of seconds every now and then.

Ive tried it now with the smart-tv apps, chromecast and regular cable box, all seems to be working just fine.

The Line and RF settings are on the tv´s advanced sound settings but this might differ from tv set to tv set though.

-e
Userlevel 1
Badge

I got recommended the same thing when contacting Sonos support in Sweden: try switching from RF to Line.

My problem is that I've got a series 7 Samsung smart tv (7005, I think) on latest firmware and that option is greyed out. Can't switch between the two. Says it's not available for the selected output encoding or something. Tried all available, Dolby, PCM etc. but none let me switch to Line.

Anyone else stuck at this point?

This might have to do with what source the TV is connected to. I think im unable to switch rf/line when using the digital cable box, but got some more options when using the smart apps, and then another set of options when using the chromecast. If im remembering this correctly. So try to switch to another input and see if the options are the same for everything.

Im actually a bit confused about this myself as I tried every setting possible while using netflix unable to get rid of the problem, then adjusting the settings using another input to just give it a go, and suddenly it works everywhere.

Not supposed to be like this, but might point towards some strange combination of hardware/software bug forcing the tv to not use "your" settings but whatever mix it finds most suitable.

-e
Userlevel 1
Badge

Could perhaps try with my ps3 and see if that gives me any other options. Got a bunch of audio format settings on that atleast. Edit: Can't even choose Dolby from the TV menu anymore, disabled and PCM is the only working, available option. Ended up connecting the PS3 to the Playbar. Made sure the PS3 outputs Dolby Digital when available. Trying out Netflix on the PS3 instead now. Playing a Dolby digital plus 5.1 surround movie, Sonos app says input is Dolby Digital 5.1. So far no dropouts, will test with a whole episode of some TV show later. Would like to think the TV's my problem right now, audio wise.
I'm also getting this with my Sony kdl 50. At first, search results indicated it was Comcast box, but the problem disappeared when I disconnected playbar so it's clearly a sonos issue. Any updates sonos? I'm also getting this with my Sony kdl 50. At first, search results indicated it was Comcast box, but the problem disappeared when I disconnected playbar so it's clearly a sonos issue. Any updates sonos?
Userlevel 3
I'm also getting this with my Sony kdl 50. At first, search results indicated it was Comcast box, but the problem disappeared when I disconnected playbar so it's clearly a sonos issue. Any updates sonos? I'm also getting this with my Sony kdl 50. At first, search results indicated it was Comcast box, but the problem disappeared when I disconnected playbar so it's clearly a sonos issue. Any updates sonos?
Have you verified the audio format? If the service you are using is sending Dolby Digital+ (like Netflix) you will get audio drop outs. Sonos supports DD5.1 only. If this happens when you listen to Stereo sources or pure dd5.1 it's a different story. When you listen to the TV sound it will be stereo anyway, no matter what the source audio is.
Badge
I just got a new Samsung 4k tv and I am getting the audio drop out problem also.  I've checked my optical audio cables, they are all connected well and no kinks in the wire.  It is not a consistent problem.  It's something that happens just enough to start getting really annoying.

Update the firmware to the Samsung. Then reset the Samsung to factory defaults. I had dropouts with both the Sonos and a Sony soundbar. After updat and reset, no dropouts.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
I just got a new Samsung 4k tv and I am getting the audio drop out problem also.  I've checked my optical audio cables, they are all connected well and no kinks in the wire.  It is not a consistent problem.  It's something that happens just enough to start getting really annoying.

@Tim, I don't see any support tickets under the email address you're using here. Did you get a reference number from the automated system when you sent that ticket in? Perhaps it's under a different email address, do you mind sending a new diagnostic and posting the confirmation number here? 

@Tomas, if you'd like a hand and have the energy we're happy to help further. A diagnostic doesn't get reviewed unless a technician's attention is called to it through one of our many support channels. If you have a support ticket open, make sure to update it with your diagnostic confirmation number and let the technician know what's going on. 

Just ran the diagnostics, confirmation number is: 4652532.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26

Thanks Tim, no tickets under the email address your registered too either. I'll open one up for you under the one you're using here. It'll be reference number 150617-002268.

Just to add to the notes here, is your PLAYBAR plugged directly into that 4k TV or are you using it plugged into a different device? Have you tried it plugged directly into a cable box or DVD player?
Userlevel 3
I have an LG Smart TV and have the same issue with the Playbar cutting out about every 5 minutes for a second. It cuts out only when sound is coming from TV. It cuts out when either PCM or DTS is output from the TV.
The Playbar doesn't play DTS. At all.
As a test, connect the TV directly to the cable box with an HDMI cable. I've seen these dropouts continue while using the TV's own speakers and the SONOS system is disconnected.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
I have an LG Smart TV and have the same issue with the Playbar cutting out about every 5 minutes for a second. It cuts out only when sound is coming from TV. It cuts out when either PCM or DTS is output from the TV.
Hi User947006, what source of audio are you having trouble with? Is this the optical connection to the TV or through a music service? Can you send a diagnostic from there and give us the confirmation number?