Playbar sounds cuts intermittently out when playing TV

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

369 replies

Userlevel 1
I have a Samsung Smart TV model UA65F9000AK 65" Series 9 UHD LED TV which is connected to the optical input on the Playbar and experience the same problem.

Audio dropouts of 1-2 seconds occur (usually during scenes with critical dialogue) when watching video using any Samsung Smart TV apps, most commonly Plex and Netflix. 

I bought both the TV and Playbar at the same time and have been experiencing the audio dropouts from day 1.  

Diagnosis confirmation is: 3690106 
Userlevel 4
Badge +1
I have a Samsung F7000 series tv and the Playbar has been doing it since day 1. It's frustrating as hell and spoils the enjoyment of all films. I get the impression that Sonos aren't bothered about fixing it.
Hello, I am having the same problems with my Sony TV model KDL 40W5100, sounds cuts out for like a second, and when I use my apple tv the sounds cuts out if I am watching a movie from itunes but It works fine if I am watching netflix on the same apple tv.

I have my cable receiver and apple tv connected to a HDMI switch and the soundbar is connected directly to my tv using a monster optical cable. 
diagnosis confirmation is: 3625137
my incident report is 140419-001623

Thanks

Same problem for 3 months now... only watching dvd or bluray in network (twonkymedia)... any solution?
I have a Samsung Smart TV using an optical cable connection and just experienced this for the first time today. I've had the Playbar for a year and Play:1 surrounds for 6 months. I can easily repeat the issue playing Season 4 Episode 1 of Archer on Netflix with 5.1 sound enabled. When I switch it to stereo sound, the issue goes away.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
I have an LG Smart TV and have the same issue with the Playbar cutting out about every 5 minutes for a second. It cuts out only when sound is coming from TV. It cuts out when either PCM or DTS is output from the TV.
Hello,

Have you checked the optical cable from the PLAYBAR to the TV to make sure it isn't kinked and is firmly connected on both ends? Also, please submit a diagnostic from the system and reply back with your confirmation number so we can get a good look at things there.

Cheers.
I have an LG Smart TV and have the same issue with the Playbar cutting out about every 5 minutes for a second. It cuts out only when sound is coming from TV. It cuts out when either PCM or DTS is output from the TV.
I've been asked to turn up my diagnostic level and have sent in more reports to the guys, waiting to hear back, but yes its very annoying.

I'm using a Samsung TV, what do others have?
Same problem here with the cutout, hope it gets resolved soon.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Hi everyone,

"Fluttering" is a problem where the rear surround speakers will oscillate in volume irregularly when receiving a stereo signal. It can also be described as a fading and swelling of the rear audio. The Beta included a fix for that issue. Our senior team is currently working on an issue some people have experienced with audio cutting out sometimes on the PLAYBAR when getting a Dolby signal. 

I'd recommend checking under the audio settings on the TV to see if you can set it to PCM or Stereo, this will help with the cutout issue if you have the same problem we're working on. 

@MattB That Netflix signal is probably coming in as Dolby.

I'll be updating this thread for you when there's more information on the cutout issue, but we wanted to make sure anyone in this thread having that fluttering issue could get the Beta.

Cheers.
I have a Samsung smart tv. Issue occurs when streaming Netflix through the Smart hub.
It is possible the issue may lie there.
I also joined the BETA program and updated my system, and I'm still experiencing issues with the PLAYBAR cutting out.  Fluttering has never been an issue for me either.
Hi Ryan,

I joined BETA and updated my system.
My initial problem of the sound cutting out for a second or 2 is still there.
Fluttering was never an issue for me.
Do you consider the sound cutting out to be a "fluttering" issue?

thanks.

Matt
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Hello everyone, 

We've developed a fix for the PLAYBAR fluttering issue which can be applied via a small update. We've moved this update into an Open Beta. You no longer need to be flagged for a special update, by posting a diagnostic. If you are still having fluttering on your Surround Speakers, please follow these steps and enroll in the Sonos Beta for 4.2.2.

If you've already been patched, you're systems don't need to be updated at this time.

Cheers.
Ryan, (Sonos Rep) i too am experiencing sound drops intermittently with my play bar and surrounds.
typically while streaming Netflix. Samsung smart tv. optical cable to play bar.

Should run a diagnostics?

thanks.

Matt
Same issue here. It's a very short cut out, maybe 1/8 second. Happens on all channels live TV and from my PVR box. Drops out around once a minute, but sometimes fine for a while. Sound bar has been fine for 3 days since installed, only just noticed the issue this evening, I would,led say it wasn't doing go this for the first couple of days. Have submitted diagnostics 3370148.
Userlevel 1
Hi Ryan, I ran a diagnostic last night. The confirmation number is: 3361297

thanks,
nik
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Hello Nik,

Can you make sure that the optical cable from the PLAYBAR to the TV is firmly connected on both ends and that it isn't crimped? Also, please submit a diagnostic from the system and reply back with your confirmation number so we can get a good look at things there.

Cheers.
Userlevel 1
Sound cuts out for maybe a second or less each time.