Playbar sounds cuts intermittently out when playing TV

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

369 replies

Badge
I just bought a Sonos System (PLAYBAR, SUB , 2 PLAY1) and have it hooked up to a brand new Samsung 65" 4K TV. I have owned this less than 3 weeks and I'm experiencing audio drop-off. Only with the TV though. Paying two grand for a sound system and have it not work properly is extremely disappointing. Apparently this is a known issue that needs to be fixed. Please advise.:@
Same problem here I have a Samsung UN65KS9000 65-Inch 4K Ultra HD Smart LED TV (2016 Model) and just submitted a diagnostic 7188076.This seems to happen occasionally the drop out is for at most 1-2 seconds long but never consistent. I have the soundbar two play1's sub and also a connect which is not really part of the problem which I use to send music around my house in ceiling system. This does seem to be very annoying and I have my own optical cable which I bought as I needed a longer cord. Any help on this problem would be appreciated
Badge
Sound cuts out for maybe a second or less each time.
OK - I may have solved the problem of audio dropouts on my Samsung SmartTV to the Sonos Playbar. 

I stopped using the WiFi connection to the Samsung Smart TV, and instead tried a wired connection to my network.  No more dropouts.  I realized that the WiFi is contentious in my house and kids are constantly using it.  When I did a speed test using Ookla - the WiFi speed was considerably slower than when I used a wired device. 

So - I changed my SmartTV to use wired, plugged the TV into my gigabit network - and no more dropouts.  it is possible that somehow the video is buffered sufficiently to prevent breakup - but maybe the audio buffer is starved for data when the WiFi became oversubscribed.  It does not make perfect sense - as the video should also be taking hits.  Every so often I get a lag on Amazon, but very rarely so I admit there is an inconsistency with my logic.

The hits used to occur intermittently - as if there was some other factor, perhaps like when the kids are playing online games or downloading large files.  So removing the TV from the same wireless network that has a number of devices in communication appears to have helped.  I have a 50 Megabit pipe from our service provider, but the WiFi speeds seemed to vary depending on how many users are currently on every time I did a test.

Anyway - as of this weekend, after the change - no more audio dropouts.  Try a wired connection to a gigabit network and see if this helps.  If your ISP speed is slow, there may be nothing you can do other than pay more for a faster pipe.

Good luck
Userlevel 1
Badge +1
Hello Batsabode, I took a look at the diagnostic report you submitted in your post from that I can see the PLAYBAR is receiving a periodic signal from your Samsung TV. Are you experiencing audio dropouts on all sources connected to the TV (Set Top Box, Disc Player, Video Game Consoles, Built-In Apps, etc.)?

You mentioned using a 3rd party optical cable with the PLAYBAR as you needed some additional length. Is the connector on the end of your replacement optical cable bigger than the one that shipped with the PLAYBAR? If so the cable itself may not be properly seated in the optical input connection of the PLAYBAR.

We also have a FAQ on our support site that outlines some troubleshooting steps that you can try to help further isolate the source of the dropouts. Let us know how it goes.
Same problem here I have a Samsung UN65KS9000 65-Inch 4K Ultra HD Smart LED TV (2016 Model) and just submitted a diagnostic 7188076.This seems to happen occasionally the drop out is for at most 1-2 seconds long but never consistent. I have the soundbar two play1's sub and also a connect which is not really part of the problem which I use to send music around my house in ceiling system. This does seem to be very annoying and I have my own optical cable which I bought as I needed a longer cord. Any help on this problem would be appreciatedHello Batsabode, I took a look at the diagnostic report you submitted in your post from that I can see the PLAYBAR is receiving a periodic signal from your Samsung TV. Are you experiencing audio dropouts on all sources connected to the TV (Set Top Box, Disc Player, Video Game Consoles, Built-In Apps, etc.)?

You mentioned using a 3rd party optical cable with the PLAYBAR as you needed some additional length. Is the connector on the end of your replacement optical cable bigger than the one that shipped with the PLAYBAR? If so the cable itself may not be properly seated in the optical input connection of the PLAYBAR.

We also have a FAQ on our support site that outlines some troubleshooting steps that you can try to help further isolate the source of the dropouts. Let us know how it goes.
Badge
Sound cuts out for maybe a second or less each time.
Michael - If you perform an Ookla speedtest - what do you get for download speeds on the wired network?
The optical cable is fine and fits perfectly and is totally secure so I doubt very much that it is the problem. As far as sources go I have noticed that the intermittent sound issue happens from multiple sources going through the Samsung tv, so the BD player, plex from a mac mini etc all have problems along with regular cable.
Userlevel 1
Badge
Same problem here. Just bought my playbar and connected it to my Samsung smart tv. Noticed the drop outs when watching Netflix. Switched to pcm and will give it another go later on. Diagnostics report: 4308566.
Switching to PCM audio out on my TV seems to have solved the drop out issues for me. Haven't noticed anything since switching. Netflix works just fine right now and as of three weeks.
I'm getting an audio drop out for maybe half a second. Like half of a word or full word in dialogue that is dropping out every few minutes. Have a playbar, sub, and two play:1 set up. Was doing before I set up the two additional play:1s. Haven't noticed it doing it on other devices hooked to tv, such as game consoles etc. only seems to be happening while watching through cable. Thats not to say it's not happening on other devices, just currently haven't experienced it just yet.
Userlevel 4
Badge +1
Same problem here. Just bought my playbar and connected it to my Samsung smart tv. Noticed the drop outs when watching Netflix. Switched to pcm and will give it another go later on. Diagnostics report: 4308566.
...if you like stereo, rather than 5.1
My diagnostics is 7405782. Keeps dropping out sound and flashing white light on side
Userlevel 7
Badge +19
I'm getting an audio drop out for maybe half a second. Like half of a word or full word in dialogue that is dropping out every few minutes. Have a playbar, sub, and two play:1 set up. Was doing before I set up the two additional play:1s. Haven't noticed it doing it on other devices hooked to tv, such as game consoles etc. only seems to be happening while watching through cable. Thats not to say it's not happening on other devices, just currently haven't experienced it just yet.

Hello there, would you mind submitting diagnostics and replying with the confirmation number it gives at the end? Here's how.

My diagnostics is 7405782. Keeps dropping out sound and flashing white light on side

Looks like we have a pretty robust network with Access Points. Would you mind giving me a full run down on your network topology? What type of AP system do you have set-up? What is your Main Router Make and Model, etc.

One of the players (Kitchen) also seems to be stuck in Wireless Mode while the rest of your Sonos system is on SonosNet. We may want to plug in that PLAY:3 and remove the wireless credentials. Here is how we do that. This way, the Sonos system doesn't interface with the AP's but rather other Sonos devices for network connectivity.
Just to note my kitchen play 3 is on wireless as it doesn't have a hard connection point nearby, so not sure what you want? Also my playbar has worked fine in this configuration for over a year. I'll look up the answer to your other questions but can't see how it helps
Hello there, would you mind submitting diagnostics and replying with the confirmation number it gives at the end? Here's how.

Looks like we have a pretty robust network with Access Points. Would you mind giving me a full run down on your network topology? What type of AP system do you have set-up? What is your Main Router Make and Model, etc.

One of the players (Kitchen) also seems to be stuck in Wireless Mode while the rest of your Sonos system is on SonosNet. We may want to plug in that PLAY:3 and remove the wireless credentials. Here is how we do that. This way, the Sonos system doesn't interface with the AP's but rather other Sonos devices for network connectivity.[/quote]

I have zyxel APs 1123ac, and I have a zyxel router. all other things on my home network are working fine
I'm having a similar issue with a brand new Samsung UN65kS8000FXZA hooked up to a playbar via optical cable. Sound drops intermittently. Very annoying. Diagnostic 7415051.
Userlevel 4
Badge +1
I am pleased to say that I finally appear to be dropout-free. Samsung released a firmware update about 2 weeks ago which gave back the onboard netflix 5.1 and no more dropouts. I'm finally a happy-ish man with my Sonos. I contacted Samsung with the issue who said an update would be coming. Took 6 months after that contact... I have a 2013 UE7000 model.
I am also having this problem, several times per day, where audio cuts in and out, for a second or two each time, on my playbar (connected by optical cable to our samsung TV - and I did check the connection on the cable between the TV and the playbar) - submitted a diagnostic - confirmation # is 7418976
At first I suspected the playbar. But then, I found that I can "play" back the silence on DVR recordings. So, my issue was TW cable related, not Sonos.
Hi karl, a warm welcome to the Community. Would you mind changing a setting on your TV and then listening for any audio dropouts?

The Samsung menu choices are listed below, although these steps can change from model to model. The goal is to change the audio out to PCM.

Push the menu button on the TV remote and scroll down to sound

Push the enter button on the remote and scroll down to Additional Settings

Push the enter button and scroll down to SPDIF output

Push the enter button on the remote and you will see Audio format defaulted to Dolby Digital

Push the enter button then change it to PCM

Then exit the menu by pushing the EXIT button
Userlevel 1
I am pleased to say that I finally appear to be dropout-free. Samsung released a firmware update about 2 weeks ago which gave back the onboard netflix 5.1 and no more dropouts. I'm finally a happy-ish man with my Sonos. I contacted Samsung with the issue who said an update would be coming. Took 6 months after that contact... I have a 2013 UE7000 model.
This sounds quite promising. What is the Samsung firmware version number that is dropout free for you?
Hi karl, a warm welcome to the Community. Would you mind changing a setting on your TV and then listening for any audio dropouts?

The Samsung menu choices are listed below, although these steps can change from model to model. The goal is to change the audio out to PCM.

Push the menu button on the TV remote and scroll down to sound

Push the enter button on the remote and scroll down to Additional Settings

Push the enter button and scroll down to SPDIF output

Push the enter button on the remote and you will see Audio format defaulted to Dolby Digital

Push the enter button then change it to PCM

Then exit the menu by pushing the EXIT button

This corrected the issue for me on my Samsung UHD 55" (circa 2015) TV
Userlevel 4
Badge +1
I've recently noticed this issue occurring. Sound drops for a second or two at intervals that can be as short as few seconds or minutes apart. my TV is a Sony 55W905A, connected via optical link. I've had the playbar for years, connected to the same TV with the same cables and setup without any prior issues. I've checked all cables are connected firmly. I can play back the same content (e.g. a DVD via PS4 connected into the TV over HDMI) and the sound cuts out at exactly the same place in the content every time I play it.

Diagnostic submitted, 7736795
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Sonos Playbar on Samsung TV is cutting out when using Netflix or streaming servic.... Sonos support team:
I'm also experiencing this issue: Sonos Playbar + sub + surround speakers recently added to a brand new Samsung Smart TV. Sound works fine for cable TV, DVD/BlueRay, Roku -- but when using either Netflix or Amazon Prime video through the Samsung Smart TV interface the sound cuts out for 1-2 seconds regularly throughout the program. Netflix and other streaming services do not produce sound cutoffs when playing from a different device (e.g., Google Chromecast or Roku) and the sound does not cut out when playing from the TV's native speakers so it appears that the issue is with the Sonos Soundbar.

It appears that this is a persistent problem given the number of issues in the Sonos message board. Any solution?

Thanks in advance.
I have the same intermittent issue with the play bar. I have a Sony model XBR75X850E.