Question

Playbar + Play 1 to get multi-channel audio - NOT surround?

• 2 December 2016
  • 8 replies

Badge
I'm trying to accomplish a very specific goal and have had a really hard time. My parents are hard of hearing with my mother being completely deaf on one side and 40% loss on the other. They both have a difficult time hearing the tv without it blaring. If I buy them a Playbar and a Play1, can they be used together to play the same audio from the TV? I do NOT want Surround sound. I want to be able to have the bar at the tv for my father and others and the Play1 sitting beside my mom where she can hear.

Is this possible? I see that you can play the same thing in multiple rooms so I'm assuming so but the website is completely unhelpful. Thanks in advance to anyone that can help!

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

8 replies

For music the sound from the Playbar and p:1 would sync. For TV sound they could play together but there would be an echo. You may be able to delay the Playbar audio to improve this but at the expense of lip sync.

Would Bluetooth transmitter and headphones be a viable option instead of Sonos?
Badge
For music the sound from the Playbar and p:1 would sync. For TV sound they could play together but there would be an echo. You may be able to delay the Playbar audio to improve this but at the expense of lip sync.

Would Bluetooth transmitter and headphones be a viable option instead of Sonos?

Thanks for the help John. I was able to find some last night to test out and realized it wouldn't work. I'm going to try the bluetooth and a Play1 speaker for her and hopefully it'll do the job.
OK. Are you saying you aren't going to get the Playbar but are going to get a Play:1? If so, you cannot play TV audio just through a Play:1, without a Playbar or a Sonos component with a line-in.

For info, there are Bluetooth transmitter/splitters around that will broadcast to two pairs of Bluetooth headphones.
Badge
OK. Are you saying you aren't going to get the Playbar but are going to get a Play:1? If so, you cannot play TV audio just through a Play:1, without a Playbar or a Sonos component with a line-in.

For info, there are Bluetooth transmitter/splitters around that will broadcast to two pairs of Bluetooth headphones.

Sorry it took so long to reply, I couldn't get the forum to load. I got a Samsung soundbar, a bluetooth transmitter, and a Play 1. It appears that this isn't going to work as I can't figure out how to hook up the Play 1 to anything other than my phone. I can't add a Connect because everything is mounted. Is my thinking correct here that I'm going to need to return the Play 1 and buy another speaker?
There is really no way to use Sonos Play:x speakers as wireless surrounds with anything except the Sonos Playbar. Even the hacks suggested, like using a Connect, will introduce a 75 ms delay which will ruin any directional effects to be out of time with the front speakers and/or any action on the screen.
Badge
There is really no way to use Sonos Play:x speakers as wireless surrounds with anything except the Sonos Playbar. Even the hacks suggested, like using a Connect, will introduce a 75 ms delay which will ruin any directional effects to be out of time with the front speakers and/or any action on the screen.

I'm not looking for surround, this will basically be 2 front speakers. One for my father and everyone else and the other for my mother that's nearly deaf to have beside her so that she can hear the tv without blasting everyone else away with volume.

I'm not looking for surround, this will basically be 2 front speakers. One for my father and everyone else and the other for my mother that's nearly deaf to have beside her so that she can hear the tv without blasting everyone else away with volume.

Still not possible without the delay. You are probably better off using the Samsung soundbar for everyone else, and a Bluetooth adapter connected to a digital output of the TV, either directly to the digital in of the Bluetooth (if it has one), or through a DAC, then a Bluetooth speaker/headphones at your Mom's preferred location.
Badge

Still not possible without the delay. You are probably better off using the Samsung soundbar for everyone else, and a Bluetooth adapter connected to a digital output of the TV, either directly to the digital in of the Bluetooth (if it has one), or through a DAC, then a Bluetooth speaker/headphones at your Mom's preferred location.

That's exactly what I'm doing. I don't care about the delay. I just want audio. The question is whether there's a way to do it with the Play 1 or if I need another speaker. It seems that the Play 1 is useless without a phone.