To correct the situation I have tried the following:
- Cut of power to the player that was out-of-sync and put the cord back in: this will correct the situation and music plays in sync again for the whole day
- Ungroup the TV Room zone and set it up again. This also helps until it happens again (some 24 hours later or so)
Since this is now happening almost every day (when I go to bed the TV input is set, and in the morning I play some music where the problem manifests), I contacted Sonos support. They asked me to call in during their office hours, which I did. The support guy on the phone told me that this problem would most likely be caused by a faulty clock in one of the players and he said it is quite difficult to troubleshoot. Well, he is quite right there.
He told me I needed to find the faulty device, by creating new zones with two devices paired and listen to music to assess its synchronicity. Since the problem only occurs after at least several hours (or perhaps even 16 hours or so), it is not easy to do this. I did try though. These setups (first speaker is group coordinator) all worked flawlessly:
- Playbar with left speaker
- Playbar with right speaker
- Left speaker with speaker in other room
- Right speaker with speaker in other room
- Left speaker with playbar
- Right speaker with playbar
Testing was done like this:
1. Group the combination of speakers and play music
2. Set volume to 0
3. Went to sleep or work
4. After sleep or work I set the volume higher to listen for out-of-sync music: none
Again, I could not reproduce my out-of-sync issue.
Yesterday I was done testing and regrouped my TV room in the setup Play bar with surround speakers, watched a movie and some TV and all was good. This morning however, when playing music, it was out-of-sync again. This time both satellite speakers are in sync, but the Play bar seems out-of-sync.
I am getting sort of desperate on how to continue troubleshooting this issue. Has anyone any experience with these types of issues and knows how to find the culprit? I am sort of done testing for hours and hours with equipment that should "just work". Any help and pointers would be very much appreciated.
Thanks in advance,