Playbar out-of-sync with surround speakers

• 4 February 2017
  • 10 replies

Userlevel 2
Recently my TV Room (1 Playbar with 2 Play:3 surround speakers, Playbar is wired, rest of speaker through SonosNet) is starting to play music out-of-sync. When I watch TV nothing seems wrong (TV and music sound seem to be in sync, even after binge watching for 6 hours or more). However, the next day (i.e. most of the times), if I play music (so TV input to Spotify or some other music source), music is out-of-sync.

To correct the situation I have tried the following:
  •  Cut of power to the player that was out-of-sync and put the cord back in: this will correct the situation and music plays in sync again for the whole day
  • Ungroup the TV Room zone and set it up again. This also helps until it happens again (some 24 hours later or so)

Since this is now happening almost every day (when I go to bed the TV input is set, and in the morning I play some music where the problem manifests), I contacted Sonos support. They asked me to call in during their office hours, which I did. The support guy on the phone told me that this problem would most likely be caused by a faulty clock in one of the players and he said it is quite difficult to troubleshoot. Well, he is quite right there.

He told me I needed to find the faulty device, by creating new zones with two devices paired and listen to music to assess its synchronicity. Since the problem only occurs after at least several hours (or perhaps even 16 hours or so), it is not easy to do this. I did try though. These setups (first speaker is group coordinator) all worked flawlessly:
  • Playbar with left speaker
  •  Playbar with right speaker
  •  Left speaker with speaker in other room
  •  Right speaker with speaker in other room
  •  Left speaker with playbar
  •  Right speaker with playbar

Testing was done like this:
1. Group the combination of speakers and play music
2. Set volume to 0
3. Went to sleep or work
4. After sleep or work I set the volume higher to listen for out-of-sync music: none

Again, I could not reproduce my out-of-sync issue.

Yesterday I was done testing and regrouped my TV room in the setup Play bar with surround speakers, watched a movie and some TV and all was good. This morning however, when playing music, it was out-of-sync again. This time both satellite speakers are in sync, but the Play bar seems out-of-sync.

I am getting sort of desperate on how to continue troubleshooting this issue. Has anyone any experience with these types of issues and knows how to find the culprit? I am sort of done testing for hours and hours with equipment that should "just work". Any help and pointers would be very much appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Ries

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

10 replies

Userlevel 2
The support engineer also told me to look for "Clock pull hit the top rail" or "Clock pull hit the bottom rail" messages in the  log messages:

I do see the "top rail" messages in the players that are in the zone (except the group coordinator), so I am not really sure if that is a good or bad thing.
If your surrounds are seeing 'clock pull' messages when they're simply bonded to the PLAYBAR I would suspect it's the PLAYBAR which has a wobbly clock. It's the group coordinator in any situation where it's not grouped with another 'room'.
Userlevel 1
Badge
Was there ever a resolution to the problem?

I just setup a 5.1 Playbar/SUB/Play1 system and now I'm getting the same thing. It will be fine for a while, but then the surrounds will drift out of sync, sometimes by slightly different amounts.

I've got two other 5.1 setups in the same house, one with Play1 surrounds and another with a Connect:AMP surround, and in the 2+ years those have been in operation, I've never had an issue.
rosenqui,

I'd recommend that you run a systems diagnostic, post the number here, or call in to Sonos with that number. I've never seen an explanation other than ratty's above, and it is likely that Sonos will need to be involved to help fix it.
Userlevel 1
Badge
In case anyone from Sonos is watching, my system diagnostic number is 7276196 and the problem room is called "Rec Room".
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
In case anyone from Sonos is watching, my system diagnostic number is 7276196 and the problem room is called "Rec Room".

Hi rosenqui,

Your Rec Room PLAY:1s are connecting via their 2.4 ghz antennas instead of the 5 ghz antennas. This is why they are falling out of sync with your PLAYBAR. It may help to reboot the PLAY:1s. Please try that and see if things improve.

If not, please check around your PLAYBAR for any third party devices which could be causing 5 ghz wireless interference. Common sources of interference include cordless phones, wireless cameras, wireless baby monitors, wireless printers and third party wireless speakers. Try moving any such device away from your PLAYBAR and PLAY:1 speakers.

If you're still having troubles, please send in a new diagnostic report and reply here with the confirmation number.
Userlevel 1
Badge
I noticed excessive traffic on my network switches so I dug a little deeper into their STP settings. Both support STP and it was enabled, but it seemed like there was a loop or some other configuration setting causing problems. I moved all of the Sonos wired gear to one of the switches, made sure both were on STP instead of RSTP, and restarted everything.

I can't say for sure if it was the restart of the PLAY:1s or the change to the network config, but I haven't had any sync issues since.
Hello, I’m having the same issue when listening to music through the play bar, sub and two play ones. Everything is fine for the first 15 minutes or so then the play ones lose sync, diagnostic number is 1109837397, can someone help?
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Hello, I’m having the same issue when listening to music through the play bar, sub and two play ones. Everything is fine for the first 15 minutes or so then the play ones lose sync, diagnostic number is 1109837397, can someone help?

Thanks for the report. There are some wireless communication errors between your home theater speakers. Most of the time this is due to wireless interference from nearby electronics. Please take a look around your home theater speakers for any other electronics which could be causing interference, and try moving away any you find, or power them off temporarily and see if things improve. Common sources of this kind of interference are cordless phones, wireless cameras, wireless baby monitors, and wireless printers.

Thanks for the report. There are some wireless communication errors between your home theater speakers. Most of the time this is due to wireless interference from nearby electronics. Please take a look around your home theater speakers for any other electronics which could be causing interference, and try moving away any you find, or power them off temporarily and see if things improve. Common sources of this kind of interference are cordless phones, wireless cameras, wireless baby monitors, and wireless printers.

OK thanks. We have Philips Hue bloom lights beside all speakers as they are in the corners of the room, has this been a problem before?