Playbar - no sound from Optical input (Sony TV)

• 6 July 2019
  • 3 replies

I cannot get any audio from my Playbar when TV input (optical) is selected. I have adjusted all audio settings on my Sony XBR-55X810C as per its troubleshooting steps to provide optical output to a soundbar (headphone/audio out set to Audio out Fixed, Digital audio out set to PCM, Sound restoration (DSEE) set to Off, Digital audio out volume set to Max). Speakers are set to “Audio system”. I have tried several different optical cables. No luck!
I’m not sure if it’s the TV or the Playbar that’s the problem, so I have submitted diagnostic 1781925875 to see if you can help on Sonos end.
Please and thank you.

3 replies

The thing you haven’t mentioned is the source of the video streams you’re playing on the TV. Are the through a cable box, or game console, etc? All of those devices also have to be set to either Dolby Digital or PCM as well.

You may want to pull the end of the optical cable out of the PLAYBAR and see if there is a red light being emitted while the TV is on, it’s possible that there is something going on with your optical output, and that’s one way to confirm it really is sending a signal of any type.
Thanks for the tip. Checked the optical cable and no red light from TV.
I confirmed that my satellite TV receiver is sending audio output in Dolby Digital/PCM, so I now conclude that it’s the Sony TV.
Sony support says, “Sound sent to the TV through an HDMI®️ connection, or other input, may not output through the optical jack. In this case, you should connect the optical jack from the source device (Blu-ray Disc™️ player, DVD player, etc.) directly to the home theater, or stereo system to get sound.”

Direct optical cable connection from satellite receiver to Soundbar works, but I will now need to manually move the optical connection between my two devices (Blu-Ray and satellite).
Also, I won’t be able to use Soundbar for Netflix streamed from smart TV.
Aha. Great detective work.

You may may want to consider an HDMI switch, with an optical output, so you don’t have to do so much switching all the time.