Playbar making thumping/clicking/popping sound

• 5 August 2017
  • 33 replies

When streaming video on Netflix and Prime the Playbar has started making a periodic thumping/clicking/popping sound. Any ideas how to fix?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

33 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +19
Hey there, tommyroblinson. Thanks for posting and welcome to the Community. Does this only happen when using Amazon Fire TV or does this happen regardless of the content source? Additionally, I am seeing quite a number of Physical errors pointing to the PLAYBAR. This normally means that something in the immediate surroundings of the PLAYBAR is causing enough of an electronic disturbance that it is preventing the PLAYBAR from communicating with the surrounds. Can you describe the surroundings of the PLAYBAR?

I noticed you are using Google WiFi. Have you tried plugging one of your Sonos devices into the main router unit for your system?
Thanks Keith, the Fire TV is really the only device we have connected other than playing music via the Sonos App, Spotify, etc... The Playbar was recently mounted onto the wall below the Samsung TV. We are using Google Wifi but plugging the Playbar in directly isn't really a reasonable solution for us.

While the Fire TV is the only device we use, the content causing this issues seems exclusive to Amazon Prime content. I don't believe I've experienced the same issue when streaming Hulu or Netflix.

I'm unsure of what the electrical disturbance might be. We recently moved and the playbar used to simply sit on a mantle and now is mounted on the wall using the Sonos Playbar mounting kit. Any guidance would be appreciated.
I'm also having the same problem just started today been using this set up for a long time.
Also running into the same issue. Netflix and through Samsung QLED screen. Pops like it is gonna blow.

Diagnostic: 1745614577
Userlevel 7
Badge +19
Hello everyone. Thanks for posting about this. In most cases regarding audio quality like buzzing, popping or crackling, you want to first test the player with another audio source. If the issues persist, the best course of action is to then give our support technicians a call to troubleshoot this in real time. They will be able to replace the speaker if deemed necessary.
Badge
Downloaded the newest Samsung firmware update 1230 for my MU8000 tv and it fixed my thumping sound issue!! It is only available as a USB flash drive update through the Samsung website. Not one single thump or crackle since!!
Badge
Mine started today and I've been on hold for 45 min. I've tried everything that was mentioned in this thread. Did Sonos ever post a resolution?
Badge
Mine started today and I've been on hold for 45 min. I've tried everything that was mentioned in this thread. Did Sonos ever post a resolution? As I mentioned in my previous post, if you own a Samsung TV with one connect, you will need to download the newest firmware for your tv. It fixed my thumping sound completely. The newest version is only available as a usb flash drive download.