Question

Playbar leaving group - a theory and possible solution

• 30 October 2016
  • 4 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +5
Hi all,

I continue to have problems with my Playbar leaving the group when playing a music source (1 Playbar, 1 Play 1, 1 Play 3 each in separate rooms). When this happens, the other players continue to play, but when I look at the Sonos app the Playbar shows it has reverted to the TV source.

My theory is that the Playbar may be getting a short burst of audio or a false signal from the TV despite the TV being off, which is enough to briefly cause the Playbar to ungroup and switch to TV audio. On the basis of a discussion with support, I've temporarily disabled the 'ungroup on autoplay' setting for the purpose of testing and will of course continue to monitor. However, I've already noticed the undesirable downside of this approach... when switching on the TV the audio will automatically play in all rooms.

As a potential workaround, I'm considering purchasing an optical switch. My thinking is that when I want to switch to music I can switch the splitter to an empty input, which effectively disables the optical input from the TV (I'd actually program the Harmony to switch the optical switch to another source when the TV is switched off). Any thoughts on this approach?

Also any guidance on products for use, preferable available in the UK and ideally via Amazon? I would consider the HDMI splitter route as well and I've seen other posts on the Octava unit - my only concerns being cost and complexity as I'd be going from what was a simple setup (all sources to TV, TV optical to soundbar).

Lastly a side note - is anyone else using the Samsung UE##KS9000 (2016) model TV with the Playbar and have any similar experience?

Thanks all

Tom

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Sounds like it would work - here is one on amazon that allows you to IR control so you can have your harmony switch to an unused input.

https://www.amazon.com/ViewHD-TOSLINK-Digital-Switcher-VHD-TS3X1/dp/B00G188Z7A
Userlevel 2
Badge +5
Thanks Chris. I've managed to find a similar unit on Amazon UK (looks the same, not branded as ViewHD):

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Duronic-TosLink-Digital-Optical-Switcher/dp/B01GCQ8ND6/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1477917987&sr=8-2&keywords=optical+switcher

(appears to be sold under various brands)

There's also a Lindy model which has more inputs and is a brand I recognise:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/LINDY-Port-Optical-Audio-Switch-Black/dp/B01ABQJBNE/ref=dp_ob_title_ce

Not sure if anyone has any experience with these particular units. Presumably being optical there is little point in paying a ridiculous price for one, but on the other hand I don't want to buy something completely unreliable as that will only make the current issues worse. 😉
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
I wouldn't think they could mess up a digital signal.
Userlevel 2
Badge +5
Wanted to return and update this post in case anyone comes looking. It seems working with Sonos support we've now managed to confirm that the TV (Samsung KS9000) is randomly sending an optical signal to the Playbar even when the TV itself is off. I'm going to continue testing to definitively confirm this (by physically disconnecting the TV optical) the next time I'm listening purely to audio.

If anyone comes looking and happens to have this combination (Samsung KS9000, Playbar, and at least one other Sonos speaker) that you use for multiroom audio, please post here.

I'm also going to share to some other Samsung forums and look to raise an issue with Samsung. Would be great to have evidence from others to add to this.

Cheers

Tom