Playbar keeps switching to TV.

Badge

Approx once per day (not yet investigated if this is at a constant time), the Playbar, which I invariably keep tuned to TuneIn Classic FM when switched off, unilaterally switches to select TV Audio. It started doing this about a week ago having steadfastly stayed on Classic FM for many months beforehand barring the occasional power cut or network reset when it reverted to “No music selected”. I am on auto-update, so assume this “feature” coincided with a firmware update. Two reasons this should not happen.  1) there is no optical feed to the playbar, 2) The App switch “TV Autoplay” is off.

A different Room (comprising a pair of Play 1 and a Sub) has a similar set-up, and steadfastly remains on Classic FM.

This playbar in years gone by featured in a full surround system, but now stands alone as a simple radio - turn it on with the power button and up pipes classic FM. Having to dive into the App for this every time now is infuriating. Is this a known bug - and/or is there a workaround, please?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

30 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +9

Marcel75, I am aware of that. My point is it only happens when radio (or whatever music stream) is not playing, while playing music I can perfectly control volume with my IR remote without the Playbar switching to TV. Hence my question why would you press volume + while NOT playing music.

Badge

Just curious here, I checked it on my own system and it only happens when you press the volume + button when the radio is not playing, so my question is why would you press the volume + button when nothing is playing?

It also happens when pressing “mute”. Two reasons for “normal” systems with an optical cable between the playbar and TV:

1. If you have a one-for-all controller set to the wrong mode, you may well be trying to increase the volume on another piece of kit not connected to either Sonos or TV. When (apparently) nothing happens you pick the correct function off the 1-4-all and then do what you’d intended to - having unwittingly and silently triggered the trap
  2. If you believe that the reason Sonos is not playing the selected radio station because the volume is set to minimum (as oppose to source paused). In the past a dab on the volume would bring it up if in that mode and do no harm if not - a dab on the soundbar powe switch would bring it back to life. No longer.

My system no longer has a connection between the TV and sound bar. However, the TV remote control (until this bug was introduced) could usefully be used for either - or perversely both if the radio and TV were both “on”.

Even when my TV optically fed the sound bar, I had a separate IR remote control (from a redundant TV) to operate the sound bar volume. In that way I could leave the TV internal speaker volume set to zero and control sound bar volume without TV internal sound coming on.

Finally, if you have a house with kids, remote buttons get pressed all the time. Up until this bug was introduced, this had no detrimental effect on Sonos sound selection.

I would comment that this is also happening to me on both an older PlayBar and a PlayBase. 

My setup is simple.  I have a PlayBase connected to my TV via Optical.  I then turn the TV on in the mornings and watch/listen to the news.  I leave the news channel on all day but switch the audio to live streaming radio via TuneIn on the Sonos system.  My experience is that after a completely random amount of time, the audio switches back to the TV and streaming of the radio station stops.  No remote button has been pressed, no specific amount of time has passed, no playlist has ended (since it is a live stream).  

I have not opened a case on this as I originally thought I was just losing my mind but it seems that since others are having the issue I may open a case to help push a fix along for this. 

The only other uniqueness to my setup is I do have TV AutoPlay enabled but I do this so that TV Audio starts when I turn on the TV. Since my TV is already on when I switch to radio AutoPlay should not invoke a change anytime after.

Badge

The most likely reason I your case is a momentary loss of TV audio signal.  That can occur for many reasons, most of which are raw source related. A switch to OB from studio or a satellite feed would do it. You can cure yours by turning off TV audio. I am stuffed still.

Approx once per day (not yet investigated if this is at a constant time), the Playbar, which I invariably keep tuned to TuneIn Classic FM when switched off, unilaterally switches to select TV Audio. It started doing this about a week ago having steadfastly stayed on Classic FM for many months beforehand barring the occasional power cut or network reset when it reverted to “No music selected”. I am on auto-update, so assume this “feature” coincided with a firmware update. Two reasons this should not happen.  1) there is no optical feed to the playbar, 2) The App switch “TV Autoplay” is off.

A different Room (comprising a pair of Play 1 and a Sub) has a similar set-up, and steadfastly remains on Classic FM.

This playbar in years gone by featured in a full surround system, but now stands alone as a simple radio - turn it on with the power button and up pipes classic FM. Having to dive into the App for this every time now is infuriating. Is this a known bug - and/or is there a workaround, please?

I thought I fixed the issue - however it persists 2 weeks later. I stopped using my Sonos altogether. Now I WFM in silence. It’s super frustrating that this is an issue because I’d rather sit with music in the background while I work.