Playbar Cuts Out After Updating

Userlevel 1
After updating to 7.3, the sound keeps cutting out while watching TV. The only way to get it back is to switch it to another audio source (radio station, music, etc) then quickly switch it back. Again, it only started doing this after I updated. My TV is a Vizio P-55. My diagnostic number is 7546768.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

41 replies

As I said before in this thread, post a system diagnostic in this thread,

https://en.community.sonos.com/troubleshooting-228999/no-sound-on-certain-channels-after-system-update-today-6789926

and you'll get a beta which appears to be fixing this issue. Or, you can wait until it gets approved for general release, which I would think would be soon.
I am having the same problem since the 7.4 update. Before the update my Playbar, Sub and (2) PLAY:1 surrounds worked perfectly. No issues whatsover and sounded great! Ever since the 7.4 update the sound takes forever to start when I start watching anything on my TV. When I change channels sometimes the sound is immediate, sometimes it is delayed before it starts. I submitted a diagnostic, 7829637. I don't understand what is taking so long for a fix?! Why can't they revert back to 7.3 or get a fix out quickly. It is frustrating and embarrassing when you have people over and are trying to show off your surround system and there is no sound and you have to explain it is a 'bug' and you are waiting for a fix. I'm sure everyone will want to go buy a Sonos system after seeing my demo 🙂
Grayline, I'd urge you to read the post before yours for a potential resolution.
Same issue here over and over again. Not happy.
Sonos is consolidating all of the people who are having this issue in this thread:

https://en.community.sonos.com/troubleshooting-228999/no-sound-on-certain-channels-after-system-update-today-6789926/index1.html

I assume that if you post there, and give them the requested information, they'll get in touch when there's a fix to the issue.
Changing it to PCM fixed the same issue here.
[quote=adragonflym]After updating to 7.3, the sound keeps cutting out while watching TV. The only way to get it back is to switch it to another audio source (radio station, music, etc) then quickly switch it back. Again, it only started doing this after I updated. My TV is a Vizio P-55. My diagnostic
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
It appears that they're trying to get all of these issues in to one thread, located here:

https://en.community.sonos.com/troubleshooting-228999/no-sound-on-certain-channels-after-system-update-today-6789926/index1.html

As Airgetlam suggests, let's all try to keep this in one thread. We're working on it, but if you'd like I can make a ticket for you. Just submit a diagnostic from your Sonos system and put your confirmation number in that thread.
Same thing here!!!! Ever since that update it's been jacked up. They knew about it yesterday. Funny thing is... it was supposedly a new security agreement!!!! It's f'd up everything and I'm stuck in a Hurricane?
After updating to 7.3, the sound keeps cutting out while watching TV. The only way to get it back is to switch it to another audio source (radio station, music, etc) then quickly switch it back. Again, it only started doing this after I updated. My TV is a Vizio P-55. My diagnostic number is 7546768.
It appears that they're trying to get all of these issues in to one thread, located here:

Userlevel 1
Badge
Just checking in again. The problem of DD 5.1 sound cutting out is still happening on my system since the last Sonos update. PCM continues to fix the problem but this hardly a solution.
@Martin_28 I have found since doing a full rest on the Sonos its sorted the clicking, bit of a PITA todo though as needed to setup everything again, - a few other threads were reporting the same issue and this seams to be the "fix" for now.

i still get the 1-2 seconds of sound cutout every now and then when watching a DD feed,
@TheGeMan The clicking is evident on mine also. Noticed since posting.

Effectively I have the same setup as you (Playbar, 2x P1 surrounds, Sub Base, Samsung 65" curved.

Looking at App / About the audio shows as silent or Stereo depending on what I try and from which app.

Also affects Apple TV, with sound coming out when on Movie menus (assumedly stereo) then when the movie starts (and assumedly switches to DD) the sound cuts and the clicking begins.
Im Having the same problem as Martin_28 though i also get a clicking for a while on some TV (AC3) channels then it finally kicks in and i get some sound, have been experiencing drops in AC3 audio for some time before the 7.4 update and was hoping this was going to be fixed but just got worse, Samsun 65" + Playbar + 2x Play1 and a Sub not a "cheap" setup for bad 5.1 sound 😕
My playbar no longer able to read dolby dogital 2.0. I have to manually set to dolby digital if im watching from the netflix app. If Im watching the youtube app, playbar will not play any sound at all unless i switched it to PCM. My tv is samsung KS8000
Similar problems to the above. Just updated to 7.4, and Samsung 65" SmartTV connected direct via Optical to soundbar works with Sky Box, but Netflix, Amazon, TuneIn stopped working via Optical connection to Soundbar. Sent diagnostics 7744356. Tried PCM and Bistream without success.
Hello all same issue here. I have a Hitachi HD TV connected to my Playbar via optical. Checked all possible settings got support from Sonos via Twitter and got walked through some troubleshooting but am still without a resolution. TV audio cuts out randomly and the only way to get it back is to turn the TV off and on or play music then back to TV.
Badge
Hey guys! I’m experiencing the same problem with my playbase either watching tv or using the Xbox one I sent a diagnostic #7709735 a few days ago but haven’t heard back. This is frustrating. My playbase is connected directly to a vizio SmartCast P-50.
Final reply from Sonos support today...

The problem is known and for sure a "Sonos problem".
Sonos developers are working on a fix for the problem, and it will be released in a new update.
No timeframe for the solution, and until the update is realesed, the only fix is to switch optic output on TV to PCM.

I do not understand why Sonos is not open about this issue, and inform proactive that they work on a solution, but I'm also not Customer Relations responsible at Sonos ?

Now finaly Sonos support agreed to look into my problem, and a technician will contact me within the next days ?

I'm not happy to tell I have same issue here, but I'm happy to know I'm not the only one with this problem.
It seems like Sonos is not fully accepting they have an issue here, but hoåefully we will get a fix soon.
My set-up:
Philips 43PUS6412/12 with Playbar and 2x Play3.
Sound drops out when TV is sending Dolby 5.1 but works without problems when sending PCM.
When sound is lost, I can regain the sound by changing TV-channe to another channel and the back again, og simply to unplug the optical cable shortly from the Playbar.
The fix by short disconnection of the optical connection, tells me that it is a problem in the Playbar, because it can be reset without any changing on the TV.
I think the Playbar is going "bananas" maybe becayse of "noisy signal", and do not manage to get in sync by it selves.
Any resolution here? I'm seeing the same problem and using PCM as a workaround. Not happy about the poor audio quality
I am having the same issue with my playbar, audio drop while playing tv from a cable box. It can be fixed by changing channels or removing/reconnecting the optical cable Two weeks ago I purchased Vizio M55-E1 and had the issue which was submitted to Sonos including a diagnostic and was told it was a widespread issue, that someone would most likely contact me and that it was being worked on as it was a sonos issue to correct. I have since returned that TV for other reasons and hooked up a Sony 55X800e and have the same issue. I called again to let them know and asked for an update and this time had more of a curt response indicating it was being worked on and not to call back and when it is fixed I would know. I have switched the TV audio output to PCM and it does prevent the audio drops but obviously this is not a long term fix for the problem. Hope sonos is giving this issue getting the resources it needs as this is a major problem that needs to be rectified.
We just purchased our Sonos playbar and sub along with our LG OLED65b7a tv and had no idea any of this was happening.
We have static and cutouts while in playbacks for HBO Go or Netflix. We have to switch the tv over to something else and back again to make it stop. Since the soundbar is new we do not know if it has anything to do with the recent update.

We will be calling tomorrow and see what we find out.

We have switched to sending PCM after reading this message but this better be a temporary problem or we will be taking our speakers back to Best Buy!
Badge +1
I'm having the same issue with my playbar 5.1 setup. I've found that, if I have 'night sound' and 'speech enhancement' on, I can toggle them off and the sound returns. It's very frustrating.
Now finaly Sonos support agreed to look into my problem, and a technician will contact me within the next days ?

I'm not happy to tell I have same issue here, but I'm happy to know I'm not the only one with this problem.
It seems like Sonos is not fully accepting they have an issue here, but hoåefully we will get a fix soon.
My set-up:
Philips 43PUS6412/12 with Playbar and 2x Play3.
Sound drops out when TV is sending Dolby 5.1 but works without problems when sending PCM.
When sound is lost, I can regain the sound by changing TV-channe to another channel and the back again, og simply to unplug the optical cable shortly from the Playbar.
The fix by short disconnection of the optical connection, tells me that it is a problem in the Playbar, because it can be reset without any changing on the TV.
I think the Playbar is going "bananas" maybe becayse of "noisy signal", and do not manage to get in sync by it selves.