Playbar Cuts Out After Updating

Userlevel 1
After updating to 7.3, the sound keeps cutting out while watching TV. The only way to get it back is to switch it to another audio source (radio station, music, etc) then quickly switch it back. Again, it only started doing this after I updated. My TV is a Vizio P-55. My diagnostic number is 7546768.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

41 replies

Userlevel 1
Seeing similar on my Playbar. TV audio lost usually when changing channel or watching recorded programmes from TIVO. Fix is either play music on Sonos and go back to TV or go to menu on Tivo sometimes does it. Started happening straight after 7.3 update for me too. Doesn't happen every time you change channel but more often than not. Seemed to get better after updating my Harmony Remote and Hub but started again yesterday.

I replied on mccrazylegs post in Home Theatre forum as well; https://en.community.sonos.com/home-theater-228993/home-threatre-switch-from-music-to-tv-6788444/index1.html
I have a Vizio P-75 and it is doing exactly the same thing - audio stream shuts down after 10-15 minutes, but only when using my DVR from Xfinity. It started right after the 7.3 update. Can reset by going to different source and then back to TV. It is becoming quite painful to deal with. Sonos, any acknowledgement of this issue and a fix coming?
rogere65, how about submitting a system diagnostic and posting the number here, so that the folks at Sonos have an opportunity to look at your system, and maybe figure out what the issue is?
Badge
Same thing. Latest update has my system going bonkers. I have an open ticket but have not heard anything back. Most recent diagnostic submitted was 7572747.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Hi guys, we're happy to take a closer look. Generally speaking, this is probably best to work with a technician live. So if you're still having trouble, I'd recommend that you give us a call on our support line.

@hareball I just updated the technician that has your case right now, he'll be in touch shortly once he's had a chance to go through those diagnostics.
Same issue here- were you guys able to resolve?
Badge
I'm having the same problem since updating to 7.3. If I change the channel or access the TV menu/guide, sound resumes. I've noticed this happening when audio switches between Dolby 2.0 and Dolby 5.1, most notably when a commercial (Dolby 2.0) returns to the television program (Dolby 5.1). I've found no solution so far and have been in contact with tech support.
Userlevel 1
Badge
Same issue with me. Playbar hooked up to Sharp Aquos. Sub and Play 3's as surround. Completely regret performing the update. Diagnostic code 7626447.
Badge
Seems I have the same issue. Been a SONOS household for several years. Playbar setup worked okay up till several weeks ago (corresponding to the 7/1 update). Contact SONOS support w/ diagnostic #7625006 and walked through my details listed below. Got Incident # and was told SONOS is aware of this issue and is working on a fix with no ETA available yet. Was told only solution is to use PCM and turn off Dolby on TV output to SONOS. YUK!

A. Living Room SONOS 5.1 Setup

Sony KDL-55EX720 HDTV purchased 2011
TiVo Roamio connecting to TV via HDMI
(Cable service is Comcast and Roamio connects to two Mini's thru MOCA)
Sound bar connected to TV audio TOSLINK output optically. TV has DD5.1 pass thru on optical output.
Sonos Sub
Two Play 3's Bonded w/ Sound Bar as surrounds
One Play 3 (in adjacent Breakfast Nook) grouped usually with Playbar

B. Problem

Dropouts seem to have started approx 3-4 weeks ago? Wasn't noticeable prior.
Dropouts are no sound at all.
Seems to occur w/ 5.1 setting on TIVO and when program is playing DD5.1.
Occurs on various cable channels. Seems to happen most with news and
vocal content without any background sounds or quiet.
When it happens, Playbar still shows DD5.1 as input in "About My Sonos System"
Can be cleared by either switching channels back and forth or by turning TV off and on quickly.
Generally have Sonos "Speech Enhancement" and "Nighttime" settings on when using TV.

C. Things Ive Tried- Without Success

Changing HDMI inputs on TV for TIVo input
Changing TIVO network channels from 1 to 6 to 11. Also did network scan for both 2.4 and 5 bands
using UNIFI wireless access point verifying no significant wireless interference. I have Gigabit network
that provides 1 Gig wired and around 130 Mb downstream from my NetGear R6250 Router w/ Unifi WAP.
Verified TV channel strength at 95-100% and SNR's of -38 to -40dB on affected channels using TIVO diagnostics.
Verified TV had the latest software updates.

D. My Guess is-

SONOS update around 7/1 contained DD5.1 CODEC software changes which were incompatible with my 2011 Sony TV DD5.1 pass thru to optical output?

E. Temp Fix -
I've set TIVO & HDTV to output only PCM - no Dolby as a temp fix. I have another HDTV with a Multimedia AVR and dedicated speakers in a theater room for watching movies etc. This temp fix isn't desirable for me as I bought the SONOS sytem purely because it could do DD5.1 on the Playbar & Sub w/ remote wireless speakers. The other SONOS components followed.

Standing By......................

Sent from my iPad
Userlevel 1
Badge
I don't think it's possible for me to agree any stronger with gcshotshot's comment. I changed my DirecTV box to PCM for the time being to stop the audio dropouts. Even during the dropouts, my Playbar still lists as DD 5.1 in the "About My Sonos" section on the app. I was told in my diagnostic code that I was set to Stereo. I was watching the Dark Knight Returns before changing my DirecTV audio setting. Something in the CODEC is definitely messed up after this update.
I'm not happy to tell I have same issue here, but I'm happy to know I'm not the only one with this problem.
It seems like Sonos is not fully accepting they have an issue here, but hoåefully we will get a fix soon.
My set-up:
Philips 43PUS6412/12 with Playbar and 2x Play3.
Sound drops out when TV is sending Dolby 5.1 but works without problems when sending PCM.
When sound is lost, I can regain the sound by changing TV-channe to another channel and the back again, og simply to unplug the optical cable shortly from the Playbar.
The fix by short disconnection of the optical connection, tells me that it is a problem in the Playbar, because it can be reset without any changing on the TV.
I think the Playbar is going "bananas" maybe becayse of "noisy signal", and do not manage to get in sync by it selves.
Badge
Seems I have the same issue. Been a SONOS household for several years. Playbar setup worked okay up till several weeks ago (corresponding to the 7/1 update). Contact SONOS support w/ diagnostic #7625006 and walked through my details listed below. Got Incident # and was told SONOS is aware of this issue and is working on a fix with no ETA available yet. Was told only solution is to use PCM and turn off Dolby on TV output to SONOS. YUK!

A. Living Room SONOS 5.1 Setup

Sony KDL-55EX720 HDTV purchased 2011
TiVo Roamio connecting to TV via HDMI
(Cable service is Comcast and Roamio connects to two Mini's thru MOCA)
Sound bar connected to TV audio TOSLINK output optically. TV has DD5.1 pass thru on optical output.
Sonos Sub
Two Play 3's Bonded w/ Sound Bar as surrounds
One Play 3 (in adjacent Breakfast Nook) grouped usually with Playbar

B. Problem

Dropouts seem to have started approx 3-4 weeks ago? Wasn't noticeable prior.
Dropouts are no sound at all.
Seems to occur w/ 5.1 setting on TIVO and when program is playing DD5.1.
Occurs on various cable channels. Seems to happen most with news and
vocal content without any background sounds or quiet.
When it happens, Playbar still shows DD5.1 as input in "About My Sonos System"
Can be cleared by either switching channels back and forth or by turning TV off and on quickly.
Generally have Sonos "Speech Enhancement" and "Nighttime" settings on when using TV.

C. Things Ive Tried- Without Success

Changing HDMI inputs on TV for TIVo input
Changing TIVO network channels from 1 to 6 to 11. Also did network scan for both 2.4 and 5 bands
using UNIFI wireless access point verifying no significant wireless interference. I have Gigabit network
that provides 1 Gig wired and around 130 Mb downstream from my NetGear R6250 Router w/ Unifi WAP.
Verified TV channel strength at 95-100% and SNR's of -38 to -40dB on affected channels using TIVO diagnostics.
Verified TV had the latest software updates.

D. My Guess is-

SONOS update around 7/1 contained DD5.1 CODEC software changes which were incompatible with my 2011 Sony TV DD5.1 pass thru to optical output?

E. Temp Fix -
I've set TIVO & HDTV to output only PCM - no Dolby as a temp fix. I have another HDTV with a Multimedia AVR and dedicated speakers in a theater room for watching movies etc. This temp fix isn't desirable for me as I bought the SONOS sytem purely because it could do DD5.1 on the Playbar & Sub w/ remote wireless speakers. The other SONOS components followed.

Standing By......................

Sent from my iPad

Also using TIVO and have tried the same troubleshooting steps. I've also resorted to PCM and the problem has stopped. I wish Sonos would at least acknowledge the issue and advise when a fix can be expected. It's obviously something they did with 7.3...
Same issue for my system. Started after last update. Playbar drops sound have to go to music library and then back to TV sound. Really is getting old.
Same issue here. I am being asked by support to physically disconnect optical cable for further troubleshooting. With the TV and Playbar mounted on wall, I don't see how this is possible without a major production. Cables are impossible to reach.
Struggling with the same problem here. Vizio M60-C3. Whenever I pause whatever is playing on TV (Netflix, Hulu, PS4) or no sound for more than 2 seconds between scenes audio goes away, if I go into "About my SONOS System". Audio In is blank. After a few seconds to minutes sound suddenly returns. Running Version: 7.4 (beta) Diagnostics: 7640341. Used to work like a charm before.
If I unplug Soundbar sound does return after reboot (but problem keeps happening over and over again)
If I raise the volume up can hear a faint repetitive crackling noise on the surrounds speakers

Please help this is getting annoying.

UPDATE: For a temporary fix I decided to change my TV setting from Bitstream to PCM and problem immediately was solved. While playing a movie I went back to Bitstream and now I am not having any problems whatsoever and sound is back to 5.1. Not sure if this will be a permanent fix or if by going from one audio setup to another this solved whatever problem that was plaguing my sonos. You guys could just give it a shot.
And if it doesn't work, if you were to submit a system diagnostic, and post the number here, it would give the Sonos folks a much better chance of helping you fix the issue. Wouldn't hurt to include in the post with the diagnostic number the make and model of your TV, and the source of the audio (cable, game, DVD player, etc).
Now finaly Sonos support agreed to look into my problem, and a technician will contact me within the next days ?

I'm not happy to tell I have same issue here, but I'm happy to know I'm not the only one with this problem.
It seems like Sonos is not fully accepting they have an issue here, but hoåefully we will get a fix soon.
My set-up:
Sound drops out when TV is sending Dolby 5.1 but works without problems when sending PCM.
When sound is lost, I can regain the sound by changing TV-channe to another channel and the back again, og simply to unplug the optical cable shortly from the Playbar.
The fix by short disconnection of the optical connection, tells me that it is a problem in the Playbar, because it can be reset without any changing on the TV.
I think the Playbar is going "bananas" maybe becayse of "noisy signal", and do not manage to get in sync by it selves.
Badge +1
I'm having the same issue with my playbar 5.1 setup. I've found that, if I have 'night sound' and 'speech enhancement' on, I can toggle them off and the sound returns. It's very frustrating.
We just purchased our Sonos playbar and sub along with our LG OLED65b7a tv and had no idea any of this was happening.
We have static and cutouts while in playbacks for HBO Go or Netflix. We have to switch the tv over to something else and back again to make it stop. Since the soundbar is new we do not know if it has anything to do with the recent update.

We will be calling tomorrow and see what we find out.

We have switched to sending PCM after reading this message but this better be a temporary problem or we will be taking our speakers back to Best Buy!
I am having the same issue with my playbar, audio drop while playing tv from a cable box. It can be fixed by changing channels or removing/reconnecting the optical cable Two weeks ago I purchased Vizio M55-E1 and had the issue which was submitted to Sonos including a diagnostic and was told it was a widespread issue, that someone would most likely contact me and that it was being worked on as it was a sonos issue to correct. I have since returned that TV for other reasons and hooked up a Sony 55X800e and have the same issue. I called again to let them know and asked for an update and this time had more of a curt response indicating it was being worked on and not to call back and when it is fixed I would know. I have switched the TV audio output to PCM and it does prevent the audio drops but obviously this is not a long term fix for the problem. Hope sonos is giving this issue getting the resources it needs as this is a major problem that needs to be rectified.
Any resolution here? I'm seeing the same problem and using PCM as a workaround. Not happy about the poor audio quality
Final reply from Sonos support today...

The problem is known and for sure a "Sonos problem".
Sonos developers are working on a fix for the problem, and it will be released in a new update.
No timeframe for the solution, and until the update is realesed, the only fix is to switch optic output on TV to PCM.

I do not understand why Sonos is not open about this issue, and inform proactive that they work on a solution, but I'm also not Customer Relations responsible at Sonos ?

Now finaly Sonos support agreed to look into my problem, and a technician will contact me within the next days ?

My set-up:
Badge
Hey guys! I’m experiencing the same problem with my playbase either watching tv or using the Xbox one I sent a diagnostic #7709735 a few days ago but haven’t heard back. This is frustrating. My playbase is connected directly to a vizio SmartCast P-50.
Hello all same issue here. I have a Hitachi HD TV connected to my Playbar via optical. Checked all possible settings got support from Sonos via Twitter and got walked through some troubleshooting but am still without a resolution. TV audio cuts out randomly and the only way to get it back is to turn the TV off and on or play music then back to TV.
Similar problems to the above. Just updated to 7.4, and Samsung 65" SmartTV connected direct via Optical to soundbar works with Sky Box, but Netflix, Amazon, TuneIn stopped working via Optical connection to Soundbar. Sent diagnostics 7744356. Tried PCM and Bistream without success.